cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarkson in trouble - again

David_W
Rising Star

Clarkson in trouble - again

Looks like he made one of his usual off the cuff comments on BBC One...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15977813
Have we really gone so soft as a country that a guy who make his living by being rather offensive to everyone is threatened with the police because of a comment made as a joke?  No one in their right mind could take what Clarkson said seriously, in fact I don't think he even needs to apologise for his comments because some people got offended, that woman on the tram, now that was offensive so are the unions really saying that Clarkson was as offensive as that woman so needs the police to arrest him and charge him with making a personal observation in jest?
46 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Clarkson in trouble - again

He's got foot-in-the-mouth disease!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Unusually I was watching the One Show when Clarkson was on spouting his nonsense. He was plain distasteful and lacking in humour. He made me think of Jonathon Ross. Overpaid and past his sell by date.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

His later remarks questioning why trains have to be stopped after someone jumps in front of one as stopping the trains is not going to make any difference to them was even worse.
Why he still has a job with the BBC when you compare what he's said over the years with the events that led to the disciplining of Jonathon Ross defeats me.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

What a surprise - yesterday's One Show is not available on iPlayer!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

some people have had a sense of humour bypass  Grin Grin Grin
He's a jester, everybody knows his style. Why did the have him on on the day of the strike?  ho hum.... Huh Tongue Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

So Unison is calling for Clarkson's sacking for expressing an opinion about the strike....well there's a surprise Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
some people have had a sense of humour bypass  Grin Grin Grin

Indeed.  Roll eyes
There are obviously people out there who don't like him (I'm not exactly a fan) and are looking for any excuse to "get" him.
It's pathetic all round.  Cry
David_W
Rising Star

Well, I agree that he should apologise for the train comments, and I'm pretty sure he will apologise about that, the strikers comment though, if he gets sacked will he go to his Union to complain about it?  It was an exaggerated (I actually had to look up the spelling of that, I'm slowly losing my spelling capability Sad ) comment to make the point that the strikes cause misery to the majority of people who don't have a guaranteed gold plated pension and the ability to retire earlier than private sector workers.
The Unions are labelling him as Gadaffi, I'm sure old Gadaffi wouldn't say "they should be taken out and executed" he would have just taken them out and shot them, no strikes in the first place, it could be that he's a friend of Cameron and a Conservative more than anything.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
So Unison is calling for Clarkson's sacking for expressing an opinion about the strike....well there's a surprise Roll eyes

I don't think it was for "expressing an opinion", but the (to some people) offensive way he expressed it.  If he'd come on this forum and said what he did, I'm sure one of the mods would have had a quiet word.  I do agree with those who say that The One Show must have known what they were getting.  I'm pretty ambivilant about "Old Jezza", but even his biggest fans must admit that the persona he takes on for TV, is the archetypal Lord of the Manor.  Who would take us back to the 17th Century if he could. I'm sure he would say that everyone should have a vote, as long as the're not poor, or mad, or women, or foreign (in other words people like him - unless you count him in the "mad" category of course).
The whole thing probably is an over-reaction - but don't look for an apology from Clarkson - that really would be out of character  Smiley
John
randpwar
Grafter

Have to say I enjoy the antics of Clarkson and his Top Gear cohorts generally and although I doubt I would agree with him on any political topic, it gladdens my heart when he has a pop at some tin pot official trying to control our lives. I also like to think I’ve got a good sense of humour  but  I don’t think I’m suffering from a ‘humour bypass’ because I don’t find it at all humorous that a very rich and privileged  individual suggests that people like my colleagues and I that have, against our basic, hardworking ethos, have had to resort to striking as a protest and way of protecting our pensions, should be shot in front of our families for doing so…….forced to drive the car he thinks is the worst for a week I could go for but I probably still couldn’t afford one
&David W Believe me, there is nothing ‘gold plated’ about the pension I will receive after paying for many years 6% of my salary and more than that more recently. I do fully realise that public sector workers will probably never get the ‘public support’, mainly because of prevalent misconceptions such as this, but I haven’t  received an annual pay award for several years and now will only get a maximum of 1% for the next two; given that prices are rising at a much higher rate I can expect to be even worse off than now in future
David_W
Rising Star

There was an article on the BBC trying to compare Public and Private pensions, although they stated it was very difficult for many reasons, the Hutton Report stated:
Lord Hutton, in his influential report on public sector pensions, says that there is no evidence that pay is lower for public sector workers to reflect higher levels of pension provision.
It's very difficult to compare the two (as stated)
this link does try though and the results are a bit staggering to say the least...
"Alexander Forbes' sums show that someone earning £40,000 at retirement, having spent a forty-year career working for the state, is likely to be on course for a pension worth £26,667.
In his calculations, Mr Carey assumed that a worker's salary increased in line with RPI inflation at 4 per cent over the forty-year period, finally reaching £40,000 by the age of 62; and that gross contributions were at 6 per cent of salary*.
Contributions over the forty years tally £46,000.
To buy an inflation-linked pension worth £26,667 in the annuity market, a saver would need a pot worth around £900,000, according to pension provider Hargreaves Lansdown, due to the equivalent inflation-linked annuity rate being 2.88 per cent.
While annuity rates have crashed below 6,000 per £100,000 for healthy pensioners, they are even lower for those who want their payouts to rise with inflation each year, says Hargreaves' Danny Cox.
Carey points out that several assumptions underpin his analysis. However, he insists they are fair and fairly representative of wider public sector."
Maybe not Gold Plated but out of the reach of most normal people, when I was working 12 hour shifts I was pulling in around (say) £1,200 a month, to get that same level of pension I would have had to put away 50% of my wage towards my pension rather than 6% (it's apparently £600/month to get the same level of pension for the private sector)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: randpwar
&David W Believe me, there is nothing ‘gold plated’ about the pension I will receive after paying for many years 6% of my salary and more than that more recently. I do fully realise that public sector workers will probably never get the ‘public support’, mainly because of prevalent misconceptions such as this,

Public sector workers have not paid into a pension fund then had it stolen by the likes of Maxwell and this has happen many times but only the largest  schemes are reported in the press.
Are the Public sector workers that have been paying into a final salary pension are being changed to  money purchase pensions like the majority of private sector workers?
Community Veteran

All publicity is good publicity !
Clarkson like many other public figures know this because it's free advertising.
Most people will have heard or Clarkson but even the few who haven't will have heard of him now.
There are lots of so called celebrities like him who do or say outrageous things but all it seems to do in this day and age is increase their following.
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
I would have had to put away 50% of my wage towards my pension

Probably not far wrong. Just do the sums.
Assume that inflation washes out - investments grow, prices rise. OK it's simplistic but not a bad start.
Life expectancy maybe 90 or more, work from say 21 to 66.
That's 45 years working to pay for 25 years retirement.
If your pension is 2/3rds of your "typical" income then you'll need to save 2/3*25/45 = 37% of your income.
So you'll actually be WORSE off when working.......  Crazy