cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarks footwear - Stepping closer to going bust ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Clarks footwear - Stepping closer to going bust ?

Another retailer, reputedly to be one of the largest shoe retailers in the world (????) started to close their factories in the U.K. and now shop leases are not being renewed, hence shop closures, due to increasing losses

https://www.retail-week.com/fashion/clarks-blames-deepening-losses-on-climate-of-uncertainty/7033406...

another article here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/clarks-close-meaningful-number-shoe-20832644

61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Clarks footwear - Stepping closer to going bust ?

Have to say that for years and years I always used to buy Clarks shoes but in the past decade I stopped because I had several pairs that did not appear to be the quality they once were, not as hard wearing and comfortable, both myself and my OH have switched to either Rieker, Hotter or Josef Seibel for more everyday wear and find Skechers far better for casual use, unfortunately I don't think Clarks like a lot of old established companies have kept up with the times and have relied too much on their previous reputation.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Hobo 

Agreed.

They have lowered their costs by using companies that supply their goods to use cheaper products but banking on their name to keep prices high for customers.

They are not the only ones to do this, years ago I used to buy merrill trainers for fell walking, expensive but good, last couple of pairs were the same price but cheap rubbish so no longer use that brand.

Much of my everyday stuff comes from Primark but one of my daughter got me a cardigan last christmas from M&S...looks ok but after wearing it a couple of times the stitching was coming undone....so much for quality.

Highlighted
Grafter

@gleneagles 

Living in the far west of Cornwall we do a lot of walking on the coastal paths and have always used and still do use Merrell Gore-Tex walking shoes, so far no complaints about quality of the latest recent ones we have.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

You can bet a lot of shoes and clothing are made in the same factory in Bangladesh or Vietnam,  just branded differently.  If people like Clarks and M&S want to get a bigger mark-up than people like Primark for roughly the same items well no wonder the customers are voting with their feet.

I remember when we lived in Oz, the consumer standards people tested clothing and shoes from the high end 'designer' brands and places like their version of Primark ( one was called Target, and then there was Woolworths which was more food and clothing orientated that Woolworths in UK ).   Their findings were that the materials in many of cheaper brands were actually more wear resistant and could be washed many more times than the higher cost and designer brands which cost eye-watering sums... the only thing is they they had the 'wrong' label...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Always bought Clarks for our kids back in the day even though they were more expensive and we were on a tight budget. Never passed shoes down to the younger ones either all of which my Mrs was most determined about. Not often enough we've bought them for ourselves as well if the price and style have been right especially when they have been in a sale. 

Like M&S you paid a bit extra but expected (and nearly always got) better quality. 

It'll be a sad loss if they do go bust as they are such an old company, but are their shoes still made in the UK though - I'm thinking not.

..... chap on holiday in Taiwan, buys himself a cheap pair of shoes and then looks to see where they were made. On the box it said 'Over the Road'  

😂😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Hobo 

Might be the fact we live up north, we get a lot of rubbish in this area......

On a more serious note I might just have been unlucky but I would have expected to see standards the same....if it had been one pair that slipped through inspection control fine.....but 2 pairs..?

Sorry .....they have lost my custom...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Dead right there... couple of years back and still thinking in my own naive way that their stuff was made in the UK, checked out the label on some pants I was buying and really surprised to see they were made in Bangladesh. They were not cheap either but you do wonder about the low wages the workers are probably getting.

So what option (other than go commando) do we have. 😣

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup

I could never understand why people pay high prices to wear something with a company name on it except professional sports people who get paid or their club gets paid for them wearing clothes with a company logo.

Some of the stupid prices people pay simply amazes me. Even worse are poor families with children who get blackmailed into buying this rubbish for their children....other children seem well versed in knowing what's real and whats fake.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I was always shod in Clarks shoes as a youngster, right up until a couple of years before leaving school. I followed through this with my Son, even though his feet went up in flames one year after a spark from a sparkler lit up his laces!!

I never bothered with them as an adult as they never had the sort of shoes I wanted to wear, or would be seen wearing as a teenager. My family still buy Clarks for their kids, but I think most people only relate to them for the childrens' market?

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

I agree with what others have said about the diminishing quality of Clarks shoes, but that can probably be said for many things these days!

I don't wear lower cut shoes, preferring boots for the added protection against ankle sprains on uneven ground (including dodgy pavements!) and a few weeks ago had my current favourite pair of Clarks re-heeled (which I think was quite fortunate as along with many shoes these days they appear to have those hollow heels).

If anybody is interested in really cheap 'walking' boots, Aldi are presently selling these at £19.99 which I bought a pair of a few days ago, don't look too bad and are probably good value at that price.  Obviously I won't be expecting them to last long at that price, and the heels/soles are probably not repairable, but hey-ho.  I just wore them out in the rain earlier for an hour and they seem reasonably comfortable from the off, probably more so after wearing a few more times.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Clarks and M&S are the brands I always look out for when browsing in charity shops. It would be sad if they go bust. Their clothes and shoes always tend to fit well for me and are decent quality.

I always seem to manage to find a good pair that have probably been used just for display with no signs of wear.

Looking on the bright side if Clarks do go bust maybe a lot more of their stock will find there way onto the charity shop shelves.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Slightly off-topic, but as a kid, I used to think Clarks was actually "Clanks", because the R in the way they write the name looked like an N to me... 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran

You just made me look at the bottom of one of my shoes.

And yes you're right.😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

I can`t remember exactly when it was.... but must be at least 5 years ago....maybe even longer,. I was out looking for a new pair of shoes... Prices on the high street were unbelievable.. around £150 to £200+ 

So, I decided to look on line, and found a site that were selling the shoes that I was looking for,

They were £35.00 a pair , I think, at the time... REAL LEATHER upper and soles.  I was not sure which size would fit, so I contacted them and asked if they sent me two pair...  size 9 and size 9.5  could I return the pair that were not a good fit, and change them for the size that did fit....No problem they said..

Paid over my £70   and two days later they arrived... complete with shoe horn and spare set of laces in each box... AND a voucher for 50% off some huge wined offer. ! ! ..( shame I don`t drink....but ...)

ok...so I tried them on...and decided and sent back the size that was not comfy... they sent me the other size that did fit....and ANOTHER voucher....  ! ! ..

Now... these shoes, look as good as new... have been soled with rubber soles and heels a few times...but they are comfortable, and I wear them every day... 

I kept the website URL..... just in case, I needed to send them back or complain....  or if I needed to order some more..

In case you are looking around for some REALLY GOOD QUALITY shoes... I can definitely recommend these.

https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/mens-shoes/oxford-shoes/classic-oxford-shoe-black/BV3

With shoes of this quality, and at this price... it is not surprising that the likes of Clarks is closing its business down...