cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarks footwear - Stepping closer to going bust ?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clarks footwear - Stepping closer to going bust ?

Polyvelts - Cornish Pasties for the feet Grin

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter wrote:

Another retailer, reputedly to be one of the largest shoe retailers in the world (????) started to close their factories in the U.K. and now shop leases are not being renewed, hence shop closures, due to increasing losses

https://www.retail-week.com/fashion/clarks-blames-deepening-losses-on-climate-of-uncertainty/7033406...

another article here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/clarks-close-meaningful-number-shoe-20832644

you are aware that they were making most of there shoes overseas for the last 15 years right? 

a lot of the modern offerings were poor quality compared to the past yet they had higher prices, add all of that to the fact there supply of raw materials within the UK dried up and they have failed to utilise a cheap synthetic alternative and the retail model is all but defunct in todays internet world its really not a massive surprise any company clinging to such outdated options is in trouble...

realistically they should have started closing there own stores a decade ago and moving towards a section within supermarkets or department stores as well as the online thing... the fact they like many other monolithic giants failed is it any wonder they are slowly dying …. this is normal its called evolution, the strong survive the weak disappear, its a shame for the workforce but realistically its not unsurprising /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@nanotm wrote:

@shutter wrote:

Another retailer, reputedly to be one of the largest shoe retailers in the world (????) started to close their factories in the U.K. and now shop leases are not being renewed, hence shop closures, due to increasing losses

https://www.retail-week.com/fashion/clarks-blames-deepening-losses-on-climate-of-uncertainty/7033406...

another article here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/clarks-close-meaningful-number-shoe-20832644

you are aware that they were making most of there shoes overseas for the last 15 years right? 

It matters not, where they get their (stock) shoes made.... I don`t buy " designer names" in Clothes Or Shoes... I buy what ever I like, and whatever fits me most comfortably..

Those who`s lives depend on being "in" or "fashionable", buying whatever is "on trend" , are not living in the real world... they just float around in it, like butterflies in the wind.

Highlighted
Pro

@shutter 

ahh a man after my own heart, I generally prefer function over form as well, on average I purchase a pair of boots in clarks for the missus every decade (when the old pair can no longer be resoled) and thats primarily becasue there the only place that makes them small enough for her petite self.... 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just goes to show the power of adverts....they have convinced ( mostly the young) that they must have certain items and of course those things will be out of date within 6 months.

Like @nanotm  & @shutter  I just buy what fits me....if anyone is not happy with the way I look that's their problem not mine.

The only thing I spent a lot of money on was top quality walking boots (( Altberg) get them resoled every 2 or 3 years, and of course decent walking socks.....tried a few walking clothes from Aldi/lidi and they are not too bad.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Don't forget we were all young once. Teens & 20's we had to buy and be seen wearing the named gear........

Highlighted
Hero

@Anonymous wrote:

Polyvelts - Cornish Pasties for the feet Grin

OT, but Cornish pasties have many other uses too.

Anybody remember the 2004 Boscastle flood?

I heard they've since installed flood defences;

Pasty-dam.jpg

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

But if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time wearing the wrong colour of trainers...

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

The only thing I spent a lot of money on was top quality walking boots (( Altberg) .

@gleneagles 

I just Googled the name (impressive looking boots), and saved a link to the site.for possible future use (if I can ever afford them!).  Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Champnet wrote:

Don't forget we were all young once. Teens & 20's we had to buy and be seen wearing the named gear........

Er... Nope.... Had to be seen wearing the Queen`s Uniform of the Royal Navy... ( in various formats, depending on duties, time of day, location, home or abroad, etc....   ) .

. and I wore it with Pride.  ( that is in the original context of the word PRIDE... not the current snowflake version ) .

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Extra was £3.90 for parking for 3 hours and other purchases  WERE wanted items and also very discounted too.Roll_eyes

at Gunwharf quays.

However, there is a lot of useless swaft  on the wharf that is not for man or beast 😁

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles  A good British brand  😉do you get them from the shop or on-line with the discount? https://www.altberg.co.uk/category/factory-made-boots/

Highlighted
Pro

As a business model dedicated brand shops are on the decline and many have a concession within a larger departments store. LK Bennett do this in the UK and Clarks have concessions in department stores in Europs such as Cortes Ingles in Spain. It would seem a sensible way to trade as there is a much larger footfall.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Good example is Thorntons, slowly migrating from their own shops onto the supermarket shelves..

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@Champnet wrote:

Good example is Thorntons, slowly migrating from their own shops onto the supermarket shelves..

Thorntons is a British chocolate brand established by Joseph William Thornton in 1911. Thorntons Limited has been owned by Italian company Ferrero since 2015.