Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Church Bells

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Church Bells

The Bells, The Bells.....
One thing we missed whilst away was the sound of Sunday Morning Bells from the local Church welcoming Worshippers to the Sunday Services.
They are ringing out right now, quite loud with our Windows open, or outside in the Garden.
A welcome Clarion call.

And to think, not long ago, some new residents in another Village wanted to silence the local Church Bells !!
I don't think they were successful.

We also hear them for Weddings.
And during Practise sessions, they can be a little annoying, the same refrain over & over again.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Church Bells

That's something I miss.
My local churches bells are not heard as often as they used to be.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What time on a Sunday morning do they sound ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've not heard church bells for over 15 years  Shocked
I don't even know what happened to them.. the years i mean.. not the bells lol.
Round my way we have a church that crumbled after it was hit by a bomb in the war. Legend has it that the roof collapsed a week later along with the remaining walls. The one thing that remains standing is the tower and one of the side rooms. The bells were apparently removed and taken to the nearby city where the local church tower made use of them instead of having their own bells recast. Another tale says that they were simply removed and sold for scrap. I don't suppose we'll ever know for definite but the tower still stands impressively but doesn't have it's own stair case and was a ladder job. I often think it would make a good little converted house but the present owners (friends of abandoned churches) would never sell it off. Plus it would be a bit creepy having a graveyard for a garden lol.
Church bells in england differ from those around the rest of the world in that they're incredibly clever and complex bits of kit that physically swing on a big wheel. No idea why we became so inventive about them but they're interesting to see in action (though incredibly loud too):

They also have to be hung to swing in different directions to distribute the momoentum they create. I heard a rumour years ago of a tower that had them all hung the same way and it eventually cracked the tower  Crazy
@PCUK there is a special device made of wood that can be fitted into church bells to hold the clapper in the middle (so it doesn't strike and make noise) but many church towers don't like fitting them for practice.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
What time on a Sunday morning do they sound ?

Around 9:30am, until 10:15am
Quote from: 7up
I've not heard church bells for over 15 years  Shocked
@PCUK there is a special device made of wood that can be fitted into church bells to hold the clapper in the middle (so it doesn't strike and make noise) but many church towers don't like fitting them for practice.

Perhaps someone put the mutes in and forgot to take them out !!
Thanks for the info, it only goes on for an hour or so, it's a bit like a car alarm.... one burst, then silence, repeated, until you think they have finished.... then they do some more !!
We tend to keep adjacent windows closed during practising.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And some churches just use a  tape or similar recorder rather than real bells.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Which is cheating IMO but bell ringing is a dying interest. It's physically demanding too which is ok for some folks but there is also a skill to bell ringing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I lived in the centre of the city of York till I was 8 years old and I still remember the Minster bells. What a great sound, it must have been extraordinary to register wit me at such an early age.  Cheesy
In our village our 11th century church only has two bells. -  just ding dong. We ring for morning services from around 10.15 to 10.45 and we don't get any complaints  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

A few Sundays ago I was walking down past the rear of Sheffield Cathedral when the bells started.
Very loud and very impressive sending a bit of a shiver down my back.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation