Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chunky Steak Pies

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Chunky Steak Pies

Another favourite of mine... !  Used to buy them fresh made/baked in our Local Morrisons, vaguely remember them being 80p each.. superb value for money... lovely crisp pastry... plenty of chunky steak and gravy inside..

prior to this... I used to like Pukka Pies, from the Chip shop, until they got too expensive ! ! ..  Morrisons started to do them, but, again, they were about £2 each off the shelf.. and... obviously not as fresh baked as the in-store one`s.

During lockdown.. it was a "missing item" from our shopping list, until I saw they did a pack of two "Microwave" steak pies.  2 for £2.00 .... noticed lately they have had a chunky price rise to 2 for £2.50  ( though currently on offer at £2 ! ).

these pies are "o.k."  and quite filling,  but here`s a tip.... do not fully cook in the microwave....  defrost  or only cook on full power for a couple of mins... then transfer them to a "Proper" oven (we have a small electric one, about the same size as a microwave - brill ! )... and finish cooking in there at 200 for about 10 mins.. 

Why?  because when you microwave them... the pastry goes all soggy.  ! .

30 REPLIES 30
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Chunky Steak Pies

I used to like Morrisons chunky steak pies, but then found they became a bit gristly. Haven't had a pie now for yonks. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

The only shop bought meat pies I eat are those with minced meat in them as the thought of biting down on a lump of gristle again as I have done in supermarket sausages and once in a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie some years back makes me shudder.

Pukka Pies are nice and I did try and buy a Pukka Pie clock once but it was far to expensive. 

R.gif

Now one of these I'd go for. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Morrisons also used to sell Weight Watchers' low calorie Pizzas, but seeing as I fell out with Morrisons about 25 years ago because they wouldn't take my disabled friend from College on a work placement (pre Equality Act) I don't shop there.

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

So Tesco off your shopping list and Morrisons.

*shakes head*

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

@shutter wrote:

... I used to like Pukka Pies, from the Chip shop, until they got too expensive ! ! ..  Morrisons started to do them, but, again, they were about £2 each off the shelf ...

I like Pukka Pies too @shutter but I only buy them when they're on offer at £1 each for the individual size, which several of the supermarkets sell them at every few weeks.  (Morrisons, Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco - with Clubcard).

I just look on my phone to see where the offers are and buy several for the freezer;  https://www.trolley.co.uk/ is a good place to compare prices, and really quick if you save the URLs for your commonly bought items.

Edit: For those averse to it, it's very rare to find gristle in a Pukka Pie. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ditto re gristle in Pukka pies, but then I don't buy the 'chunky meat' ones so...

Minced beef and onion, and for others they also do vegan chicken (aka imitation meat with taste added) and mushroom pies. 

How do the get away with calling it chicken and not chicken flavour I've no idea. 🤔 

Thomas A. Edison
TTman
Seasoned Champion

I used to buy M&S scotch steak pies which were very nice but they stopped doing them and the steak pies they now do are not good....all gravy and a couple of bits of meat. Have tried Morrisons but found them short of meat so not keen. Found a butchers in Otley that did steak pies that are the best steak pies ive ever had, full of meat and very tasty. Infact one of the first thing I ate when I started eating solid food after my cancer treatment. Went and bought 3 yesterday had one last night and put other two in freezer. Really good  butcher!!! All meat sourced locally. 

RobPN
Hero

@TTman wrote:

I used to buy M&S scotch steak pies which were very nice but they stopped doing them and the steak pies they now do are not good....all gravy and a couple of bits of meat. 

These individual size M&S steak pies are well-filled @TTman , dissection starts around 1:15 into the video Wink

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN  Not the pies that M&S first changed to but these look like they are good to try if I cant get the butchers ones. There is more meat in the butchers ones but plenty in M&S onesThumbs_UpThumbs_Up 

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Many years ago I was out doing technical stuff at a large butchers when I saw a huge blue drum full of what I would describe as waste product; gristle, meat, blood, oats, entrails etc. Is that for the bin says I to the man; "Gawd no that's for the tup pies". Me,  I've never eaten another one since.

'tup pie' is a colloquialism for a Scotch Pie.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

You don't think he was winding you up do you as I cannot see that going into pies m'self.                                                    Sausages probably or maybe, but not pies surely. 

When we lived overseas you had to actually ask for minced meat (viande hachée) as it was never on display and even in the supermarkets they would slice up a chunk of the meat your choice and mince it up in front of you. Sort of what you see is what you get.

Local butcher every time here and easier now as since Covid the one we used also does same day (usually in the evenings) delivery. 

PS. Tup here in Wales is used to mean 'stupid'. "He's a bit tup mun". 

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero

@Mook wrote:

... "Gawd no that's for the tup pies". Me,  I've never eaten another one since.

'tup pie' is a colloquialism for a Scotch Pie.

@Mook 

I believe there's also something called 'Haggis' in Scotland?  Roll_eyes Cheesy Wink

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Think I will stick to my cheese and onion pie.

😁

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

If only you knew what really went into onions. 😂

Thomas A. Edison