cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas tipping...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Christmas tipping...

Of bin-men. This is the first year I can remember that I haven't tipped our bin-men. Since the introduction of fortnightly collections (for this area) earlier last year there are so many of them. In fairness we do have food waste and compost-able's collected weekly, household rubbish, plastics and paper separately alternate bi-weekly.
Prior to this we had two jolly guys picking up the whole lot weekly, I tipped them very well and when required some bits they weren't supposed to collect disappeared into the back of their truck with a nod and a wink.
Now we have:
Household crew 3
Compost and cardboard crew 2 sometimes 3
Plastics crew 2
Paper crew 2  (sometimes depending which type of truck they're using, they may do plastics as well)
Its rare also to see the same crews twice running, and haven't seen "our" jolly pair for ages.
For the most part these guys and gals, yes, there are at least two working in this area, are the unsung hero's that make modern life bearable, would you want to do it? But, is this progress...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Christmas tipping...

I don't think I could catch them as they're down our road like greased lightning.
The postman is such a grumpy soul no matter what the weather......but I tipped the window cleaner who's a very cheerful chap Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I tip our Post Lady, she goes out of her way to see we dont loose any mail
Dustbin people, we have male and female, the speed they work, they are either on a bonus or Job and Done
Pierre
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
The postman is such a grumpy soul no matter what the weather......but I tipped the window cleaner who's a very cheerful chap Smiley

I "sacked" our window cleaner earlier this year, had to go round after him cleaning the streaks and stains he left on the windows!!
We have an issue with the post round here. The local sorting office was closed down in August and has brought nothing but mis-delivered mail in this estate, because of our position in it we seem to be a dumping ground for all the post the postmen can't be bothered to look for.
We had brilliant posties, remember this is just north of Watford. We now have Polish, Latvian postmen who's command of written English leaves much to be desired. Further this area now comes under central Watford who use postmen and women from central London to cover the shortages. Parcels are even worse, long before the Christmas "rush" period we were getting Parcelforce guys who were on relief from Gloucester.
More progress...  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This year:-
Postie, (had the same guy since 1990):- two bottles of wine in a gift box,  (he waits for collections and will often 'take' parcels and packages, deliver stamps to order and has delivered Bread, milk and newspapers on request)
If the road is blocked through snow fall he will telephone ahead ask if we need anything and wait in the layby on the mainroad half mile away (having his break) until somebody comes and picks up the deliveries.
Bin-Men:-  6 x mince pies per truck.
Community Veteran

Postie (looks like a 16 year old, but then we are somewhat older!!) but very helpful, runs his round once he is out of his van. Bottle of above average wine. Refuse collections still weekly hereabouts, one crew for household stuff and one crew for recyclables, both without any problems. Two packs of John Smiths Original each seemed to be satisfactory. Will continue unless service is forced to be poorer or pensions fall below the breadline.
Community Veteran

The only person I tip is my paper boy.  He's around in all weather and always makes sure the papers are pushed right through my letterbox.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Never tipped anyone but I did intend to tip the postie this year as he's very good. Always a happy chap, friendly, ensures we all get our post and he lives in the same road too - we see him walking his dog every now and again. Unfortunately I missed him and felt rather bad about it as I'd got his card and tip ready but didn't want to put it on the front door for him incase the 'other' post man (some younger miserable bloke) was covering for him instead. I don't know which exact house he lives in so couldn't do the deed either. I was a bit gutted as we really like this postie - most friendly we've had and always waves as you drive past etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: artmo
The only person I tip is my paper boy.  He's around in all weather and always makes sure the papers are pushed right through my letterbox.

Same for me, "Free" local paper, same day, same time every week.
At Christmas time he does knock on the door, hands me a card and wishes me a Merry Christmas, and gets £2 for his efforts.
This year I didn't hear him knock, card was pushed through door with local paper, "From Ben & Grandad" , so the following week I taped his card envelope to the door, enc £2, and saw him take it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Usually tip the paper boy, unfortunately our regular one has gone and the replacement was useless, not uncommon for him either to forget us or deliver the wrong paper so no tip this year apart from the verbal variety.
Postman is excellent, will leave parcels with neighbours and when we tipped a tenner he said, " I Should be tipping you for taking in other peoples parcels" Great bloke with a good sense of humour.
Other tips at different times of the year include Local Barber, eating out & when on Holiday.
Prior to retiring I often worked over Christmas and never got a single tip in my life !