cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas card for geeks

Community Veteran

Re: Christmas card for geeks

Great looking cards Poppy.  I can see you've put a lot of work into them.  How long does it take to make one on average?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My wife is into craft rather a lot, started into Bobbin lace years ago, used to teach it at Braintree College, then did a City and Guilds in Quilting, ill health put and end to both of those, started card making about 2000. 
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: poppy
so as not to bore everyone silly, here is just one that I made earlier so to speak:

poppy, that is a lovely card, do you sell them?
Not applicable

Artmo - timewise, it's probably the inspiration that is pretty troublesome. Once you have decided what to do, the cutting and sticking is not so bad. Then when the outer part is done I have to go into Publisher and create and insert for it.
All told, it can take two or three hours work in an evening for me to do just one (not counting the clearing up - as Pierre will confirm, it can be a messy hobby). However, I am pretty new at it and I start from scratch whereas some folk use pre-printed card material. It's a lovely feeling when things have come together, although I nearly always think 'maybe I should have done this or that'. Mrs Pierre, however, is very experienced and accomplished as she has been doing this a fair while and has more equipment to hand then I. I wonder if Pierre has a clandestine attempt at card/craft work?
MC - no, I don't sell the cards - I could never make it pay as it takes too long. Also, the materials have to be paid for, although some of them aren't so bad. Mostly it is stuff like photocard, the actual card and envelope, peel-off stickies, mirri card and other bits and pieces. They go a long way if you are careful. I use the computer a fair bit and that saves time and money as you can photocopy or download graphics.
Thank you for your nice comments (not often you get a compliment at my age) - I am blushing!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I used to make cards via a program, it allowed variable pictures (Line art generally) on any page and had stock phrases.  still got the program but havnt used it since SWMBO got into making them by hand. 
Selling them!  the actual material cost is not high - unless you go to rip of stores like Hobbycraft, its the time that is the cost factor.  I know you can make speed cards with very little actual art in them, i.e a stuck on bow or xmas tree, a stuck on legend, you can probably make about 5-10 an hour.
You then get people at fairs and market stall selling them for charity at around £1.00  no way do they meet their true costs.   a good hand made card - probably £2.50 - £3.00
Other crafts.   Lace Making - a labour of love - the prices offered even for antique lace is rediculously low
                         Cross Stitch - the Victorian Samplers made by children have at last started to reach a reasonable price, must have taken them about 100 hours to make and until recently you were lucky to get them for about £20
I did a cross Stitch of the Camargue horses, was in a show and tell at the local library -amusing myself, somebody said could I buy it told them It would cost about £800 they thought £40 more correct.  the material, threads and frame alone cost £60. then there was all the hours of work.  I did a nativity scene and ran a clock of all my hours put in multiplied by min hourly rate and came to over £3000.  How can you sell them?
a couple of mine below, how much?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Updated 3 pics on post 11
The Carmargue horses I finished Feb 2002
The Nativity started in March and completed Dec 2004
Not applicable

They are absolutely fantastic. I particularly love the nativity scene - my friend would be thrilled with that one.
The fish ones are very detailed - you are obviously skilled at your craft. Very well done.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I only do sensible one  Grin I was given a Winni & Tiger one, didnt want to hange so gave it to the Childrens Burn Ward at Essex burns and plastic surgery unit.
Currently doing on of the British owls, driving me potty, lots of single stitches and 46 different colours.  Dont want to bore you with more pics
Fixes: 634

pierre and poppy, very impressive both of you  Smiley
Wish I had the patience and talent  to do it  Grin
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'