cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Tree Lights - and how behind the times I am

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Christmas Tree Lights - and how behind the times I am

Installed the Christmas Tree Lights and found five bulbs weren't working - fortunately it is one of those systems where a bulb failing doesn't stop the whole string lighting.
Used up nearly all the spare bulbs (only one left now) so thought I had better think about getting a few spares for next year
The only source is the original manufacturer as the local stockist doesn't carry spares. Set of 21 multicolour bulbs £5
SWMBO comment - it would be nearly cheaper to get a new set for next year.
Off to Amazon to check - steps back in amazement - they are nearly all LED now and quite reasonably priced so next year will splash out on a new set - the extravagance of Oldjim  Grin
9 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Christmas Tree Lights - and how behind the times I am

buy them in a couple of days when they price crash to clear the warehouse  Grin
its what I did last year because I hate the horrible old blown bulb stuff, that and last year our fiberoptic tree got a bit busted up when some box rage and a few teenagers got caught up together with it ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

Having recently taken an interest in LED lighting I checked the box of a string of white lights I have for round a window and was pleased to see these are the LED variety and the whole 7 metre string consumes 10 watts.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

LED xmas lights are more reliable. We've not put anything up yet this year but we do have LED lights that normally reside in the window.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

My Christmas tree is one of those fibre optic things with a halogen reflector bulb in the base with a rotating multi-coloured disc.
Saves draping lights all over it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Installed the Christmas Tree Lights and found five bulbs weren't working - fortunately it is one of those systems where a bulb failing doesn't stop the whole string lighting.
Used up nearly all the spare bulbs (only one left now) so thought I had better think about getting a few spares for next year
The only source is the original manufacturer as the local stockist doesn't carry spares. Set of 21 multicolour bulbs £5
SWMBO comment - it would be nearly cheaper to get a new set for next year.
Off to Amazon to check - steps back in amazement - they are nearly all LED now and quite reasonably priced so next year will splash out on a new set - the extravagance of Oldjim  Grin

BIB
They used to be designed to short circuit when blown, so preserving the series circuit.
Down side is that, as each bulb short circuits, the remaining bulbs are subject to a higher series voltage, so they blow even faster !!
LED's that's the way to go.
And they are usually really cheap in the shops after Christmas !
Also means if battery / solar recharged power supply versions means they are more portable, where this isn't a mains socket.
Preferably powered by NiMH cells.
Mine last about 14 hours continuous, ie around 4 nights per charge.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Strat
My Christmas tree is one of those fibre optic things with a halogen reflector bulb in the base with a rotating multi-coloured disc.

CHEAT!
Lol  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Strat

mine had an ultra bright led in the base, it was brilliant but I can't afford the outlay for another one (I bought it several years ago whilst still in work) and the simplicity of the rotating disc with 5 colours was epic Smiley
this year I got a new tree (still fake) and a string of 800 lights (that made the wife rather dizzy running round the tree to string them ), in hindsight a max of 400 lights would of done  but you cant beat having a tree that costs a penny a month to run (especially when a 20 string of the old style lights costs a quid for the same period), I have replaced most of the lights in the house now with led versions and so far my electric bill is £10 cheaper than the same period last year, if the lights last another 3 years then I will have saved as much as it cost to buy them Smiley
still anything that doesn't make the leccy meter spin round like its possessed is a bonus for this time of year
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK

Also means if battery / solar recharged power supply versions means they are more portable, where this isn't a mains socket.
Preferably powered by NiMH cells.
Mine last about 14 hours continuous, ie around 4 nights per charge.

Another benefit of batteries is no rubbish power supply to cause your router to resync!
Community Veteran

Just trim the wicks on the candles and make sure the flames are not too close to other branches.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.