cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas TV

Community Veteran

Christmas TV

Some dreadful programmes on TV this Christmas but last night I recorded 'An audience with Ken Dodd' Just watched it and it is one of the funniest things I've seen for a long time.  We certainly don't get comedy like that now. It was made in 1994 but still so fresh Smiley
17 REPLIES
kdoug007
Grafter

Re: Christmas TV

I  had  recorded ,, the  100th  royal variety show,,  and  saw  it  late on  christmas  day,,
  was  fantastic..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I gave up on xmas TV ages ago. It just seems useless these days. When I was a kid there used to be loads of christmas films on the TV and no matter how bad times were, the chrimbo TV was always something to look forward to. These days its total and utter cr@p.
I also drew another conclusion recently too. The Supermarkets and TV stations don't get along. Why?..
The supermarkets are trying to promote christmas from late September / early October and you'll see the christmas stuff in store appearing then too. The TV stations on the other hand are doing their damndest to pretend christmas doesn't exist by giving us as much non-christmas tv as possible - right up to the final few days before Dec 25th. This cycle repeats every year with the retailers trying to rinse christmas and the TV stations trying to ignore it. I'm sure the two industries must be trying to wind each other up lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Some dreadful programmes on TV this Christmas

Completely agree, wasted the cost of a TV listing mag and hardly bothered with it. Even the scattered Morcombe & Wise programmes seemed a bit jaded this year with long diatribes from "guests" filling the time (and their pockets presumably) To me there seem to be far too many regular shows with a celebrity (Z list) title around this year. Bomb of the season "Celebrity Family Fortunes" a show I cannot abide at the best of times...awful.
At least the generally awful "Christmas Night with the Stars" was mercifully dropped this year.
We spent a lot of the TV time tucked up with my shiny new boxed sets of "the Good Life" and "Minder"...lovely.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Speaking of Christmas programmes; in my early teens I recall a black and white short film based on the traditional song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" where a young woman was presented at her house on each day of the song by her "true love" with the contents of each verse, every complete verse so by the twelfth day her house and gardens were filled with hundreds of characters marching up and down or dancing, with a multitude of swans on her pond etc, etc.
At the time I thought it was extremely well done and hugely hilarious, whether I would find it as funny now is open to question.
Over the intervening fifty odd years I've tried several times to locate the film without success.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It's possibly not this one but it's funny anyway Grin
12 Days of Christmas
Community Veteran

No its not artmo. The one I'm thinking of, if I recall had a Victorian setting.

Community Veteran

Found it I think after a long search of Google into the tenth page, somewhere I hardly ever venture!!
This is in colour, I remember it in  B&W and may have been post-coloured. It is in two parts and a bit incomplete although the general idea can be seen.
You should play them in the order here. It may jog a memory to some of the older members. Do I find it as funny 50 years later, I have to admit not really. 

-BmEWi7Q&feature=related

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Even the scattered Morcombe & Wise programmes seemed a bit jaded this year

Petlew,
You need to be more factual and politically correct. Someone might report you for being wrong or OldJim might delete your post  Crazy It was in fact last year you were referring to (assuming of course you didn't mean today - NYD) Wink
Community Veteran

Just watched another great comedian from the past  'Frankie Howard: The Lost Tapes'. It used a lot of previously unseen recordings of this very funny man Smiley Smiley
Fixes: 104

The snowman and the snow dog is the only thing we've watched on TV this Christmas (aside from SWMBO's one soap addiction), rest have been a family tradition of set of movies
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dvorak
The snowman and the snow dog

DAK the name of snow dog? Someone tried to tell me it was "Fenton"
Fixes: 104

can't see how anyone would know that, unless the author had announced it?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Just watched another great comedian from the past  'Frankie Howard: The Lost Tapes'. It used a lot of previously unseen recordings of this very funny man Smiley Smiley

He had a very expressionative face that chap. As a kid I used to get him muddled up with Bernard Mathews from the boooootiful TV adverts lol.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Someone tried to tell me it was "Fenton"

Maybe the author is a Trekkie. Or the dog likes chasing herds of deer.