cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas TV

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Christmas TV

Usual rubbish and wall to wall repeats. Mind you if what has been newly made just recently is a sample of new programmes, I'll take the repeats thanks
But the highlight for me was (its just finished) was Swinging Christmas presented by Michael Parkinson...lovely stuff, but all too short.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Christmas TV

What I want to know is why to all these furniture companies advertise sofas at Christmas?
And yes, that programme was nice Petlew - I also enjoyed the Royal Ballet "Cinderella" in afternoon.
nadger
Rising Star

Recorded Swinging Christmas as were watching Poirot.
Off to West Yorkshire in couple of hours so have left Freeview recorder set for a few progs - fingers Xd
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Dr. Who was the main one for me, they pulled casualty for the royal family, it stinks.   Sad
Community Veteran

I could not believe the poor quality of TV over Christmas. (all UK progs available in Spain).  I think the TV companies take a view that not many people will be watching so why spend money. Oh for the good old days when we had a Morecambe and Wise special to look forward to.
Here's a reminder:
Morecambe and Wise
Community Veteran

Yes saw and enjoyed that as well (although didn't agree with the top spot, much preferred the Andrew Preview sketch...brilliant!!) Sadly that has been repeated several times as well. In fact I've something very similar on VHS tape (somewhere)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
What I want to know is why to all these furniture companies advertise sofas at Christmas?

Josie, the reason for the advertising is that the period from Boxing day to New Year's Day is the busiest period for most non-food retailers. The TV companies put a premium on advertising slots during this time.
jmd
Grafter

OK but people do not change sofas that often do they? [unless they are very rich or daft enough to buy poor quality ones in first place]
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
Recorded Swinging Christmas as were watching Poirot.

Note: If searching the listings, or in iPlayer, it is Swingin' Christmas NOT Swinging Christmas.
For those who missed it, it will be shown again on BBC Four on New Year's Eve. 10:15pm - 11:40pm

pierre_pierre
Grafter

or  if you cant wait that long
MUSIC: Swingin' ChristmasOn: BBC HD (54)   
Date: Monday 27th December 2010Time: 01:55 to 03:20
Michael Parkinson presents the sensational John Wilson Orchestra in a celebration of festive musical treats from the 'golden age of Swing' with soloists Seth MacFarlane, Anna-Jane Casey and special guest Curtis Stigers. The Christmas classics include 'Winter Wonderland', 'Baby It's Cold Outside', 'Let It Snow' and 'White Christmas'.
(Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Dolby Digital 5.1)
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Community Veteran

If it didn't produce sales you can bet your life advertising wouldn't happen. DFS in particular also sponsor programmes, as do several other companies. Several companies have consecutive adverts, Moben Kitchens, a bedroom company (who's name I forget) as they are related by a parent company.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just got the Free Rag through the letter box, it had five inserts, all for furniture sales
Community Veteran

Market research when i last saw reliable data showed that suites were replaced after 7-9 years and carpets after 7. Things may have changed with the recession. 
jmd
Grafter

Going back to the TV, forgot to say enjoyed "Singing in the Rain" yesterday, and have watched some of "Anchors Aweigh", but am taking Holly out for a walk now so can watch "High Society" later
They don't make films like this now - with nice wholesome happy tales!
Community Veteran

Must lean towards agreeing with you Josie. However, I suppose its because that earlier films featured actors and actresses who came from the stage and, mostly had to project their voices, seem to be always shouting at one another and often shouting very fast as well. James Stewart's A wonderful Life being a case in point. I suppose poor sound recording techniques had a lot to do with it. Actually James Stewart seemed to shout a lot in most of his films The Glen Miller Story being no exception.