cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas TV a disappointment?

Fixes: 121

Christmas TV a disappointment?

SWMBO and I ended up watching old episodes of Big Bang Theory on E4 during dinner as there wasn't much on elsewhere.

And no James Bond on Boxing Day? I know ITV have been showing them throughout the year but not on Boxing Day?Cheesy

It just seems to me that with myriad channels available these days quality programs are at a minimum at Christmas.

What are other's views?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Christmas TV a disappointment?

A week or so ago ITV actually showed 3 christmas films in one day - I nearly fell of my perch as they've not shown any christmas films for at least a decade that i can remember and one of them was national lampoons christmas vacation - a proper traditional xmas film.

Channel 5 has shown a lot of xmas stuff this year too. 4 is always hit and miss with everything - its the marmite channel IMO.

But to be honest, I thought it was better this year than the last half a decade.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Pro

Mav wrote:

What are other's views?

It's almost 2017 there's no need to stick to scheduled programming

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, it has been very disappointing... no NEW shows to look forward to.. only repeats, and repeats of old films they showed 40 and 50 years ago !..

I managed to watch my favourite German singer,  Helene Fischer, with her annual Christmas Day tv  show... 2 hours of entertainment... with other stars as guests, this year included Tom Jones, and Olly Murs... previous shows she has had other top uk stars as guest, .

I watched it LIVE on German T.V.  although it is not usual for ZDF to be able to be watched on line in the UK.. there is an "addon" for Firefox that enables you to unblock it. !..

This years show was as spectacular as ever, and it was held in Dusseldorf with an audience of about 10,000 ( I assume as it was a BIG venue).. however, it puts the UK to shame to see the quality of the set designs, and the quality of the performance... and just being able to produce that high standard of entertainment, makes me wonder what our BBC licence fee is paying for..

ZDF is a state owned, licence paid station... the same as the BBC... if they can put this kind of show on, every year, why can`t we have similar.

instead of a re run of the Morecambe and Wise show....

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They forced people to watch Tom Jones?

He can't have cost much.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here is the opening of the show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25eaEZ1syY

Fixes: 121

@shutter

The BBC has recently been showing Michael McIntyre's Big Show. I actually manage to cringe my way through 20 minutes of one before turning it off, This was using using iPlayerWink

Bring back The Good Ol' Days with Leonard Sachs. Oh, they are, but just repeats.

@DaveyH

I don't suppose everybody, particular the older generation, has the ability or even understands how to.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

A bit EuroTrash for my tastes...

But certainly Ms Fischer is much better than any of our dancing/baking/singing efforts on any channel.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Mav wrote:

SWMBO and I ended up watching old episodes of Big Bang Theory on E4 during dinner as there wasn't much on elsewhere.

Bit radical I suppose, but we had an interesting conversation over dinner. Shocked

Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

Face to face conversation, now there's a novel idea.

I'll post it on Facebook and see how much interest I can get.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Boxing Day walk near Mottisfont - 8 miles - followed by a visit to the House to see the 12 Days of Christmas presentation

Much better than sitting watching rubbish television Grin

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

"It's almost 2017 there's no need to stick to scheduled programming"

That seems to be the case. Been trying to install Kodi at the moment as it seems a good way to get some excellent content. Have now installed it on my laptop plus a needed add-on source called 'Fusion' - but that's about as far as I've got so far..... I may have to call in my younger reinforcements!

Seems such things can also be added to other device such as my Kindle or my Christmas pressie Fire Stick. 

It's a big world out there now that's for sure.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

I spent most of this afternoon wrestling with three girls aged 9, 4 and 3 (some of my granddaughters) round at my son's.

I did get to see a little of a couple of movies on Sky when they let me.

If I'd been at home I don't think I would have watched much TV.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

There is a channel called True Christmas, didn't it show Christmas films?  According to this http://www.a516digital.com/2016/10/xmas-channel-arrives-in-more-areas-on.html it's the home of back-to-back festive films.