cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Holidays.

Community Veteran

Christmas Holidays.

If you work for a company that shuts down for 2 weeks at Christmas how much notice would you think is fair for them to give the employees of when that 2 weeks starts and ends?
21 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Christmas Holidays.

I think if you are asking for leave then you have to give as much notice as you want to take, e.g. if you want a week off you need to give them a weeks notice. Of course it can still be refused.
So I'd have thought a couple of weeks would be fair, though I am not sure if there is any legal period.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

It's the same for employers and employees., unless your contract specify differently. The notice has to be twice the length of the leave required. 2 days notice for 1 day off, 2 weeks notice for 1 week off etc.
Community Veteran

Is that law? Where would I find information about this?
The company I work with always finish the last Friday before Christmas. In the absence of anyone telling us different this year a couple of us made plans for next Monday and Tuesday. We were then "officially" informed today that we are finishing on Tuesday! This is hardly fair?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Seems a bit niave to "assume" something like this.... and would have been prudent to check first before making arrangements.... A simple question to a foreman/teamleader/supervisor, etc.,  "when are we closing for Christmas this year, and when are we due back?"  would have solved the problem, instead of waiting for the "bombshell" that you have got to work for a couple more days !!!.
Fixes: 105

Think the problem is unless your contract states that you finish the Friday before Christmas then you might be struggling to have any legal footing.
Bit of info on taking holiday here:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/holidays_and_holiday_pay.htm#what_notice_must_be...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I personally have only worked with the company since March. I was told Friday 19th by all the guys including the guy in charge on the job. I thought this had come from the top but was infact because they have all worked there for years and that was always the case. Not really an issue as I have explained the situation to the office and am not working Monday or Tuesday but I still think the amount of notice given is unfair.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There is another side to the coin.... The company should have promoted the "christmas holiday period" as a matter of "courtesy" .... but I doubt if there is any "legal" notification period that you could complain to the "Holidays Ombudsman" about !!!
itsme
Grafter

I agree the notice period should be longer, have you checked the notice boards. My last employer could specify up to 3 days holidays the rest we could specify. The 3 days were to cover the Christmas period, normally the period between Christmas and the New Year. By the 2nd week in January the notice board was updated with all the public holiday dates and the 3 days that the company specify.
Community Veteran

Anywhere I worked previously where the employer specified the holidays it was clearly marked on a staff noticeboard at the start of the year for the entire year. In my current job there is no staff notice board and even if there was I would not see it as I am never at the office, just at the job site!
Fixes: 47

This is a quote from our holiday notice.
At least 48 hours notice is required for odd days and at least 2 weeks notice for full weeks.
Holidays are granted strictly on a first come, first served basis, by mutual agreement to ensure departmental cover is maintained

As I am the only one in my department I find maintaining cover somewhat of a problem Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
StickyMick
Grafter

Cheer up Sean.
The last boss I had only gave us Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day off, while he piddled off to Goa for two weeks. Angry
Community Veteran

Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day off,

Quite right too, thats how it should be for everyone rather than closing everywhere down for 3 weeks.
I would prefer to take my time off in the summer and not in December.
Merry Christmas
Ebeneezer
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day off,

Quite right too, thats how it should be for everyone rather than closing everywhere down for 3 weeks.
I would prefer to take my time off in the summer and not in December.
Merry Christmas
Ebeneezer

Bet you got yer parking meters on the roof too Tongue
Community Veteran

No of course not, I like Christmas, mostly