cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Accidents

Fixes: 47

Christmas Accidents

I see the Christmas Accident season has started.
I've just passed one on the way back from shopping where a man ran into the back of an elderly woman's car.
It was probably a low speed shunt and no serious damage to either car was evident.
However the man was getting out of his car with a mobile phone still pressed to his ear Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: Christmas Accidents

Ugh, this idiot needs reporting promptly IMO, and should be surgically removed from his phone, and driving license.
The government have made it £60 fine and 3 points on your license if you're caught using your phone will driving, but it's nigh on impossible to enforce IMO short of cameras linked to the Police being installed in every car.
Community Veteran

if he's getting out of his car with his phone pressed to his ear, could he not have initiated the call perhaps to emergency services, after stopping? 

That would have been a charitable viewpoint....yes but considering the circumstances I wouldn't have called emergency services.
The woman driver of the front car was already out of her vehicle and walking to the rear. No-one else was involved.
Fixes: 125

Sitting in the local shopping centre car park this afternoon waiting for SWMBO two people parked either side of me at different times. Both managed to hit the side of my car as they opened their doors. Why can't they simply take a little care and look at what they are doing? Thankfully there was no damage to the car but plenty to their ears Angry
It's amazing the careless driving you see in car parks particularly those that sweep round a corner straight into a space. Cool showing off it would seem but no margin for error should a child run out or another car come past  Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

In our local Morrisons the car park is a one way system...in, round the back, park then out through the front to the road.
A woman in a Chelsea Tractor shot into one of the lanes through a no-entry and into the nearest bay nearly taking our trolley complete with 1 year old granddaughter into the bay with her.
All we got was a "Sorry love I'm late for the school run"
My granddaughter nearly didn't get to grow up to see a school run.
WTF
Grafter

There's a reason 4x4 drivers are known as QuatroTwits
According to research, it's basically the same reason Volvo drivers are so dreadful: a feeling of invulnerability makes them take less care when driving.  For years Volvo told people their cars were super-safe (even though, statistically, Audis were safer), similarly 4x4 drivers believe their tanks make them safe (even though, statistically they're not).
When I did my motorbike training, years ago the instructor joked that, if you wanted to make car drivers as safety conscious as bikers, you should remove the seat belts and replace the airbags with a sharp steel spike.  Seems he was actually right ..
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  added the letter I am sure you intended the asterisk to mean  Lips are sealed otherwise I would have jumped all over you for swear filter avoidance ]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: RichAllen
Ugh, this idiot needs reporting promptly IMO, and should be surgically removed from his phone, and driving license.
The government have made it £60 fine and 3 points on your license if you're caught using your phone will driving, but it's nigh on impossible to enforce IMO short of cameras linked to the Police being installed in every car.

£60 fine is nonsense.  A much greater deterrent would be immediate confiscation of all mobile communications in the car - driver and passengers.  This would remove temptation, and create loads of inconvenience, particularly for anyone using the phone for business.
As for catching them - some police forces use an hgv tractor unit with a camera to catch drivers using mobiles whilst driving.
Fixes: 125

It beggars belief...
...Saw a young woman this afternoon driving past a school in her 4x4 with her mobile glued to her ear turning round a mini roundabout using one hand Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The police traffic officers should be awarded 50% of any fine relating to any person they catch using a mobile phone whilst driving.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RichAllen
Grafter

Why? They'd only spend it on Doughnuts,  Grin
dick:quote
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: doris
£60 fine is nonsense.  A much greater deterrent would be immediate confiscation of all mobile communications in the car - driver and passengers.  This would remove temptation, and create loads of inconvenience, particularly for anyone using the phone for business.
As for catching them - some police forces use an hgv tractor unit with a camera to catch drivers using mobiles whilst driving.

a better option would be on the spot cash fines (like they do on the continent) with it being tiered to the area there in, starting with the minimum fee of £100 with the plod being given 25% of the fee's collected as a bonus at the end of the month, it makes them keener to spot infringements and take action rather than giving a warning and nothing else.
those without the cash at the spot get there vehicle confiscated and if they don't show up at the designated cop shop within 7 days the vehicle gets crushed (of course theres additional fees for having it towed/stored/released) it certainly stops rouge drivers and it can seriously screw up your life Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Last week I saw a Bus Driver negotiating a 90 degree corner, onto a steep uphill...... with a mug of Tea in his hand !!!
And passengers on board.
A local half hourly bus that drives around the Village... reported.
CX
Grafter

A few years ago we employed a traffic management company for a road closure. Due to being the closed length incorporating a blind bend, we couldn't safely use just temporary traffic lights or stop/go boards at either end, so we had the TM company lead traffic through in convoy, 1 direction at a time. We were on site one morning and couldn't believe that the driver of the lead vehicle (from the TM company) was reading his newspaper on the steering wheel as he led the traffic through.
The first time he drove past we thought we were imagining things, but sure enough, after turning round and leading the next set of traffic through, he was still reading. Didn't have a clue that anyone was watching him, and presumably wouldn't have had a clue if any of the workforce were in the path of his vehicle. We made an immediate complaint, but didn't get the impression that they actually cared any further than "we won't get paid if we don't stop the muppet from reading on the job".
The particular TM company no longer exists.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
Last week I saw a Bus Driver negotiating a 90 degree corner, onto a steep uphill...... with a mug of Tea in his hand !!!
And passengers on board.
A local half hourly bus that drives around the Village... reported.

Was it meHuh  Grin
Oh, hang on, you said steep hill. I live in Cambridgeshire- no steep hills.

Phew!!    Cheesy Cheesy