Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chris Froome

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Chris Froome

Is it only me who feels a bit sad for Chris Froome.
Second in the Tour de France and a Bronze medal in the time trial in the same month, and he only rates a one line mention in the news AFTER the two girls who failed to win anything in the women's event.
If Bradley Wiggins had been any other  nationality  Chris Froome would have been on all the front pages - as it is probably the second best UK road racer doesn't even get a decent mention.
12 REPLIES
GrahamC
Grafter

Re: Chris Froome

I know what you mean, but don't forget, most of the British media have only discovered cycling in the last two weeks after Team Sky, with Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish,  Boasson Hagan, Eisel, Knees, Porte, Rogers and Sitsov took the TdF by storm.
You can bet Wiggins will be SPOTY also...
It was a great ride and he deserves more of the spotlight.
Fixes: 47

He was mentioned on BBC1 a few minutes ago as potentially Wiggins' main competitor in months/years to come.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Everybody remembers who came first....... but who cares (really) who came second?  Undecided
I bet most "sports" minded people, can remember who won each event.... but how many can name the second? ...
. that is how "important" coming second is.....

not very............................................. Lips are sealed
GrahamC
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
potentially Wiggins' main competitor in months/years to come.

Only team ethics/orders stopped him taking yellow this year.
Fixes: 105

I listened to it on 5live whilst driving and Chris Froome got a good mention  / commentary and an interview.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: GrahamC
Quote from: Strat
potentially Wiggins' main competitor in months/years to come.

Only team ethics/orders stopped him taking yellow this year.

Wiggins only put the effort in to maintain the Yellow Jersey. If he had to race against Froome then team tactics would be different. Don't forget road cycling is a team sport.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Don't disagree with the relative adulation of Wiggins and Froome - Cycling  is a team sport and Wiggins was the winner.
It's  the relative adulation of Froome vs the other Olympic medallists that feels a bit unfair. Other Bronze winners get their moment of glory - Chris because he came second in the tour, the second best achievement EVER by a Brit in the tour don't forget, and third to Wiggins seems to be an afterthought!!
itsme
Grafter

Did a similar thing happen at the 2008 Olympics in the track Sprint with Hoy winning the Gold and Kenny the silver.
Community Veteran

The OP is right Chris is not mentioned as much, though during the medal ceremony certainly the commentary was talking him up a great deal, especially when the 2 British Flags were shown together.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Being the "wallflower" has certain advantages in terms of expectation. You only have to look at the men's road race or Rebecca Adlington to appreciate this, both of which Team GB were "expected" to thrash the rest standing on their heads.
I sometimes think we tend to "expect" too much. TV pundits and commentators do nothing to improve this, most of who seemed to be primed to believe the impossible ought to be achieved, coming second or third is simply unacceptable.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The reviewers in Sky's Newspaper Review at 23:30 yesterday made a point of mentioning Froome as they too thought that he had been neglected.
nadger
Rising Star

As one who has followed massed start road racing ( good old BLRC) for over 60 years I find the sudden upsurge of interest quite amusing  Smiley
Personally I think that, were it not for team orders, Chris Froome could have beaten Wiggo in the TdF.
It was the right year for Wiggins in that two really strong contenders, and previous winners, were out of the event. You need some luck to win such a gruelling event.
First time I saw the person who won the men's road race I was sheltering from the pouring rain ,under a public toilet roof, watching the penultimate ( time trial) stage of the 2002 TdF. Stage was won by David Millar.