Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chocs Away

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Chocs Away

NHS bans Cadbury bars in battle with 'greedy' US owners Mondelez after chocolate firm once run by socially conscious British Quakers refuse to swallow price hike

Cadb chocs.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5431333/NHS-bans-Cadbury-bars-battle-greedy-giant.html

Americans have ruined the taste of many British Chocolate favourites with their using inferior, cheaper ingredients.

It's really yucky now.

American versions of British products are just not as good.

To qualify as chocolate in the UK, a product must contain at least 20 per cent cocoa solids, giving it a rich, creamy flavour.

In the US, the minimum is 10 per cent.

Imagine what that does to the taste.

How can a homesick Brit remedy his or her heartache with confectionery that tastes like watery sour milk and looks like dried mud?

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Re: Chocs Away

I don't remember ever buying chocolate bars etc. in the USA so In can't comment but perhaps @Infinity or @artmo can advise

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ironically only one of those products in the picture is made by Cadbury, in Ireland.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Is this the same NHS those hospitals charge you for being sick or visiting patients in your car. The same NHS hospitals that turn their entrances into fast food malls.

Pot kettle ka-ching

How dare Cadburys expect the NHS to take a cut in the profits they are making from their captive audience, the patients.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben But what's that got to do with the price of choc? We Brits are preternaturally disposed to paying for anything. If the car parks were free, freeloaders who did not wish to pay for use of council/ commercial parking would be in like a shot, leaving you with s long walk and still paying.

As to cadbury's action, it is trade American style; ruthless. What happened with Bristol shows that promises are made no to be kept. On a much smaller scale Americans took over a co that employed a relative, saying no one would suffer. It wasn't a year , when they were all out, and their own people in.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

If the car parks were free, freeloaders who did not wish to pay for use of council/ commercial parking would be in like a shot, leaving you with s long walk and still paying.

Around here, in between free and paying through the nose, they used to have a sensible compromise. If your ticket showed you had been less than an hour there was no charge. Perfect for appointments and visitors. But there was no profit in that so sensible was short lived. So there is no doubt there is deliberate intent to profit from patients and visitors. Something I think that shouldn't be happening.

Infinity
Pro

@Luzern wrote:

@billnotben  If the car parks were free, freeloaders who did not wish to pay for use of council/ commercial parking would be in like a shot, leaving you with a long walk and still paying.

Wythenshawe Hospital nr Manchester used to have free parking, but so many non hospital visitors parked there all day, and walked to work, that they eventually introduced pay to park.

It's currently about £10 per day.

The Christie in Manchester is not really near any places of work and there you get charged £1.50 per day.

But there is also the compassion element no doubt.

@Oldjim wrote:

I don't remember ever buying chocolate bars etc. in the USA so I can't comment but perhaps @Infinity or @artmo can advise

@Oldjim, it's cheap and nasty rubbish, in my opinion, and that of anyone British I know.

Fixes: 75

I was born across the road from one of Sheffield's main hospitals.

It was built with a tarmac area for free car parking (there weren't as many cars around in those days).

The problem was that the hospital is a short walk from the city centre and people would park in the hospital car park and walk into town to do their shopping leaving out-patients and visitors to find alternative parking.

The hospital authority soon realised the need for more parking and built a multi-storey car park on the site.

This inevitably attracted more shoppers so eventually barriers and ticket machines were installed and a charge was levied roughly in line with commercial and council charges in the city centre.

The car park was still always full when I have had need to visit the hospital so I tended to use some less popular on-street parking just under a mile away and walk to the hospital.

We used to call in at a nearby supermarket for our snacks and drinks rather than pay the exorbitant prices at the hospital shop.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

At least Mondelez so far haven't turned Cadburys into Hersheys chocolate, that stuff is vile as they put butyric acid in there, which is also known as the smell and taste of vomit, absolutely awful stuff...Crazy2

Infinity
Pro

@Strat wrote:

We used to call in at a nearby supermarket for our snacks and drinks rather than pay the exorbitant prices at the hospital shop.

At Wythenshawe Hospital the restaurant food is smelly, greasy & horrible....... and expensive.

However, there is a small WH Smith outlet just down the corridor, where you can pick up a meal deal, Sandwich, Crisps & a Drink for around £3.50

As an in patient, the meals on the wards were quite nice, but small portions.

So a quick trip down to WHS for top-up food.

No-one minded me eating this on the ward.

As a day patient, I would visit WHS on the way in, and purchase two sets of meal deals.

And I found, just around the corner from where I used to visit, a very long row of really comfortable armchairs, never used whilst I was there.

Again, no-one minded.

Community Veteran

@Infinity wrote:

Wythenshawe Hospital nr Manchester used to have free parking, but so many non hospital visitors parked there all day, and walked to work, that they eventually introduced pay to park.

As I already said my local hospital used to solve that with a simple solution "If your ticket showed you had been less than an hour there was no charge. Perfect for appointments and visitors".

But it's one that the accountants in charge don't like and eventually removed.

The easy solution has always been there but it's one hospitals are actively choosing not to accept. Favouring to charge the sick and visitors instead for as much as they can squeeze.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

Trusts and hospitals make their own decisions on parking. I believe some will make special accomodation for long term visitors.

Taking a different angle, I suggest that, if we need to direct our primary consideration to the fees, before our visit to the patient, that may say something our inner values, demeaning the worth of our visits to that patient.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

Taking a different angle, I suggest that, if we need to direct our primary consideration to the fees, before our visit to the patient, that may say something our inner values, demeaning the worth of our visits to that patient.

I can't believe you actually said that.

Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 4

With all the talk of an 'obesity epidemic', should hospitals be selling sweet fat - aka chocolate - to their patients?

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

I can't believe you actually said that.

@billnotbenIt's there in printWink, hyperbolic maybe to provoke. Having been hospitalised several times for major operations and procedures, my gratitude for a visit might have been marred, had a parking fee, "O dear, the parking cost is disgusting...", been high in our conversation