cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chlorine washed Chicken

Highlighted
Rising Star

Chlorine washed Chicken

Chickens in the United States are packed in grim sheds before they are killed and washed in chlorine - a type of meat that could soon come to the UK.

The birds are genetically changed to grow super-fast and suffer a string of health problems

The chickens are crammed into an airless room with limited space, covered in sores and they spend just seven weeks alive before being slaughtered.

Their throats are slit at a slaughterhouse and they are plucked by machines and washed in chlorine.

Chlorine-washing has been banned in the EU since 1997 as it maintains relying on a chlorine rinse at the end of meat production is a way of compensating for poor hygiene standards like dirty rearing sheds or crowded abattoirs.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/world-news/grim-mega-shed-chlorine-chicken-17800740

Chlorine Chicks.jpg

62 REPLIES 62
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 30

Re: Chlorine washed Chicken

@Lægen Careful - this was a favourite 'scare' of a certain other person pre-Brexit, and he rightly (IMO) got hammered for it.

As we have a national chicken-rearing industry, and despite claims to the contrary, will still be able to import from Europe if needed, this is close to a non-story.

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 120

i just wish that remoaners could get into their heads the fact that we have left the EU and give us a rest from their scare stories.

As far as I am aware this will not result in me being force fed chicken that has been cleaned of bugs that could otherwise make me ill with chlorine.

However I have no doubt that my wife will continue to choose British chicken when she shops.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Loads of places where you can buy chicken raised in this country......you could even keep chickens yourself just to be certain.

Chlorine......interesting stuff....

Now what's that stuff they add to water....fluoride .....I guarantee some people are allergic to that.....

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Nobody can make us buy anything we don't want to.

Furthermore we set our standards and suppliers meet them or we reject. Thus every electrical device shipped to the UK has to have a 3 pin plug rather than the universal 2 pin type used in the EU and much of the world.

In addition, we chlorinate our drinking water to prevent disease and that is used to wash all raw meat everywhere in the UK. Our hygiene standrads as as high as anyone's and more than a match for the EU's. Likewise our health and safety regulations leave the EU's behind too.

Workers and Human rights? Tougher here too.

We have lost nothing leaving the EU that we haven't or will not gain from. The next Chapter of history when it's written will see us soar with a stronger currency, better economy, cheaper prices, higher standard of living for every citizen.

Meanwhile over The Channel we will sadly witness the decline and end of the EU within perhaps 5 years, maybe less and we'll be very glad we left it.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 30

@danludlow Well said - my thoughts exactly.

John
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

Chlorine......interesting stuff....

Now what's that stuff they add to water....fluoride .....I guarantee some people are allergic to that.....

Chlorine also added to our water supply 'because it comes from dodgy sources and needs to be free

from bacteria',  also swimming pools have huge doses of chlorine in them,  seems that chlorine is

fine and has kept humanity free from being killed by stuff like Typhoid and cholera for a long time,

so three cheers for chlorine... ( unless you were a soldier on the western front during WW1 ).

As was pointed out pretty often during the last 3-1/2 long years a lot of UK standards are superior

to EU anyway,  and a lot of the things people think of a EU rights came from UK to start with.

The EU cannot teach us anything about rights,  but I have to say the EU human rights act has

probably caused more problems than it solved and has been badly misused by criminals claiming

that their 'human rights' have been affected when they are given a proper sentence which is then

commuted for supposed 'human rights breaches'...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Two words: Horse Meat.

You cannot trust the food industry in this country. It's dirty, doesn't care, uses nasty tactics and doesn't give a damn.

If chlorinated chicken can be passed off as free range to increase profits, someone somewhere will do it.

I do partially agree with this being a scare story from a remoaner however I also see a very realistic threat. The UK is built on cheating people and using tactics of deception and always has been. I've seen so much of it throughout my life that i have little trust in anyone in this country when it comes to abusing whatever power they have.

Look at Boaty McBoatface for instance - people given the chance to name the boat and then the government refuses to honour it because they didn't like it. It's a flaming name.. and lets face it, honouring that name would have done far more to restore the nations trust than the route they actually took.

So yes, I do see chlorinated chicken as a very real threat to the UK. Oh and yes.. it's in our water along with flouride so we're already drinking two poisons which we shouldn't.. and look at how our cancer rates are going up..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@7up wrote:

Two words: Horse Meat.

You cannot trust the food industry in this country. It's dirty, doesn't care, uses nasty tactics and doesn't give a damn.

Horsemeat is very popular in most EU countries, the 'horsemeat instead of beef' scandal you are probably referring to was an EU wide thing, not  UK ( we had stuff imported from EU supposed to be beef with horsemeat in it but not shown on the label - mainly ready meals like pies and lasagna ). The horsemeat got into the food chain in Eastern EU members.

What about the export of live animals like goats and lambs, to suffer long journies and then get slaughtered,  there again UK farmers did not like doing it  but there was a market in EU,  so it is not against EU rules either.  When it comes to food standards and animal welfare once again the EU cannot teach UK anything...

https://theecologist.org/2017/sep/12/will-brexit-spell-end-live-animal-exports

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

7up Horse meat that kept crossing EU borders and chaged as it passed each by, a scam that the final customer (UK Supermarket?) didn't notice becuase they focussed on buyng prices that left the supplier with no profit. If anywhere is going to be a risk it's where prices are so low that there's little or no profit. You get meat pies with 3 bits of "meat" rather than half a dozen or more, floating in cheap fatty gravy.

Beware prices that look too cheap.

Whether we buy Chicken from China, USA, or Norfolk makes little difference to scams which are illegal. These are only tackled with regulation and vigilence.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

They still eat veal all over the EU using crated calves don't they?

Near here there are fields where trucks turn out hundreds of animals for a breather before reloading and sending into the EU for slaughter. It's a disgrace that having left the EU I hope we rapidly bring an end to.

Highlighted
Pro

@danludlow wrote:

Another Brexiter lie? Veal crates were banned across the EU in January 2007.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@danludlow wrote:

7up Horse meat that kept crossing EU borders and chaged as it passed each by, a scam that the final customer (UK Supermarket?) didn't notice becuase they focussed on buyng prices that left the supplier with no profit. If anywhere is going to be a risk it's where prices are so low that there's little or no profit.

My point exactly. Money talks / Cash is King - whatever way you want to look at it, whatever supplies are cheap, someone will take advantage of and try to pass it off as a premium product.

Like i said, chrlorinated chicken will find its way into our food chain.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

@rEUnite wrote:

@danludlow wrote:

Another Brexiter lie? Veal crates were banned across the EU in January 2007.

A lie, no. More like a question.

Highlighted
Pro

@Mook wrote:

A lie, no. More like a question. 

A heavily loaded one. A less loaded one would have been in the form ‘Do they still .... in the EU?’.

You’re welcome.