Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chlorine in water supplies.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes I know it has to be there to ensure water is safe to drink but how safe is chlorine ? There are claims it reacts with certain types of modern plastics resulting in foul tasting water.

Thought I would mention this just to add to the things some people worry about.

Me, I'm too old to worry about such things.

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Chlorine in water supplies.

Plastics that are in use these days for food and drink purposes have been in use for quite a while, and chlorine has been added to drinking water for ages, so I reckon it's safe. I would rather drink chlorinated water than risk the consequences of drinking untreated water (having accidentally done so in India a few years ago!). Very unpleasant it was. Undecided

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Could be worse, at least we don't use lead pipes any more... Grin

Community Veteran

No I don't think chlorine is a problem but the problem is just the adding of something to water.

Is the right amount being added and is even the right substance being added? I believe both of these mistakes have made the news before.

I still have some lead pipes. Whether you have lead, copper, or plastic the clincher is if you have soft acid water to go with it. All my pipes are well lined with "chalk".

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Absolutely, ban the stuff and let's  bring back cholera, dysentery and typhoid now.

I know what I'd rather have Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:
I know what I'd rather have Wink

They're the reason for beer... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I'm especially sensitive to chlorine, I can smell it in the water.
The way to get rid of it is either:
fill a container and leave overnight.
or
add a crushed campden tablet to a load of it (20L or so per tablet) this is immediate, it also removes the bleach smell if you have bleached something.

I do this (the 2nd) when brewing to get rid of the tcp taste you can get from beer made with chlorinated water.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

billnotben wrote:

Whether you have lead, copper, or plastic the clincher is if you have soft acid water to go with it.

I can vouch for that!

At my previous property in rural NE Scotland, the vendor had just installed a borehole system with pump, grit filter, UV filter and pressure reservoir tank. It all seemed to work really well, but within a few months the new hot water tank was perforated, and my hair was developing a green tinge.

The local authority environmental department took some samples and found the water to be strongly acidic, so I had to invest in a pH corrector similar to this one. No more problems then, and no chlorine.  Smiley

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

HairyMcbiker wrote:
I'm especially sensitive to chlorine, I can smell it in the water.
The way to get rid of it is either:
fill a container and leave overnight.
or
add a crushed campden tablet to a load of it (20L or so per tablet) this is immediate, it also removes the bleach smell if you have bleached something.

I do this (the 2nd) when brewing to get rid of the tcp taste you can get from beer made with chlorinated water.

That's good advice and it works.

We got a new glass kettle and tea tasted awful, a number of people have returned kettles assuming they are faulty but the solution is what you describe.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@nozzer  Lucky they don't have the Andrex puppy in India.