Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chitchat in jeopardy of being locked, please do not let that happen

TORPC
Grafter

Chitchat in jeopardy of being locked, please do not let that happen

For those who out voice their thoughts about other members
(can you all please keep it as thoughts & not typed text)
We are all adults & should act as such
We also know better, yet some decide to out voice & call people names etc
We are not at the local playground
Man / Woman up & bring this forum back to being the best it can be
43 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Chitchat in jeopardy of being locked, please do not let that happen

Your title for the thread surely cant be true can it. I would of thought the moderators would just punish the perpetrators... # just sayin
Fixes: 105

I've referenced it twice, once it a thread and it was ignored.
Again tonight in the locking of another, I'm serious. The tone and level of this board has taken a sharp turn for the worse again.
Now it would be a real shame for it to happen, but people need to realise that this is an ISP forum - nothing else so it doesn't need to have a chit chat at.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: dvorak
The tone and level of this board has taken a sharp turn for the worse again.
Seen all this before though and nothing this drastic happened, surely its a case of ignoring someone because if you don't your adding fuel to the fire!
TORPC
Grafter

To support dvorak's statement
[quote= http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125521.msg1129117.html#msg1129117]Moderators Note.
Locked, I'm sick and tired of the way threads are degenerating into tit for tat insults and name calling.
Enough is enough, if you wish to keep chit chat then you all better buck your ideas up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Presumably this forum has some sort of permissions system? - Can we not have a "Sin Bin" forum added? - That way when members become too 'passionate' about their disagreements they can have their roles changed and only post in the sin bin with their favourite chums until they sort it out. Mean while everyone else continues as normal. It's that or you're going to have to start handing our more temporary bans. I'm not a big fan of that idea myself but if you're not prepared to let people get on with their squabbles and let them burn out, then you're going to have to do something.
I've been on this board since.. 2006 / 7? - something like that. Yes I'll admit I wasn't flavour of the month when I first came here but I've tried to settle in over the years despite my (what some may call) 'outrageous' views and I must say that loosing chit chat would be a big loss to me.
I also feel that there is far too much name avoidance going on here. We all know the members we do / don't like, avoid, etc and we've all made comments such as "some members", "certain members" etc. If people have a problem with others they should just name them and hammer it out because bottling it up does not work. Believe me, I've bottled stuff up for years and it's only when you hammer stuff out with people that you make progress (hence sin bin forum idea). It also (IMO) leads some of us to question who is or is not involved in the latest issues. I came on today to see this thread and immediately thought "Oh now what have I done?" before realising I'd been out most of the day and it couldn't have been me (thats what a life of blame does to you though). An example of this was shutters recent thread about the daily mail postings. I personally felt that was a jab at me and pluscomuk as we both post a lot of DM articles to try and keep this place alive. Suddenly there are complaints about "certain people" who continue posting DM articles yet because nobody will mention any names, nobody can fix / change / think about their habits.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

Iv'e something similar on another ISP's forum aptly called The Forum Naughty Step which seems to work quite well, even member(s) & the OP put their own selves in there from time to time
The last member that sent Herself there was the OP  Wink
Community Veteran

If you look at a lot of the recently locked threads on here, there is one common denominator. I personally, am surprised he is still allowed on here.
Community Veteran

I agree with AndyH. It seems some people don't know where to draw the line. We were having a sensible enough discussion on London TV when the thread was flamed and I was personally insulted.
A similar thing occurred in the Malaysian Airlines thread. This has been a very good thread full of mainly sensible posts until post #171. Then a totally unnecessary diatribe which I hope hasn't had the effect of stopping the thread.
Chit Chat used to be a nice place to visit but a very small minority has stopped it from being enjoyable any more.
TORPC
Grafter

I think you will find it has slowly been brewing & kicking off for a while
It seems to be when one starts it has a knock on effect
Before typing, Take a moment to (STOP & THINK)
Spare a thought of how you would feel if you were called names etc
I know some will say grow a pair etc / man up etc, but when you name call etc, on an open forum, it makes you look bad /.Plusnet look bad & Chitchat a horrible place to frequent
As I said before my kids can look over my shoulder @any one time (& I do not want them to be subject to name calling / negative behaviour etc, (they get more than enough of that in school))
What examples are you setting to those who view the boards,
No - one is saying do not have a good banter, however choose your words / phrases carefully please
I think for the odd few
Take a break & go & enjoy the sunshine & relax
I also think certian individuals, should have temp bans, as they are repeat offenders
Community Veteran

I blame the hot weather. Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

@billnotben
I tend to agree tbh Wink
I also wonder if some having more of their favourite cold tipple (could be a factor)
Because in the cooler weather we had little problems
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I like my cold tipple , and have become fond of a brace of Old Speckled Hens  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
I think you will find it has slowly been brewing & kicking off for a while

A leopard doesn't change its spots.
I think Chris Parr's thread on here (which came about because of some of the things that the said individual was posting) summarises the issue - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126894.0.html
Community Veteran

I think some of the worst offenders on here are the ones who don't realise they are doing it .......