cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chips

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Chips

McCains 'Home Chips'  are very nice,  they are quite chunky and they need cooking

for longer than normal oven chips ( about 25 minutes ) but do end up crispy on the

outside and nice and fluffy inside....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

The nice thing of where I live, is I have a local chippy about 3 minutes walk from the end of my road.

They're really good, though even a small chips they serve you a massive portion, which I struggle with.

I have newsagents there and a local pub opposite. What more could you want? I don't like to call myself "lazy" but "time efficient" sounds a bit better 😀
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

All this talk of frozen chips, whatever happened to taking a potato and slicing it up into chips yourself?? How you cook it is up to you (deep-fry, shallow-fry, air-fry, oven-fry, solar-oven-fry), but home made chips are the best, frozen ones are always too dry inside for me to enjoy... 😋

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@twocvbloke 

Well it's how we used to make them at one time, sliced and deep fried but crikey what a palaver it was especially trying to keep that deep fat fryer clean. And those chip pan fires!

The old ways are not always the best. Give me a bag of frozen chips from the wide range available.

Sorted. 🍟

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't know, and the youth of today get called lazy!!! 🤣

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Does anyone here have any experience with those much-advertised fryers that use very little oil and will cook chips and other foods?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Had one of those.

Worked well enough, the only downside was that it did not get used that often for some reason and was just more bulk to find a home for in the kitchen. A lot of money (at the time anyway) and "not something" to quote the Mrs "I'd buy again".  

Seemed to be a lot of kit... just for chips. 😃

Packed up after a couple of years never to be replaced.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@wotsup wrote:

McCains 'Home Chips'  are very nice,  they are quite chunky and they need cooking

for longer than normal oven chips ( about 25 minutes ) but do end up crispy on the

outside and nice and fluffy inside....

Trouble with those ‘Chunky chips’ is that you are also likely to get chunky if you eat them on a regular basis.

🤔

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I like Lidl's thin oven chips because they cook very fast (and of course I like their taste).

Plus if I'm using the frying pan they cook well in that also.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

@wotsup wrote:

McCains 'Home Chips'  are very nice,  they are quite chunky 

Trouble with those ‘Chunky chips’ is that you are also likely to get chunky if you eat them on a regular basis.

🤔

Just need less of them on your plate ... 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

... and weight for weight chunky chips have less surface area than thin ones so less to cover with whatever oil they're coated with.