Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chips

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Chips

Of the Chinese take away variety....

How come... with so many chinese takeaway`s, and, even in their restaurants,... they still do not know how to cook chips "properly".

and yet... they seem to be able to concoct some very complicated menu`s and dishes...

I mean... let`s face it.... they are simple food.... nothing really to prepare.... get a spud... peel it.. cut it into long bits, and fry in a deep fat fryer... until golden brown. ...what is so difficult about that ?

We have just had a "family get to gether " and I ordered chips with my selection, only to be served up the most dried up, overcooked, uneatable selection of off cuts of potato that I have ever seen.... and this is not a "one off"... they were the same last year... and the same all over the country wherever we have lived...

So glad I`m off to a "Proper Chippy" in a short while... for a "proper" evening meal of Fish and Chips.. cooked to perfection ... Bills Chippy, Mill Road, Purbrook... winner of the local heat of chip shop of the year  ! ! ..and only about a mile from where we live !...

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Chips

We lived overseas for many years and the first thing we wanted when we came back to England on holiday was proper chips .... nobody cooks chips like a Greek living in UK,  maybe it is just that our spuds are better..

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Can only agree, try having Vietnamese fish and chips. Nothing like home at all.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm not sure why anyone should expect to get 'English food' (chips) and Indian food (curry) in a Chinese restaurant.  Would you go to a French restaurant and ask for Paella, or an Indian restaurant and ask for dim sum?  I know some places try to cater for the local taste by adding non-authentic items to their menu, but I wouldn't really expect those to be as good as the ones in their natural home.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Probably/possibly to cater for any members of a party who don't like the national cuisine of the particular restaurant the party are visiting, and might therefore not visit if all members of the party couldn't be catered for?

Slightly OT, I've not visited a Chinese restaurant for many years, and not personally liking Chinese food, I always used to order a mixed grill, which although not tasting 'English' was usually to my taste.  It contained a small piece of several different meats including, ISTR, kidney, which I wouldn't eat nowadays.

However, the reason I've been put off and never been back is because after arriving home late one day after a long tiring drive we phoned to order a takeaway (including a mixed grill for me). I drove down and collected the order, but when I got home and opened it, it didn't smell right.  Seemingly every piece of meat, including the cat, smelt 'off'.  Possibly it was just one item tainting the others, but that was the final straw for me, never again.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 120

Talking of meat that was off, many many years ago now we had Chinese nationals at my place of work on an extended training course. Every lunchtime we brought in a selection of Chinese dishes for them ,(and us). The only dish that they would never touch was curry. They were too polite to say why!

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I love Chinese chips, a staple diet of mine at school when trying to avoid their dinners 😁. That said, the best chippy in our town is run by Chinese and the chips are fantastic 👍

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Our local literally over the road just outside of Swansea Chinese used to make excellent chips and many a fine Saturday night would be made even finer after closing "let's have your glasses please" time by beef Curry and chips - with a pancake roll if it was a special occasion!

Our kids still talk about it. "Yeh, Dad's back with chips!"

Have to say that I've had more bad portions (aka anaemic) from home grown chippies than any Chinese takeaways and by far the best ever was a one run by a Greek family when we lived in south Croydon. First rate, crispy, lots of 'em and a chunk of rock salmon (aka dogfish) to die for.

Mind you, the really best ever has always been 'up north'. 

Now of course proper 'chippie chips' are far too expensive to take a chance on and our current favourites are 'Aunt Bessies' frozen ones from our local "come again" Kwik-E-Mart run by Apu. 😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Some good fish and chips up here in the north......Fleetwood, Lytham or anywhere near the coast where the fish is fresh and not been in a freezer for months...

Local spuds used for chips and fried properly by places that have been doing it before I was born....

On the other coast...Whitby....great chippies there.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I find most chip shop chips to be pretty unpleasant, some are so soggy they may as well be mashed potato, some are rock hard that it's like eating Lego, and of course, the blandness, I can't understand how they can have no flavour, ones I've made at home always have flavour, but chip shop ones, they're a flavour vacuum and just unpleasant to eat... 🤢

Now chinese chips, god they're so good!!! Dunno what they fry them in, but they're ALWAYS tasty, and when they're the Salt & Pepper chips, they're so good, the pepper part being chilli flakes and other seasonings, so they're absolutely to die for, and from probably... 🤣

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Fleetwood takes me back to the smell of chips in the mid 1950s and our boys home holidays each year. Faded memories now but still there along with the those of the fishing boats, endless sands and the sound of seagulls.

Chips in newspaper after being apportioned out and eaten with relish while sat on our camp beds in the dormitory. 

Happy days.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

many many years ago now we had Chinese nationals at my place of work on an extended training course. Every lunchtime we brought in a selection of Chinese dishes for them ,(and us). The only dish that they would never touch was curry. They were too polite to say why!

Most probably because the food you were offering them was 'westernised Chinese food' - like it or not the Chinese and Indian food in UK is nowhere near the same as you would get in China and India..  Really hot curry like Vindaloo and Phal are not to indians taste, they have a lot of vegetarian dishes and although they like their spices for flavour, not the copious amount of chilli you find in UK.   When I lived in Australia our 'China engineer' who often went to remote places in China described 'deep fried sparrow' and 'sea-slug / Jelly fish ' ( which Aussie used to export to China ) and the texture was like the jelly you get in pork pies and gristle....  he also described the fermented cabbage in Korea called 'kimchi' - which he said was so hot that it could render a grown man speechless for days....

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

I just love the chips made with 'new potatoes ' at certain times of year,  with the skin still on - they have a fantastic taste.. 

If you like a decent size fish and more than a dozen chips and still have some money left in your wallet keep away from Rick Steins emporiums - they must have a contract with weight watchers....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Jonpe wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone should expect to get 'English food' (chips) and Indian food (curry) in a Chinese restaurant. 

Well didn't that all start because fish and chip shops had to close on Sundays and the restaurants didn't. So the bright sparks running those restaurants saw a money making  opportunity.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Now of course proper 'chippie chips' are far too expensive to take a chance on and our current favourites are 'Aunt Bessies' frozen ones from our local "come again" Kwik-E-Mart run by Apu. 😉

@Minivanman 

On your recommendation I'll give 'Aunt Bessie's Crispy Homestyle Chips' a go (MySupermarket price comparison) and see how they compare to my current Aldi 'Specially Selected Chunky Oven Chips', although I have to say that I prefer Aldi Specially Selected Yorkshire Puddings which come equal first in this article and their Specially Selected duck-fat roasties over Aunt Bessies (price may be a factor though).

Back to chips, according to this article (which unfortunately doesn't include Aunt Bessies) it might be worth trying 'McCain Triple Cooked Gastro Chips' for a special treat.  Smiley