cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinook crash 'may have been caused by software faults'

Community Veteran

Chinook crash 'may have been caused by software faults'

'Chinook crash 'may have been caused by software faults'
New evidence has emerged that computer software faults may have caused the 1994 Chinook helicopter crash on the Mull of Kintyre, the BBC has learned.
The RAF found the two pilots guilty of gross negligence after the crash in fog which killed all 29 people on board.
An internal MoD document, written nine months before the crash, said the software was "positively dangerous".
The MoD said the helicopter was airworthy and the latest information could not be classed as new evidence.
In light of the new information, Conservatives are calling for the Ministry of Defence to quash the gross negligence finding which they say "smears the reputation of two brave pilots".

Typical MoD trying to evade responsibility - just like the Nimrod crash.
Those two Chinook pilots family have had to endure 16 years of having their sons accused of gross negligence - wrongly in many peoples opinions.
And the Tories can't complain - they were in power when it happened and for the enquiry. And Malcolm Rifkind as defence secretary is just as culpable, even if he might have now changed his opinion.

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Chinook crash 'may have been caused by software faults'

Thing is we all know whoever is in power, any UK government will never admit wrong doing. They'll never admit knowledge of anything (unless direct evidence is put in front of them) and they'll never willingly rectify anything they've caused either.
I personally think the situation with the UK helicopters is nothing but a disgrace. It's awful what our governments are doing to our brave and dedicated troops. Fair enough I think the whole Iraq invasion was wrong but we've also got troops in Afghanistan trying their best. It doesn't matter what country they're in anyway because they're only following orders but what gets me is they're expected to make the best of a bad job and despite sending them the UK government just doesn't want to support them. Why send them there then? It seems pointless.
I seem to remember we've apparently got 8 chinooks sat in storage somewhere because they were not shipped with the software needed to run them. All because the MOD thought it could write adequate software of its own which would match or exceed Boeings (with all their years of experience building and programming them).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'm not certain - but I recall reading somewhere that those Chinnooks were being returned to Boeing for update to latest spec.
I too would like to believe that story were true.
But MoD has a history of buying things and improving them.
The McDonnell Phantoms - were bought and then fitted with Rolls Royce engines and modified cockpit's - but they were a success - maybe even an improvement if my old instructer is to be believed - he flew them off the old Ark Royal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't believe the MK 2 Chinooks ever flew with the same version of the Fadec software, certainly bugs were corrected after the crash.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)