cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinook Crash Report

Community Veteran

Chinook Crash Report

Justice has at last been served in the Chinoock helicopter crash in 1994.
Chinook
The families of the pilots have got justice at last.
8 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Chinook Crash Report

Its a long time to be cleared of something but I am glad that justice has been served, Hope the families and everyone Involved can now move on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Glad to hear it. When I first heard about this one years ago I was totally dismayed at how our government and the MOD could treat our own people so badly when there was other things (evidence of technical defects) to take into consideration.
It doesn't do any good for the morale of those people either in or thinking about joining and dedicating themselves to the defence of our country. I'm glad that at last things someone has used their common sense and realised that these two pilots didn't undervalue their own lives.
I just hope now that the MOD can actually learn from its mistakes and stop putting blame on anyone but itself.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Heloman
Grafter

I think it's unfair to blame "the government". I'd be more precise and blame the RAF.
That new version of the Chinook had suffered many problems when it was introduced, but they went ahead and put it into service regardless.
Same with the Nimrod which crashed in Afghanistan.  The faults which caused the crash had been know about for years, but they did nothing about it.
I flew helicopters in the RN for more than twenty years and I was appalled and disgusted when the Board of Inquiry came out with that verdict of gross negligence by the pilots.
Sadly today's apology, whilst very welcome, came too late for some of the pilots' relatives who have since passed away.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Heloman
I think it's unfair to blame "the government". I'd be more precise and blame the RAF.

On the contrary they (both Labour and Tory) have been holding out on this for many years because it was easier to let two dead pilots take the can than admit a fault with a £multi-million helicopter, launch an investigation into the fault, spend more to fix it, admit liability, pay compensation to the pilots families and then the intel officers families etc.
It has been just as political as it has been the RAF blaming the wrong people.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Blaming the dead pilots, was the easy option.... as they could not defend themselves...... They did their job.... They carried out the orders .... the order being to fly the helicopter, on that mission , at that particular time,.... The weather was not ordered, it happened....
The two pilots were very experienced, as can be ascertained from their rank.... so would have accepted the mission, they may well have voiced their concerns before take off, regarding the weather conditions, but would have had total confidence in their machine, despite the reported problems, and even more importantly, total confidence in their ability to carry out the mission.
If the senior management of the RAF knew of problems associated with the electronics, or other equipment, and continued to order pilots to fly the machines, then it should have been them that were held responsible.... as it turned out, at the time, the pilots got the blame, and the real "villains" ..... "got off"...
I doubt if another inquiry will produce any new result...or hold anyone else to account for the crash............. it will just be "forgotten" quietly....
Community Veteran

Both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems said in their election manifestos that they would hold a further inquiry and it's good to see they followed through on this promise.  it's taken far too long to vindicate the pilots.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

er who was in power 17 years ago?
28 November
1990 2 May
1997 First Lord of the Treasury & Minister for the Civil Service Conservative Major
Early 1990s recession; Gulf War; ratification of the Maastricht Treaty and the Maastricht Rebels; forced exit from the European Exchange Rate Mechanism ("Black Wednesday"); the Downing Street Declaration (initiating the Northern Ireland peace process); Privatisation of British Rail;The National Lottery; Citizen's Charter; Sunday Shopping; "Back to Basics" campaign; Cones Hotline; Dangerous Dogs Act.
Community Veteran

Government involvement was not until 2000 with a House of Commons Defence Select Committee which questioned blame and challenged the original conclusion.
A campaign was launched for a new inquiry by John Major, ex PM, Malcolm Rifkind, ex Defence Secretary and the families. This was held in 2001 and concluded gross negligence charges were unfounded.  Tony Bliar’s defence secretary, John Hutton, dismissed the findings and said no new evidence was provided and gross neglect against the pilots would stand.
New doubts were raised in January 2010 and on 8th September 2010 Nick Clegg, deputy PM, announced a fresh independent legal review. 
On 10th July, 2011 the review exonerated both pilots of any blame.