Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Surveillance Cameras

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Chinese Surveillance Cameras

Shape of things to come? This system is really just the next stage on from these. Mission creep as usual. They'll be fining people next for not having two hands on the wheel. No doubt there are those that say 'nothing to hide' etc but a little bit scary. Where does it all stop and people wonder why they suffer from stress. Bit like living in a zoo.

I liked the bit where he says that trying to get the problem sorted by phone, he was getting nowhere. Sounds very much like some call centres I've used.

As to the number of planned cameras the country intends to install, 570million by 2020! All singing, dancing types complete with AI no doubt. Couldn't happen here? Seems to be going that way already. Possibly coming to a street near you.....if it hasn't already

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Chinese Surveillance Cameras

Not sure it's that much better here in the UK, was it not out claim to fame at one time that there were more cameras looking after 'our safety' than anywhere else on the globe? Not that it let's China off the hook, but still.

Go to any demo or mass gathering (if you have the right permission) and not only do you have cameras on poles, but there to one side you will see a specially designated police officer with camera in hand. 

"Public space" you will hear, "It's allowed" - and that of course is the half baked trade off in that you can record them as they record you and all recording each other - and then we go home muttering in our dash cam car to have a video chat with our Alexas'.

Yep, we are all part of the problem.  

*sigh*  Smiley

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

What really grinds my gears is that it is one rule for the police and another for the public. As we all know no one is exempt from  the law. If police are responding to an emergency and an accident happens because they went through a red light, then they are to blame.

However, if you’re driving down the road and (stupidly) decide to answer a call on your mobile and you are spotted by Mr. Plod then you are (albeit deservedly) in a spot of bother.

Alternately, if you are sitting at the lights for example and you see Mr. Plod on the radio, or indeed his cell phone, you can’t exactly attract his attention and ask him to pull up on the other side of the lights for a chat, or can you?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

But some are exempt from the law.

Since 2011 there is now a restricted area around Westminster for example where you will need to have permission to assemble or even make an amplified noise, so I guess unless they have applied individually then Uncle Tom Cobley and all along with the entire band of the Coldstream Guards during those parades past the Cenotaph do not have have permission.

It's a £5000 fine each otherwise. Roll_eyes

"I don't care if you are the Bishop of London mate, you're nicked" 

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/human-rights/free-speech-and-protest/protest/protest-around-pa...

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are these exemptions @Minivanman, all I see are restrictions and they're not quite the same.

However, recent years have seen assaults on the right to protest near Parliament. Changes to the law in 2005, and more recently in 2011, have given the authorities unprecedented powers to restrict peaceful protest in Westminster and the surrounding area.

The above is an extract from the link you provided.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

Well that was my point, there are no exemptions - unless others know different. Sad