Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China shopping centre builds 'car park for women'

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

China shopping centre builds 'car park for women'

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8432887.stm
A shopping centre in China's Hebei province has built a car park with wider spaces that it says is designed especially to suit women drivers.

The women-only car park in Shijiazhuang city is also painted in pink and light purple to appeal to female tastes.
Official Wang Zheng told AFP news agency the car park was meant to cater to women's "strong sense of colour and different sense of distance".
The parking bays are one metre (3ft) wider than normal spaces, he said.
  Crazy Crazy

16 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: China shopping centre builds 'car park for women'

Quote from: Taxisofevil

Is that enough? Wink Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Probably wouldn't be enough for the men and their huge gas-guzzling jalopies!  Tongue
As for the car park, sounds very tasteful but not really necessary.
There's nothing wrong with the parking skills of jmdlp and me and I am certain we can't be on our own!
I'm the only person I know who always reverses into car parking spaces as I consider it safer.
Most men can't be a******  as they are too busy trying to grab the first free one nearest the store so they don't have to tire their legs too much!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Grafter

is this next ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: poppy
I'm the only person I know who always reverses into car parking spaces as I consider it safer.

Well poppy you know two now...that includes reversing 12mtr buses and coaches into parking positions in the yard, mostly with less than a couple of feet each side and usually unassisted.
When in Wellington New Zealand, I was roundly complained at for reversing into parking places, Kiwi's simply don't do it even when they have masses of room, seems they don't like blowing exhaust fumes onto pavements and shop fronts etc. They do however practice the very sensible angled parking (known as chevron parking to some) to a much greater extent than anywhere else I've ever seen, but even so it means you can find yourself reversing into oncoming traffic, but I understand there are few accidents associated with it, partly because drivers are more aware of it, and the NZ roads through outlying towns are much wider than here.
PS. As far as I have seen, Kiwi's never ever park on the wrong side of the road, even if the right side is heavily congested and the wrong side empty. Indeed in some areas there is local legislation banning it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I read somewhere , a long time ago, when I used to drive a petrol car, that it actually saved petrol to reverse into a parking space, as the engine would have cooled down from operating temperature, by the time you returned to the car, and would consume (slightly) more petrol in the "reversing out" .....
I always reverse into a parking space, (except when it will mean the sun will be coming into the windscreen whilst parked.) ( I usually check to see if there is an alternative "reverse in" space ) as I consider it to be much safer to "drive out" rather than reverse out.... visibility is so much better when driving forwards ! Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
always reverse into a parking space, (except when it will mean the sun will be coming into the windscreen whilst parked.)

Not a problem in poppy's part of the world, rumor has it that the sun never penetrates that far north.
Petlew dives for cover...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: Taxisofevil

Is that enough? Wink Cheesy

It depends on how long the car is Wink
/coat
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
PS. As far as I have seen, Kiwi's never ever park on the wrong side of the road, even if the right side is heavily congested and the wrong side empty. Indeed in some areas there is local legislation banning it.

In some countries it is illegal to park on the wrong side of the road, especially at night - presumably this started so that red reflectors were effective.
I actually prefer this and wish it was the law here.  Problems with stopping on wrong side - and dipped headlights dazzling passing traffic.
I too always reverse into parking spaces if possible. It's how I was taught on my advanced driving course just after passing driving test.

Quote from: mal0z
In some countries it is illegal to park on the wrong side of the road, especially at night - I actually prefer this and wish it was the law here.

It is.
Parking at night
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860
Community Veteran

Sorry - I should have said - including parking spaces.
Early in my driving career in Finland - i was politely told by a policeman of the error of my ways  - in a parking bay on the left side of the road.

More than 50% of car owners on our short road don't know about this law......or don't see the point in it.
Fixes: 125

I was just looking for that.
Some councils enforce that rule with vigour. When visiting my ex's relatives in Lincoln in the 90's we were advised not to park on the wrong side as the chances are we would get a ticket.
Quote from: Strat

Parking at night
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

This applies to roads with a 30mph or less speed limit.
Other than those, this applies.
All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
[Law RVLR reg 24]