Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China’s old bangers to be taken off the road to combat pollution

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

China’s old bangers to be taken off the road to combat pollution

China is set to remove more than five million ageing cars from its roads this year in a bid to combat pollution, it was revealed today.
Vehicles will be 'eliminated' throughout the country to improve air quality, with 330,000 to be decommissioned in Beijing alone, according to a Government policy document.
As part of a plan to cut emissions over the next two years, up to 5.33million vehicles that fail to meet Chinese fuel standards will be decommissioned, they said.
None too soon, it is not a pleasant experience visiting Beijing.
I was there only last week on a Business Trip, cough, cough...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/26/us-china-pollution-idUSKBN0E60AN20140526
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2639754/Chinese-Government-remove-five-million-ageing-vehicl...
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: China’s old bangers to be taken off the road to combat pollution

Reminds me of when I flew in to Milan or LA. You descended though a layer of smog.
The tired banning cars for several days a week in Milan, not sure what happened as it has been >20 years since I was last there.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

About Time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

These types of measures to reduce pollution amuse me. They are administratively convenient but actually very unfair on owners with low annual mileage in their cars, perhaps it is a sneaky plan to increase domestic sales of new cars in China?
There's a similar thing in London where the congestion charge is the same tax regardless of the actual mileage travelled on the day, yet the original idea was to reduce congestion. If you drive 10 yards into the congestion zone and park all day, you'd to pay the full fee. Dear old Red Ken (Livingstone) was even going to increase the fee for vehicles with larger engines regardless of the actual mileage travelled or pollution caused. It would have been another envy tax.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.