Fixes: 3

Re: Chilly, Willy Weather

You know, the boiler exhaust is the last place I'd expect icicles to grow:

2018-03-01 05.10.48.jpg

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Freezing sneezing at minus five in south west Wales this morning but no snow yet..... just a couple of frozen pipes. As for a chilly willy that went into hibernation years ago!

Happy St Davids day :thumbsup:

Anonymous
Not applicable

.... Weather Forecast for Buxton & The Peak District:  ...

--Current Conditions: After regular, and sometimes heavy, snow showers, crossing the Peak District right through Thursday - 20+cm of snow on the ground together with deep drifting in high winds.  Heavy and drifting snow, is falling Thursday evening.

NOTHING IS MOVING ANYWHERE IN THE BUXTON AREA !

LATEST ROAD REPORTS FROM DCC:
19.00 Thursday:   Head-high snow drifts caused by 50mph winds are seriously hindering our work to keep roads clear.
We're continuing to work around the clock to plough and grit roads but the strong winds are blowing snow back on to exposed routes as quickly as we're clearing them - particularly in the High Peak area. Buxton is badly affected with many main routes closed - also heavily hit are Bolsover, Chesterfield, the north Derbyshire Dales, and NE Derbyshire districts. In these areas we're having to focus our efforts on keeping principal roads clear. These are a smaller number of vital routes that we concentrate on in severe conditions. The A5004 Long Hill road between Whaley Bridge and Buxton is the latest closure. -

Other closed routes include, but are not limited to: A57 Snake Pass A6024 Holme Moss A53 Leek Road A537 Cat and Fiddle Monks Road between Chunal and Charlesworth
B6105 Torside Glossop to the A628 Rushup Edge, near Castleton Winnats Pass, near Castleton A6 Buxton to Chapel A623 Calver to Chapel A624 Chapel to Glossop Impassable routes: A515 Buxton to Newhaven A5012 Via Gellia (Pikehall to Newhaven) A5270 Coalpit Lane south of Buxton A6 at Taddington

Due to the ongoing severe conditions a countywide multi-agency approach is now being taken to tackle the situation with agencies including us, emergency services, hospitals, health providers and Public Health England - the first time this has happened since 2010.

Temperatures haven't got above freezing all day and are set to drop again tonight. The Met Office advises that the wind chill factor could be -13C.

Our advice is very clear: avoid travel in the north of the county wherever possible. If you do have to travel, make sure your headlights are on at all times.
Abandoned vehicles and jack-knifed lorries are also causing an issue where roads had previously been passable with care.
The extreme low temperatures mean the large quantities of grit already spread on the county's roads don't work as effectively.

Community Veteran

Oh the joys of condensing boilers - spent an hour defrosting the condensate drain pipe this morning.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

So far the only ice buildup on our boiler is the picture above, icicles on the exhaust, the condensate pipe is insulated (mostly) so is running freely so far... Smiley

I do recall the 2009/10 winter when the condensate pipe plague hit the country, people panicked and complained, I just popped the pipe off and shoved a bucket under the boiler 'til the pipe defrosted when it warmed up again... :2funny:

Community Veteran

Seeing as I have naff all to do during the night, I thought I'd watch this, a timely reminder as to how weak we have become when it comes to snow:

Remember folks; Could be worse... :coolsmiley:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, I remember it well, but isn't the problem one of extreme variables when it comes to the weather in this small island of ours. The shift north of that gulf stream could just as easily have allowed hot air from north Africa as it did cold from Siberia - at least there they know its going to be pushing minus fifty every year - whereas here....

Expect the unexpected as they say.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It may minus 3ºC  here at the moment, but it hasn't snowed now for a day, in fact it is starting to thaw, especially on the roads with the gritting & traffic.

in fact it is forecast warmer for the next week.

And fortunately, next week is when I need to be out & about, on personal matters.

And it's great for the local Farmers, Lambs are just starting to be born...

They've also had problems getting milk off the farms, quite a lot having to be dumped.

It's poor recompense for all that they have been doing keeping the local minor roads passable..

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

West of Carmarthen, and heavy snow this morning with falling flakes the size of old pennies so it's not going to be an easy time for those farmers if lambing starts that's for sure.

Looks nice though. :smiley:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

@twocvbloke wrote:

Seeing as I have naff all to do during the night, I thought I'd watch this, a timely reminder as to how weak we have become when it comes to snow:

Remember folks; Could be worse.

and it was in 1947 I wasn't quitee old enough to go to school but on 1963 I was at university and walked everywhere as the buses were non existent up to near Stannington

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I was there but only just as the winter of 1946-47 saw me enter this world.

Not as bitter apparently but plenty of snow and tough times all round. No wonder I hate the cold. 

Fixes: 347

I was in my mum's tummy during the winter of 46/47 so I didn't feel the cold :cool:

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

@twocvbloke wrote:

I was born during that!

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Fixes: 369

Thanks for posting @Browni @twocvbloke- very interesting viewing.

I was almost 3 during that time but have no memory of it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav wrote:

Thanks for posting @Browni - very interesting viewing.

*ahem*

@twocvbloke wrote: