cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chilly, Willy Weather

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Chilly, Willy Weather

Yes, it's possible to be below zero with rain, it just makes everything icy... Grin

Community Veteran

@Steve wrote:

I'm in the brown Wednesday and Thursday according to that map @twocvbloke. And it has been snowing here most of the day. If it keeps falling it may be the best winter in March I have experienced for a long time! Let it snow!

It's up to about 5 inches or so here now, took a walk over to tesco a short while ago (reduced-to-clear trip, it's all cheaper after about 6:30pm), and seeing the cars all going slower than a narrowboat was highly amusing... Funny

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke wrote: 

It's up to about 5 inches or so here now, took a walk over to tesco a short while ago , and seeing the cars all going slower than a narrowboat was highly amusing... Funny

That's the problem I get, out & about in the Jeep GC, no problem in the snow...... until I come across other motorists that is.

Out in vehicles totally unsuited to the conditions.

Useless clueless drivers too !

Fixes: 255

Had to go out this evening to get some meds for SWMBO, after calling the doctor out, then some shopping and it got as low as -5.5C. We had some snow on and off during the day but around 8:30 it was a blizzard. Could barely see anything so pulled over a while. Driving home was treacherous so rarely went over 15 mph. Had a bit of trouble getting up one hill where the wheels starting losing grip (that's when I wished I had rear wheel drive).

It did amaze me the number of 4 wheel drive cars going at quite some speed. Not very helpful if one of the clueless divers happens to skid round a bend Wink

If it wasn't for SWMBO needing antibiotics I wouldn't have bothered. As it was I had to travel about 10 miles to find a chemist that was open and stocked the stuff.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Was asleep, got woken by a loud rumble of thunder, I haven't heard thunder during snowfall since the 90s... Shocked

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Just as I finished my shower early this morning, the lights flickered, as they do when we are being warned of a potential power cut.

I had, as usual, filled the adjacent sink with Hot water, but it was not needed to rinse off, today anyway.....

In the end, there was no power cut, thankfully.

Loads of extra Snow overnight, but surprisingly, it was very easy to put the bins out, albeit not very far.....

Apparently it was "dry Snow", so little resistance.

It's still Snowing at the moment.

And freezing until Sunday, forecast.

Fixes: 198

I've just recorded my lowest wind chill for 10 years....

Lowest Wind Chill.JPG

And just a few more figures...

Recent Extremes 2018.JPG

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Brrr, felt like that a bit walking home with that freezing wind blowing against me. It's great to see the children out in my neighbourhood with their sledges having fun, who knows when they will get another opportunity.

Edit: For the first time in history the South of Scotland has been issued a Red Alert from the Met Office. Be careful if you are out and about.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

Seems there's been plenty of thundersnow round here through today, which is unusual given how rare it's meant to be...Shocked

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

We had everything thrown at us this afternoon. 

Thunder snow, Blizzards, horizontal Snow !!

It's all gone now lovely and peaceful & white !!

Snow is quite deep, estimate 5 inches.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Jesus, talk about a close call!! 

Fixes: 198

2 minutes ago the low temperature alarm on my weather station was triggered at -6.8 degrees C.

It confused me at first as it's the first time I have heard it in over 10 years so I wasn't sure where the sound was coming from.

The outside temperature is continuing to drop at a rate of 0.5 degrees C per hour.

Half an hour ago I walked back home the half mile from my daughter's house and it was the toughest walk I've done for years because of the temperature and the head-wind along with the snow in my face.

I daren't smile in case my face cracked....not that there was much to smile about.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

A quick wander to the main road, in the beautiful peace & calm after the snow has stopped for a couple of hours, it looks like many drivers are leaving their vehicles on the main road, not willing to chance driving on the minor roads, some of which are quite hilly round here, and walking home.

"Honey, I'm nearly Home, put the Tea on, lass"

The local Farmers are worried about the Lambs that are due any day now.

Thankfully, no power cuts round here.

I got a text from a neighbour who is away on a Cruise, asking me to check on his property, he was worrying about pipes freezing.

Outside it was minus 3ºC after the blizzards, inside quite nice at plus 15ºC

Here, at the moment it is minus 7ºC outside, toasty warm inside.

Feels like minus 17ºC according to local forecast.

Community Veteran

@Steve wrote:

Jesus, talk about a close call!! 

I bet that bus needed it's interior hosing out afterwards, jeez....... Shocked

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke The skill of that bus driver is incredible. God knows what that driver in the car was doing but it could of ended very badly for a lot of people.