cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chilly, Willy Weather

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: Chilly, Willy Weather

The car spares shop said the battery has a 2 year warranty. So if it is dies it will be going back.

Must be a year old now. I'll give it bit more charging when it not so cold and see.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

It's forecast extra chilly Monday here

-7ºC

-8C  111217.jpg-7c.jpg

Community Veteran

We mine is around 5°C at the moment in London and that feels cold enough.

-7°C - ouch Shocked

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Look at the temp for tomorrow through the day where I live. The ' feels like temp ' is more accurate.

Brr.png

Just found this  ' Live Trunk Road Gritter Tracker ' for Scotland.

For extra giggles if you zoom in on the map some of the gritters names are hilarious.

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

A moderate amount of Snow so far today, but it is still falling.

Did some shopping at Tesco, notably most of the vehicles in the car park were 4x4 / SUV's.  

(Including mine !)

Remainder appeared to be regulars, probably staff in early before the snow earlier on today.

I played safe, and stuck to main roads, there is one quite steep hill the route I normally take, ungritted as it's a minor road, a bit of a short cut..

Although it's a measured 1ºC, it feels warmer than that.

-Buxton Weather Update:  We have about 10cm (4") of snow on the ground, Sunday @  14.00. Light snow is falling in Buxton now, and the main snow band, is drifting southwards, away from the Peak District - It does not look as if the "heavy snow and severe disruption" forecast by the Met Office, is coming to pass, although the snow band could drift back further north, over us, at times, in the afternoon.

Current situation: Traffic is moving well,  on main roads - Even high level routes (just been to them at 11.15 Sunday) , in the Buxton area, including the A537 Cat & Fiddle to Macclesfield, A54 Leek, A53 Congleton, and (From Eric Hilton in Glossop) A57 Snake Pass, appear to be passable with care.

Snake 4x4.jpgAn abandoned car on the roadside on the Snake Pass in the Peak District, as heavy snowfall across parts of the UK is causing widespread disruption

Community Veteran

Meanwhile, in the areas around Pontop Pike, absolutely nothing ..................... I want snow damnit!!!! Ticked off

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

We've been putting our Jeep GC's to good use yesterday & today, ferrying staff & patients to & from local hospitals.

Also, collecting food for the older folk near us. There is no need for them to venture forth.

The local Mountain Rescue Team are also about, as are other 4x4 owners locally.

We display our mobile phone numbers prominently in the Jeep windows, should anyone else need assistance.

It's beautiful, but deceptively dangerous.

Still seen quite a few windscreen "porthole drivers" but Police are pulling them over...

Windscreen Porthole Snow.jpg

Community Veteran

Minor light dusting here about 10 minutes ago, though I'm sure doom and disaster will befall the region because people just can't deal with the fact that winter happens every year... Funny

Edit to add:
It kind of looks like this cake, just lightly sprinkled with some white stuff... Grin

chocolate-wine-cake-filled-with-wine-jam-dusted-with-powdered-sugar-by-bakethiscakeomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom!!!

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

Tonight, it may get as low as -15ºC elsewhere in the country, expected low of around -8ºC here

It's already -5ºC...

Looking in the back of a cupboard, I discovered 5 pairs of Snow & Ice cleats of varying descriptions, bought & gifted over the years, maybe try them out tomorrow...

I'll certainly put some in the cars, just in case.

cleats.jpgcleats spikes.jpg

I did use one basic pair a while back, they were sort of effective.

I found walking boots with great treads were quite effective, though couldn't drive in them, no feedback.

TBH, these days, I'd rather just stay indoors !!

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

We've been putting our Jeep GC's to good use yesterday & today, ferrying staff & patients to & from local hospitals.

Kind-hearted 4x4 drivers helped take hospital staff to and from work in the snow

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5168633/4x4-drivers-queue-nurses-home-snow.html

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Quite a lot of Snow falling tonight.

Took the Jeep GC out for a local visit & shop...

No problems at all.

However I did pass a few school run "pretend 4x4's" that were unable to cope, even on the flat, going round corners seemed impossible for them.

Just myself, and a Police Range Rover were masters of the Snow.

Especially going up a long hill locally, that sorts out the "Men from the Boys"

I saw a "Robert the Bruce" Ford Kuga, supposedly 4x4. It kept trying to go up the hill & round a corner....... FAIL.

In the end it did the sensible thing, gave up and parked.

The driver did not appear to have any winter outerwear on, as he departed the Kuga !!

And I saw other drivers scraping their windscreens with credit cards !!!!

All for the sake of £1 for a windscreen scraper.

I did go for a longish run yesterday, to fully charge up the 12v battery, and it showed today.

I also had "survival gear" in the car, including ski wear, and boots, should I need to walk !!

-Buxton Weather Update:  Wednesday evening - We have heavy  snow falling in Buxton now -  we have 2cm of fresh snow on the ground.

Latest Road Reports: "A53 Leek Road to Flash 9pm Weds 13th, no sign of abating, 1-2 cm on road, continual covering, mist coming down.

25mph in 4wd, don't try in 2wd.

Icy patches bottom Brown Lane in Flash as it joins Leek Road, and at junction of Dale Road and Clough Street in Buxton going up to cattle market so avoid racing through there as shortcut.

Usual puddles south of Flash bar stores are larger, deeper and full of slush. Wind coming from different directions around hills causing random minor drifting, was strengthening up Flash."  

""Just travelled A523 Macclesfield to Leek, probably an inch on the ground, traffic very slow, it’s taken me nearly an hour to get home!!!!"

"The A53 Leek to Buxton is passable with care in a 4x4 only. Cars getting stuck in hills otherwise. As an aside I wish people would drive safely...even in a 4x4 we're not invincible!!!" Thank you

Fixes: 255

@Infinity wrote:
And I saw other drivers scraping their windscreens with credit cards !!!!

All for the sake of £1 for a windscreen scraper.

I expect that they were banking on it doing the job just as wellWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

I even have an Ice Scraper built into a fluffy waterproof glove, to protect hands from ice cold snow...

I think that was only £1 years ago. 

Beats brushing Snow off windscreen... with a broom, which I've seen.

Saw a few "portholes" tonight, I do hope they were not going to drive with such limited visibility.

Local Police are pulling over any such idiots

Community Veteran

Cor that reminds me when I were younger.

Use an old expired bank card to scrape ice off - at least it is free of charge. Wink 

Community Veteran

Saw a couple iced-up cars yesterday with the "porthole scraping", one of which was a woman driver taking her kids to the nearby school, and I saw in through the passenger side window, she was hunched over the wheel trying to see properly, if that ain't a good hint to clear their windscreen, I don't know what is... Crazy2