Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Chilly, Willy Weather

@Infinity wrote:

@Infinity wrote:

Extra Chilly Wednesday Night & Thursday morning, here in Derbyshire countryside

-3ºC  forecast

As forecast, overnight here it was a very cold -3.4ºC

The local TV weather person last night warned that any lying snow would probably thaw yesterday, and freeze overnight.

This exactly what happened.

I ventured forth this morning, there  is a particularly long, steep hill near me, and there were casualties, of sorts.

Stuck on the hill, wheels spinning, were a Honda SUV and a Range Rover.

Jeep..... no problem, didn't even have to utilise the 4WD Lo setting.

I just sailed past and gave them a cheery wave.

Bye !!

I was out shopping in the Jazz yesterday, it was quite a pleasant day, however the Traction Control kicked in a few times.

Back to Jeep...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Where I used to live (not far from where I am now).

Going to the station was downhill and it is steep. Pavements were iced over and I thought "Errm I don't think I should walk down here" (think of a more sweary version of thst remark and you'll know what I mean Smiley).

I ended up walking down the tracks of cars where the road was clear and avoiding cars when they came down.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

The Council decided that our local small town (Glossop) needed a make-over.

One of the things they did, was purchase a load of very flat smooth pretty paving stones.... from Italy I think.

They didn't take into consideration that the High Street has quite a steep incline....

You can guess the rest !!

After several pedestrian falls on the smooth paving slabs, when wet, or especially when icy or snowed over, there was a lot of complaints.

And quite a few injuries, one person broke a leg.... who just happened to be a Councillors wife.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/a-major-slip-up-883293

There is also a section with steps up to a Supermarket, yes, you've guessed it...

The Council stated they would do nothing, as the slabs were very expensive, and looked nice in the Summer !!

Eventually they came up with a solution........

Every day Council workmen would be out & about covering the slippy slabs with Grit & Sand !!

At least twice a day.

So once again, as winter approaches we can look forwards to more slipping, sliding & injuries !!

And walking in the road.

We stay away, just too risky.

From a legal forum..

26 Dec 2015 - On Christmas Eve I fell on Victoria Street, Glossop due to slippery surface.

This was obviously caused by rain.

I have looked further into this.

There have been quite a few issues with the type of tiling used in town centre.

It looks like the council is more concerned about cosmetics than safety!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Yep I live in the middle of two train lines. There are three, in South East London where I live.
I think you can figure out who my train company is now Tongue

I usually use the middle (Bexleyheath) line as the area is nicer and if I wanted to walk it is flat but boring. Sadly it will look like I will have some hospital visits, which means using the top (Greenwich) line. For me that means walking downhill a nasty hill to my station. I have already fallen over once going downhill and that was in good weather.

Luckily a bus goes there and I think I'll be getting it to the station. It'll be cold, I can't be bothered and walking will be dangerous I suspect.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

It's going to be a very chilly weekend this week from Friday 8th December ...

stream_img.jpg

Chilly w_e.jpg

Chilly w_e 2.jpg

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Definitely Chilly Willy Weather !!

CHILY WILLY.jpg

Community Veteran

With the warning of white stuff falling on London, the MET office has advised people to carry extra tissues... Funny

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

In the end, I just placed the Jazz 12v battery on charge overnight, in situ.

Started no problems this warmer morning, Heated Seats & Air Con switched off.

It was noticeably quicker to unlock the doors too.

The Hybrid Jazz 12v battery is 43 months old, and has powered the Jazz for just 9,000 miles.

AFAIK it is not one of the newer Stop-Start batteries, and so is not designed to cope  with the Automatic Engine Stop - Starting which places heavy demands on the 12v battery !

Perhaps as many as ten times per journey, and with each journey quite local, doesn't get chance to fully charge up.

Will get it tested this morning, but I think for peace of mind I will just change the 12v battery every 3 years, just before the cold weather, as they seem to have a reputation for failing when it's really cold.

Works out at only 8p / day.

I also made a note of the Radio Code too. 

Update 10:00

Battery tested....... REPLACE !!

Booked into Honda for replacement, as it is a 12v battery in a Hybrid car, it has to be replaced by Honda.

Only £20 more than at local Kwikfit, and they do a full safety check.

Went to Halfords today to collect some -10ºC screenwash concentrate, cars now topped up in preparation for this coming weekend "blizzards !"

Whilst I was there I had Halfords do a battery test on the Jeep 12v battery, which is massive, both in size & capacity.

Read at 560 / 650, ie good.

The tech pointed out to me that the Yuasa battery has a built in battery charge monitor...

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 20.26.54.jpg

Mine showed Recharge, understandable

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Infinity wrote:

Went to Halfords today ...

Whilst I was there I had Halfords do a battery test on the Jeep 12v battery, which is massive, both in size & capacity.

Read at 560 / 650, ie good.

@Infinity What units are you referring to?

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

My Yuasa YBX3096 75ah 650A 12v Battery was new in May 2017

(it's a very large battery)

Yuasa YBX3096 SMF Starter Battery.jpg

The quoted max discharge is 650A, so presumably 560A is the measured discharge rate, at the time 

Cold Cranking Performance (Amps) EN1: 650

YBX3096.jpg

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Infinity wrote:

My Yuasa YBX3096 75ah 650A 12v Battery was new in May 2017

(it's a very large battery)

Not particularly large IMO  Smiley

Sorry if it disappoints, but Your Yuasa for your massive-engined Jeep is only 36mm longer and 12Ah / 40A CCA larger capacity than the Varta Silver Dynamic which I purchased for our old 1.4L petrol engine VW Golf in October 2016. Wink

Edit:  OT, but I forgot to mention the Varta has a 5 year warranty against your 3 years.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@RobPN wrote:

Edit:  OT, but I forgot to mention the Varta has a 5 year warranty against your 3 years.

My previous Yuasa 12v battery lasted 6 years !!

Just checked back in Service Histories, with two Jeep GC's, the Yuasa's always lasted around 6 years.

When this one dies, I'll just buy another one....

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Don't forget to wedge open your wheelie bin lids, it's going to be freezing for the next few nights.....

-4C 081217.jpg

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 19.23.52.jpg

Local TV & Radio are mentioning there are several Amber Snow warnings for the next couple of days here in the High Peak, with Sunday expecting up to 10cms of Snow !!

UPDATE: Snow now updated to 20cms plus, that's 5 inches !!

They've already earlier closed the two major routes between Glossop in Derbyshire & Sheffield, impassable due to Snow, earlier

The Snake Pass & Woodhead Pass.

Gritters have temporarily cleared a way through, with caution.

Pix:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5158749/Britain-braced-10-DAYS-sub-zero-temperatures.html

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Saturday 9th December 12 noon

Weather Forecast for Buxton & The Peak District:  ...

-Weather Update:  We have scattered snow showers falling on Saturday morning ( and reports of heavy snow falling nearby!)  - we have about 8cm (3") of snow on the ground, Saturday morning. 

WARNING! - there is likely to be a significant amount of snow falling on Sunday - could be 20 cm (8") + on the ground.
Current situation: Traffic is moving well,  on main roads - side roads in the Buxton area have deep lying snow, and are very difficult, as the compacted snow has frozen. 

Even high level routes, in the Buxton area, including the A537 Cat & Fiddle to Macclesfield, A54 Leek, A53 Congleton, and the A57 Snake Pass, appear to be passable with care.
Latest Road Reports: "Tha A57 Snake Pass is now open" "Main Roads are fine in Buxton.

Problem this morning is ice on side roads in particular Green Lane, which is treacherous with freezing ice.

"Just driven in to Buxton from Cheadle,Staffordshire using the A53 Leek Road. Conditions are absolutely fine, the road is clear and well gritted." 

Side roads very icy from yesterday's melt re-frozen."

Cat & F Webcamn200.jpg