Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chilly, Willy Weather

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Chilly, Willy Weather

@Strat wrote:

I used to have a VW Beetle which sailed past 4x4s stuck on gradients with all 4 wheels spinning.

I bet none of them were Jeeps.....

Probably school run SUV's

Fixes: 198

The biggest was a Range Rover.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Strat wrote:

I used to have a VW Beetle

My brother used to have an old one, 6 volter I think. It was always noticeable on some muddy forest tracts that while many cars would struggle, some having to reverse, to get back on the road. The VW would have no such problems.

Way back when I had a little motorbike. One bad winter several inches of snow was dumped on the roads. As long as I kept out of ruts the little bike passed many vehicles stuck by the kerb. Even the odd Land Rover couldn't pass a tree that fell across the road. When I arrived at my half empty work place I had around four inches of snow stuck to my front and arms. Of course I would never dare to use the bike if the snow was icy and compacted on the roads.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Had one of those old Volvo's (144) many years ago. Only one lane was open on the M6 from Preston to Didsbury due to the heavy snow fall but that car got me there, as so few people had turned up for lectures we were all sent home.

It was a rear wheel drive car which you would have thought would be less likely to do well in snow and ice

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

November is a dangerous time of year for the less cautious driver.

Infinity wrote: (November 2013)
In my Grand Cherokee, in damp weather, after rain, just above 0ºC a Jaguar came up beside me at some traffic lights at a wide junction early one morning, which immediately after the junction, turned quite a wide bend.
Rev, Rev.... he was obviously looking for a duel.
There were no other cars around.
I took up the challenge......

When the lights changed, I took off, steady as a rock, and went into the bend, I knew my Jeep very well and its' limits.
Where's the Jaguar I thought ?

I looked in my rear view mirror, it was doing  pirouettes in the middle of the wide road, must have spun a couple of times, before I stopped looking !!

Even in dry weather, the Jeep was so powerful, I learnt never to floor the accelerator coming out of a roundabout, until I had straightened up the Jeep, but as above going straight, then turning after slowing a bit was OK.
All to do with a heavy car with a relatively high centre of gravity.
I had previously done a few 4x4 Off Road courses, along with a Police Pursuit Driver Training type course.

However, I was also to blame by being complacent...

@Infinity wrote: (November 2013)

Even with winter tyres on, I once had a white knuckle ride in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my fault, going too fast round a local series of sharp corners, tarmacadam road, light snow, but very icy, early one morning, (no other traffic) I over compensated, steep drop on one side, managed to gain control.
I went a fair bit slower after that !!
Otherwise, 4x4 works well in Snow, main problem is, in traffic, you are limited as to what the cars in front are doing.

This is especially true on Motorways, where there is often just one lane cleared of Snow, and slow cars (better safe than sorry) do enforce a slow steady speed.

So if and when the Newspapers predicted (but not yet forecast) Snow does arrive, I shall be driving.... cautiously.

Actually, the Jazz Hybrid does quite well in the Snow and other inclement weather, with the ABS and Traction Control coping very well.

I have already placed a small shovel & Emergency Rations and warm clothes and Torches in the respective cars, along with extra mobile phones, on different Networks, as reception is quite patchy round here.

November does seem to be the start of Winter properly round here.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Good News:

The BBC has extended its contract with the Met Office to supply weather information after its replacement provider failed to be ready in time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41878713

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Bookies have probably decreased the odds of a White Christmas already Cheesy
Mind you it has been cold in London, so better put me heating on.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

We have already had a light dusting of Snow, on the Hills across the Valley.

Forecast near freezing 1ºC overnight tonight, for a few hours and coming nights too.Forecast.jpg

ffox
Rising Star

Frost on the windscreen this morning, the first time this autumn.   My wife keeps a weather diary - this is 10 days later than the previous latest in the 46 years we've been here.  Global warming? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

On the subject of weather, I don't know if any of you have tried this ..

It was a few years ago around £60 from Maplin, but you'd get what I think is weather station. So you'd have a wireless probe you put somewhere outside. My dad fixed it to outside our pond.

But you'd get wind speed, direction, outside temp, inside temp. Was quite good. It also had an app where you could download the stats onto your PC, though I didn't use it.

That was around 3 years ago, must have better models out by now. For the money though I was quite impressed.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

It's forecast to be very Chilly next Monday 13th November round here

Just 3ºC all day, 1ºC top & tail

3ºC Monday 13th November 2017.jpg

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Parts of Scotland set to go as low as -9C from Sunday to Monday and maybe even some snow.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Not as cold as Scotland, but still -2ºC predicted for early Monday morning Derbyshire.

Just in time for the Monday morning crash hour !

Monday -2ºC.jpg

Update 17:45

Temperature has already dropped to 1ºC 

I've put large twigs under the bin lids, so that they don't freeze shut overnight.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

-1C = -5C.jpg

Temperature really dropped last night, as forecast.

All the car Windscreens are heavily frosted over.,

Birds will be Ice Skating this morning !

I will go out & defrost bird baths later.....

And I have an appointment at 9am ! 

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

And I have an appointment at 9am ! 

As it was local, I started to defrost the Jazz windows.

Turned over the engine, or at least tried to...... just chatter from the starter motor.

Apparently a known issue with Honda 12v car batteries, they just don't like cold !

Jeep to the rescue, started first time, off I went.

I will try Jazz again today (Tuesday) when the weather is a bit warmer, if no joy, it's out with the Jump leads then a new battery beckons.

Not had a car battery die on me due to cold for over 20 years now.