Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Children in care

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Children in care

Most of you will have seen recent press reports regarding the scandal of how some children in care are being housed in caravans and moved at frequent intervals with little or no monitoring by the authorities on what is happening to them.

In such situations they are vulnerable to various gangs dealing in drugs and other illicit activities.

Seems that not a single council has been prosecuted for failing to look after these children correctly, apart from destroying the lives of these young people society is making a rod for it's own back as these children grow up and feel quite rightly they owe nothing to society.

Money spent now to provide the necessary support for children in care will save far more money in the long run but sadly this topic seems well down on the governments & councils priorities.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Children in care

The problem... ( children in care ) ... along with other "social problems"  ( low income family housing , homelessness, disabled care, older people care and housing, etc) .. all are things that councils, and, indeed the government, spout about how many millions they are spending, or going to spend, or have spent, ( which none of us can verify with ease or speed) . These "items" of the agenda, do not generate " good public relations" or "good news" as much as big building projects for more industry..  or changing the christmas lights, or other "publicity stunts" that keep the councillors, and M.P.s in the public eye.  so ... they tend to put the finances where the publicity and the eventual end product, can actually be seen, to justify the outrageous sums of money they have set aside/spent. 

Putting money for the "social problems"  generally speaking, is not seen by the public at large, and seems, from the politicians point of view, to be money down the drain, as there is no tangible asset to crow about, year on year, at election time, etc...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Whether care homes are regulated or not, the Council has a legal responsibility under the Childrens Act and if they fail to comply with the statutory guidance laid down then maybe, just maybe, some of those youngsters in later life can start taking Councils to court for damages?

It's certainly a sorry state all round, but then we live under a sorry State - at least that's what it seems like at times.

I was in care up until the age of ten years old and in a home run by the Childrens Society and although the regimentation and religion was a bit on the heavy side for my liking, they did look after us well enough but now it just seems like a policy of disengagemet into the priviate sector but then that has always been, and has always been fraught with problems made worse today by putting illegal drugs and drug gangs into the mix.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

Or we could all get into fostering and solve the problem ourselves.
Easy to sit there and blame the 'state' for everything.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@dvorak  I don`t like children.... so I would not be a good fosterparent.... the only good children that visit us, are one`s that can be given back to their parents, as soon as possible...  ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

So many children in need of fostering have real problems and I've heard lots of stories from those who worked with social services about kids wiping turds all over walls and so much else. Not everybody can be a foster parent, in fact even the half decent ones are rather special and few and far between.

Let's not pretend it's an easy answer, it isn't.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman

Yes but you have to ask the question why would young children do that ?

I would suggest it due to lack of attention by adults.

If a child has the correct support and environment in it's early years there is a greater chance it will lead a normal life or at least have the opportunity to live a normal life and make a positive contribution to society.

I use the word normal in it's broadest sense before someone asks me to define what a normal life is.

We are born into history and history is born into us.