cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Childhood memory

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Childhood memory

On the rare occasions when SWMBO loads the dishwasher, she commented yesterday; that I never seem to completely empty my tea cups/mugs. I thought about that for a mo' and realised she was right. It stems from my childhood when my Mum made tea, there were no teabags then, and a tea strainer never completely filtered the loose tea leaves (grouts my Mum called them) To this day 50+ years later I still leave some tea in the bottom of cups etc. even though there are no leaves left over now.
Do you have any childhood memories like this that you still maintain in later life?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Childhood memory

How do you find what the Future hold without tea leaves?  SWMBO uses PGTips leaves not bags, or Yorkshire tea, of the hard water variety.
community
Grafter

Further to your memory about tea drinking, my mum always used to turn our cups upside down in the saucer and "tell our fortunes"....."it's all in the leaves you know!"
.....and 60 years later we still don't have a Dishwasher  Smiley (except me, of course Angry )
later: looks as if pierre and I are on the same wavelength! he got there just before me...but that's another possible thread...do you believe in thought transferrence?
Fixes: 104

I don't drink tea at all, which most people think is a crime been a Yorkshire man..
I really don't remember much about my childhood at all, so AFAIK there isn't anything that I maintain...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

The missus always leaves some in the bottom of her cup, presumably for similar reasons (although @Petlew has a few years on me, the missus is from Lancashire, the land of backwards folks - I think they only got teabags there very recently.)
/Wonders if people can guess which county I hail from!
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
<snip> Lancashire, the land of backwards folks - I think they only got teabags there very recently.)

Hey, watch it Angry
Lurker
Grafter

Haha - can't get me - the passport checks on the Pennines are tighter than ever these days Tongue
randpwar
Grafter

I'm pretty sure that my father still has books of PG Tips 'fag' cards of British Birds and the like that came with the tea leaves. I still remember the exitement of finding the one I needed to complete another set. Simple days!
Lurker
Grafter

Bagatelle at my Grans - somehow endlessly amusing as a child.
Also the huge number of tobacco tins my Grandfather had collected over the years, the only thing outclassing the wonder at the sheer number of tins was my amazement that he'd found enough disparate objects to press each of these tins into use as a handy storage device.
The amount of things he had which 'might come in [handy]' was pretty impressive - naturally it all went in the skip when he passed on, all except his proudest possession; his paraffin lamp from his time with British Rail*.
Ah, those halcyon days!
* If anybody knows anything about these things - my Grandfather used to tell me that it was pretty rare, as it had four colours of glass, where most had just three - except for that, I don't know much about it - it just sits on top of the cupboard in the kitchen as a reminder of my childhood.
StickyMick
Grafter

On a slightly different tangent to crossborder skirmishes over tea-bags Tongue
I was in the town yesterday evening with my nephew and he bought a Wagon Wheel and a Curly Wurly. These brought back some memories, albeit they were A LOT bigger in my childhood. I can still remember Terry Scott in his school uniform in the Curly Wurly advert  Tongue
I still maintain that they're getting smaller, rather than me getting bigger. I mean you had to eat half the Curly Wurly before you could get out of the shop and the Wagon Wheels were as big as the push-chair wheels of today.
Lurker
Grafter

I think pushchair wheels used to be bigger too now you mention it...