cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Childhood memories

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Childhood memories

The current heatwave reminds me that my twin brother and I, when walking home from junior school (yes, we used to do that in those days!!) would burst tar bubbles that were produced in the heat when tar was used to repair pavements and laid in the 10 or 12 inch wide guttering at the edges of the roadways.
We would also play a game called "broken biscuits" where it was necessary not to step on paving slabs with cracks in them.
Anyone else have any obscure childhood memories?
This regressing must mean something...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Childhood memories

Playing marbles in the gutter after school ( this was about 1950 in a village with virtually no traffic)
community
Grafter

Anybody remember  'finger,thumb or dum' ?
I do remember the previous 2 examples and in particular the melting tar and the games of marbles in the gutter and one lad who won nearly every game and walked home with a huge bag of marbles.
He later became the N.E.England Table Tennis Champion!!!!!!!! anybody remember him? (hint) he was from Rotherham.
alanb
Grafter

Smells are always very evocative. I only have to smell something that is reminiscent of Plasticine or poster paints, (both of which had very distinctive aromas,) and I'm often transported right back to childhood times.
I don't have clear memories of childhood, but one thing that I remember very well, from when I started school, is coloured wooden sticks that were used to help teach kids about numbers and basic arithmetic. Every desk in the classroom contained a tray of these sticks that were, I think, about a quarter of an inch square, and a different length for each number from 1 to 10. So '1' was a little cube, '2' was about half inch long, '3' was about three quarters of an inch long, and so on. The main thing I remember though is that each stick (or number, I suppose,) was a different colour:
1 - white
2 - red
3 - light green
4 - maroon
5 - yellow
6 - dark green
7 - black
8 - brown
9 - blue
10 - orange
For some reason, I have retained a clear memory of the colours, after more than half a century since I began school.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hops and the hop gardens of Kent, the aroma, the colour, the evening meal and sing-song, story telling by adults, learning to sew and weave (sacks and socks), being part of a 'gang' of like-year-olds, the big bin for picking into as seen in.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalarchives/4666110131/
Can certainly remember "broken biscuits" and hop-score or hop-scotch with a piece of slate and Hops, and Jumps
thejudge
Grafter

alanb,
You mean Cuisenaire blocks? Oh yes, I remember those from infants' school (late 60s this was)!
Community Veteran

In spite of the OP I don't have very vivid memories of my early years. But I do remember hitching lifts about a mile or so from school (junior) during a London Transport bus strike. And being asked most times if we would normally use the bus, to which we would answer innocently "oh yes" which of course we didn't. this would have been during the mid 50's.
One of the younger (year 7) kids on my coach was constructing a scooby-do, and was quite put out when I pointed out that we were doing those almost 60 years ago.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

The cane. Thinking back now I never understand how we didn't end up with broken finger bones.
Hop Scotch I used to play and Jacks and of course marbles.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

The cane! Shocked
You got off lightly. We had both the cane and the leather strap which tended to wrap itself around your hand and hurt more unwrapping than the actual strike.
Did we consider it bullying? No! Did we think it wrong to be punished that way? Doubtful if anyone did. Did we go back for a second helping? Not many did.
Discipline was good, peer bullying was almost non-existent and the school had a high academic reputation.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Two seater school desks, made up of a steel frame and a wooden bench and two sloping lid boxes with ink-wells -I was never an ink monitor-. It was so important who you sat next to!! Being a twin it was usually my brother, but some vindictive teachers would deliberately split us up, and make us sit next to a...in those days at that age the ultimate horror...a girl!!
Speaking of ink-wells, do you remember school pens? just a basic wood rod with a spring clip at one end into which could be fitted a nib (we all had to use those, no biro's allowed) if you pressed down on the nib, it would break into a two pronged surprisingly efficient dart.
Corporal punishment: yes, I admit to being caned twice. We had a geography teacher who was a dead shot with a black-board duster. We also had a young music teacher, who was the most popular teacher in the school (he taught guitar after school) used a slipper delivered to the bottom. On the first of April he would write backwards in chalk on the slipper sole "April Fool" we queued up for that punishment. We didn't realise it at the time but he was probably one of the first of a new breed of progressive teachers.
I wonder if its significant that most of my early memories are related to school activities, and struggle to remember anything about family life, with which there was nothing wrong and a quite happy time, if rather poor.

Fixes: 104

[me=dvorak]feels far too young to join in here Roll eyes[/me]
Will Moderate For Thanks
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: thejudge
alanb,
You mean Cuisenaire blocks? Oh yes, I remember those from infants' school (late 60s this was)!

Yes m'lud, thank-you! I never knew what they were called.
I've just been looking at some web pages that explain the history of them. Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisenaire_rods
It is fascinating to discover that they were also used for teaching language.
alanb
Grafter

I remember, also at school, we could buy Wagon Wheels or some other biscuity feast (for an old penny) to eat with the bottle of school milk that we were given in the morning breaks. That was when Wagon Wheels were covered with proper chocolate and not some vague chocolate flavour coating.
nadger
Rising Star

We lived at the top of a hill and I was home, from school, one lunchtime when a German plane flew overhead and started to machine gun local factory. I could actually see the crew.
" Look Mummy a German plane"
I was rapidly pulled indoors  Cry
Community Veteran

May not have been an ink monitor, but I did aspire to milk-monitor for a while, those 1/3rd pint bottles, not sure we had the Wagon Wheels though.
Our class had the first black pupil in the school, nice very shy (understandably I guess) lad who's first name was Winston, didn't have milk but a special bottle of orange juice instead. This would have been about the time of the early waves of immigrants from the west Indies. Sadly, he was treated not very nicely by many in the school and not just the pupils. He left to go to another school where there were a lot more immigrant pupils.
The milk (full cream) was supplied in those days to provide some calcium due to the lack of it found in post-wartime diets prevalent at the time.