cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Childhood fascinations...

Fixes: 125

Childhood fascinations...

As a child I remember being fascinated with three things more than anything else, space (especially our solar system), dinosaurs and the Roman Empire. Somewhere I'm sure my mother still has some of my primary school work on these subjects Roll eyes
As an adult none of these have played a part in my life other than enjoying sc-fi, documentaries and films containing/about any of the above.
What were your childhood fascinations and have they played a major part in your adult life?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

19 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Childhood fascinations...

Science, more specifically chemistry.
I started my working life as a trainee lab technician at a steel works and spent a couple of months in each of the various laboratories.
When it came to the chemi lab it was hot, wet and full of steam so I decided that wasn't where I wanted to work.
I ended up in the Refractories Lab.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For me I've always taken things apart to see how they worked, that was the easy part, often I never worked out how to get them back together again... Grin
But, I ended up as a computer repair technician for a shop back in Lancashire, where I took computers (both desktops and laptops) apart pretty much every day, though by that time I had learned to put most things back together, though these days, since having serious problems with a sleep disorder, I've moved onto non-computery things (they're boring now, no scope for decent repairs), mostly vintage electricals and whatnot aswell as a few petrol powered things that I've yet to make work again, often combining things that normally don't work together and make them work as if they were made for each other... Smiley
And being a bit of a trekkie, I also find science and engineering quite fascinating, seeing the advances in technologies and how they keep developing more and more lightweight materials that are stronger than their predecessors, makes for fascinating reading... Smiley
Community Veteran

As a kid, my favourite reading material was electronic and science magazines.
I've ended up in my perfect job as an electronics engineer with the occasional accidental blowing up of things (a hazzard when you work with >400 amp devices ......)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The sea.... and ships....

need I say more ?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

must admit to watch all ,, or most of the Apollo flights in black and white TV
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Among other things - Piracy and smuggling......................won't go into any details, but I have worked for Customs & Excise (brief spell)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Trains, Windmills and anything remote controlled  Smiley
Gotta love technology... and was I allowed to get into anything technical for a career? No.. one disruptive parent had other ideas for me to live their dream life instead and life became a power struggle  Angry
If you have kids, don't be a idiot and try to live their life for them, let them live it themselves.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Aviation and anything remotely connected with it.
With a particular interest in WW2 German aircraft, far more interesting than anybody else's. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Petlew.... you will be particularly interested in this video then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooYQ8bG6bbI
and many more on the same page....
Community Veteran

What were your childhood fascinations and have they played a major part in your adult life?

Doris Day, and no!
Fixes: 125

Grin Grin Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Reading this got me thinking and to be honest reminiscing, it's not what it used to be.
Community Veteran

Is that a bit like deja-vue all over again? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Not the first time I've heard that.  Smiley