cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chickens picked from floor, washed in filthy water... then sold on to your super

TORPC
Grafter

Chickens picked from floor, washed in filthy water... then sold on to your super

market
[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2703442/Chickens-picked-floor-washed-filthy-water-sold-supermarket-Investigation-launched-claims-contaminated-poultry-sold-high-street.html]Supermarkets have launched emergency investigations following claims that contaminated chicken is being sold on the high street.
Whistleblowers say the public is being put at risk because of suspect practices at two of the largest UK poultry processors, the 2 Sisters Food Group and Faccenda.
A hygiene alert has been raised around factories and farms supplying chicken to Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Aldi, Marks & Spencer and Nando’s.

If this is true, & airing on the side of caution, especially when it comes to poultry, in this hotter weather, we have decided to avoid buying chickens for the foreseeable future.
We are not going to risks our health or our kids health for that matter
I agree that the supermarkets put pressure on companies to provide cheaper good, however "Hygiene should never suffer as a result" of being paid to work albeit low paid but still in a job, that they want to be glad of as they could be on the dole.
& all this is happening in the UK
It's about time the people that live & breath in the UK made a stand & stamp out the more profit @ others suffering regimes
The greedy stake / shareholders, have enough from the interest alone so no need for more
I think we really have not come out of the slavery / poverty working world(s)
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Chickens picked from floor, washed in filthy water... then sold on to your super

Interesting story, and I like the way they qualify it by referring to it originating on the Guardian website.
I worked for a while as a Q.A. technician, for a large company that supplies one of these large supermarkets with Beef and Lamb.
They use contract Labour because demand fluctuates greatly. This workforce is supposed to have an induction on their first day, however this would mean that they would have inductions every day and delay start up every day.  So they usually put these newcomers on the easy tasks and rely on 'on the job' training.
Most people try to do a good job, but the few that don't were  a problem.  It was difficult to instil any sort of commitment when the company would cut corners, and lose paperwork that proved any wrong doing.
It got so bad I compiled a dossier of wrong doing, complete with photocopies of paperwork ( including internal emails ordering us to let suspect goods be released) just to protect myself. When they knew an inspection was coming, and there's no such thing as a surprise inspection when you have people 'in your pocket' they would load containers up with meat and equipment they shouldn't have and hide them half a mile away, out of sight, until it was clear. They even sent done puff the workforce home one day, because they weren't supposed to employ people from this firm.
Even now, when we shop at Tesco, I check the packing code to see where it was packed and avoid that packing plant.
Also, when they have beef on offer, I would advise avoiding South American beef. The bacterial tests were appalling!
Community Veteran

Re: Chickens picked from floor, washed in filthy water... then sold on to your super

Not enough credit was given to the Guardian. Here's the Guardian article - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/-sp-revealed-dirty-secret-uk-poultry-industry-chicken-c...
A far better written article with a lot more detailed information than the DM published.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess if we thought too much about  what's in our food or more accurately what's added to it or the way it was processed we would give up eating.
Amazing where some young people think their food comes from .
Fixes: 125

I agree with gleneagles.
I suspect if we handle the food once we get it home sensibly, wash it and cook it properly we should not have many problems.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The point is though, there should not be as much contaminated poultry in our food chain.
nanotm
Pro

doesn't this link back to the FSA no longer checking all food prior to it being put into the packaging, years ago this sort of thing was picked up and companies were complaining so much stuff had to be thrown in a waste pit as it wasn't even fit for dogmeat ...... then they stopped checking for anything other than a couple of bugs and not until well after it entered the supermarket shelves ...... a large part of the reason why we ended up with horsemeat labelled as beef ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Not according to their website http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/meat/audit/#.U9IpT7GSB7c
Audit of meat establishments
The FSA carries out routine audits of approved meat establishments (that is slaughterhouses, cutting plants and game handling establishments) in Great Britain. In Northern Ireland, these audits are carried out by the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) on behalf of the FSA.

Although I am not sure if they carry out spot checks without prior notification and I doubt that they carry out independent checks for contamination purely because of the cost/time/difficulty of doing it
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Mav
I suspect if we handle the food once we get it home sensibly, wash it and cook it properly we should not have many problems.

Food Standards Agency: "We are urging the public to stop washing raw chicken"
http://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2014/jun/fsw
nanotm
Pro

I did say used to, back in the days of MAFF with the FS being an internal part of the department and not some quango agency who ceased to perform a lot of services back in 2003 on the grounds of cutting operating costs, I'm sure there's still press releases available bout all the changes that were made if your interested in finding out exactly what was changed, essentially they claimed it would be better for the various food producers to provide the service and send the reports to the agency than have the agency doing the job it was setup for because it would otherwise have required to expand its testing facilities (build new labs and employ more people) as the population (and thus food) had expanded so fast and they couldn't cope, they announced this change despite there being no such provision by any food production company and then after a few years had gone by made it a requirement for the various supermarket chains to provide the lab services but only to test for a set list of bugs and nothing else ......
which left us the consumers literally eating shit and chemically enhanced sludge because it was cheap and totally unregulated
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Not wishing to carry on an argument but since food safety is an EU competence it is very likely that this is an affect of food safety harmonisation http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/food_safety/veterinary_checks_and_food_hygiene/f84003_en.htm
nanotm
Pro

probably but if it is the reason why then its another argument for getting out of the EU and its stupid rules endangering people and hampering free trade.......
Community Veteran

This is inevitable with capitalism, profits come first.
I worked for a food company in a factory for a number of years, the standards were I felt reasonable but by no means great.
But a second company I worked for which I wont name and I also wont name the supermarket it supplies.had cleaners using industrial strength chemicals next to a line still pumping out pies.  The second company defenitly was cutting a lot of corners and opened my eyes a bit.
nanotm
Pro

I seem to recall there being a story about "hydrochloric pies " and there having been fined a rather large sum of cash for those failings in the production line ....... particularly since one of the contaminated pies was eaten by a youngster who suffered chemical burns to the throat and oesophageal tract (not to mention the massive pay out to the injured party)
some companies still don't give two hoots though and rather cut corners to save costs and maximise profits and let there insewerants carrier get hammered while they declare insolvency and run off with pockets full of cash .....
Community Veteran

I've always regarded chicken as a contaminated meat, but okay if cooked properly. I always wash my hands after handling raw chicken. When I was at primary school we lived in a pub that was also a chicken farm, in the interests of not limiting your future food supply I won't go into detail.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.