cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheques

Fixes: 47

Cheques

Reading another thread got me thinking, does anyone still use cheques on a regular basis?

I wasn't sure I even had one any more but digging around, I found one part used and 3 completely used.

Looking through the stubs was a bit of a nostalgia trip.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Cheques

Not me, only very rarely.

I suppose it depends on your generation. I got a tax refund from HMRC after I paid them. Thankfully, the refund was a much larger amount that what I paid them. Phew - glad it wasn't the other way around.

Made me laugh when my mum closed down an account. Got a cheque through the post and it was something like 38p (not 100%, but was less than a pound anyway). I was going to the local high street so still cashed it.

Though HMRC used to send me cheques, which means going to the bank - the refund I recently got meant I had to apply for it on-line. The amount I was owed, while not massive - but in the four figure range meant I didn't hang around getting that sorted. 

I don't suppose anyone else would either. Smiley

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Before the National Lottery I used to do the football pools, and on a couple of occasions I won 20p (the smallest amount I think they paid out).  It was paid by cheque but it stated that any branch of Midland Bank (I think it was) would pay the amount over the counter to save me banking the cheque in the normal way.  The cashier smiled and said, "I won't ask how you'd like the money."  I suppose I could have insisted on two 10p pieces just to be difficult. Smiley

Community Veteran

Reminds me when Lottery Instants only came out.

A friend as a joke said, you can have my winning one. It was about £2. So I took it in to my local supermarket, and handed it in.

Assistant: "What other scratchcards do you want?"
Me: "None, I'll just have the £2 please"

They looked at me like I was a weirdo.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As a relic of buying some "Tell Sid" shares (British Gas), I've a few Centrica shares for which I've long ago lost the documentation.  A while ago they persuaded me to have the dividend paid direct into by bank account. I noticed today I had received £0.23 from Centrica. I bet they're glad they no longer pay by cheque and post.  I was pleased also because the local bank branch closed a couple of weeks ago, now paying in cheques is tedious

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I used to write about three cheques a year (for my cat-sitter), but she quit a couple of months ago, and her replacement likes cash, so I'm guessing the 25 I've got will last me quite a while.Smiley

John
Community Veteran

Wonder why?
How much of her income is declared? Like builders.
Rethorical question Smiley
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Alex Don't care. I'm just grateful he's looked after,Smiley

John
Community Veteran

Yes I agree, being sarcastic.
If you feel people are doing a good job and are happy with them, then it up to them what they do, none of your business.
Luzern
Pro

4 in last 12 months, they consisted of 2 to the community association, which has antiquated accounting,  for lectures, 1 for present, 1 to register Health LPAs. As far as possible everything else is paid on line, even gifts to our offspring and their sprogs.

Paying on line gives a clear audit trail.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Pete11
Pro

I'm almost 65 and never have wrote a cheque. After all, if you got it in the bank or whatever then why not pay cash? No need for waiting for goods while cheque clears. It's a 'haggle' thing..."Will that be cash or cheque sir?"..."What's the discount for paying cash?" It's true what people say. cash is king.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

My chequebook is in a box somewhere, haven't felt the need to use it for about 8 years, too inconvenient these days (got to find a bank branch that hasn't been closed, got to wait an age for it to clear, if it bounces then you've got to pester the person who gave you the cheque, etc.), bank transfers (done online easily) or cash are preferable for me... Smiley

Luzern
Pro

Pete11 wrote:

I'm almost 65 and never have wrote a cheque. After all, if you got it in the bank or whatever then why not pay cash? No need for waiting for goods while cheque clears. It's a 'haggle' thing..."Will that be cash or cheque sir?"..."What's the discount for paying cash?" It's true what people say. cash is king.

I've been asked to pass you a message.  "Hello! I'd like to meet you, @Pete11

. I suggest your place. Please phone me at 01.........

Regards

William Sykes.".Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Pete11
Pro

Funny  Funny  Funny

@Luzern

Myself (and my bank account) are already spoken for.  Cool smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I have an elderly Mother-In-Law living locally. Swmbo and I do the weekly grocery shopping for the old witch as she is unwilling (lazy) to go to the shops herself. She insists on repaying us in cash rather than using online banking. She doesn't use cheques because we "forget" to cash them, but she has a problem that it is increasingly difficult for her to get cash unless she leaves her den. We refuse to learn the PIN for her card.

I've come up with a flexible solution. I've set up a portable card reader, using Square.com. Now all she has to do is either tap her bank card on the reader or, for larger amounts, enter her PIN code on my smart phone.

With the banks' constant war on cash and branch office closures, this type of solution will become more common.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.