Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheque in the post

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Cheque in the post

How quaint, we received a cheque in the post this morning from our energy supplier. Not complaining as it was a tidy sum by way of that Warm Home Discount scheme.

Going to be strange visiting the bank after all this time. Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Cheque in the post

Or..... You could put it in the post with a covering letter to the bank manager/chief cashier and save the bother

Simples ! !  Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Last time I went to the bank, it was still open, now it's closed, de-branded and gathering dust so now it costs at least £2.60 just to go to the bank to do anything with them.............

Community Veteran

Some banks have the facility where you can take a pic of the cheque on your mobile and send it to them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was just having a think, and the last time I went to the bank was with a Plusnet cheque, then after that the branch was shut, are those cheques really that dodgy that they can close banks? Funny

Minivanman
Hero

@shutter

Hmm

65p for a stamp, cost of envelope and paper, time to write and go to the post box.

It get's even more quaint Smiley  

But...... as it happens, we had a half wasted trip into town as the Bank was closed today! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Regarding the "cost of stamp"  etc...     " A stitch in time.................."

and your  "Half wasted journey"....  ........ "........ Saves nine! "...

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

But...... as it happens, we had a half wasted trip into town as the Bank was closed today! 

Let your fingers do the walking.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

@AlaricAdair

If only Smiley

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My nearest Nationwide branch is six miles away, so it's handy having a free postal account. Any cheques received are sent off in a prepaid envelope, and the funds can then be transferred online to the current or savings account.

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero

None near me, the nearest is in Carmarthen which is over fifty miles away.

The last place I lived in here in the UK had three banks and three post offices in 1975. By 1995 they had all gone. My local bank (which was closed this morning) is one of two where there used to be four up until ten years ago. As for the post office, like so many others that has been consigned to the back of the newsagents and looks like some half baked toy town post office kit we used to get as a Christmas present. 

I would get out more, but everywhere is closing down! 

Community Veteran

The simplist way of having money paid into an account is to do it electronically. Easy to do and you don't have to worry how near the closest bank isSmiley

Minivanman
Hero

So, with that cheque in hand, how do I pay it in 'electronically'. Am I missing something?

Community Veteran

Your energy company could have paid directly in to your a/c. Mine does if they are refunding me.

Minivanman
Hero

Ah right, I take your point, only in my case we changed supplier (OVO to EON) and the original one sent us a cheque for monies owed as we no longer had an account with them.

Anyways, off to the bank t'morrow and hopefully they will be open for business and not morphed into yet another charity shop. Perish the thought.