cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheque Useage

nadger
Rising Star

Cheque Useage

Just written my second cheque of the year - normally it's only one.
Had to start new Midland Bank cheque book ( I know it's now HSBC  Wink) but this one was printed on 13th March 1998. At this rate it should see me out  Roll eyes
7 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Cheque Useage

on the news this morning, one council has decided that it will pay housing benefit only direct to a bank account, no more cheques they cost to much.
How many people on benefits have a bank account?
jmd
Grafter

All people on benefits should now have bank accounts.
 A few years ago claimants all had to acquire bank accounts and many banks offered what they called a "basic" account specially for that purpose.  They also had the chance to open a Post Office account.  This was done so that giro payments could be phased out and nowadays it is very few who receive a giro.  It was a great relief to us at JobCentre as we no longer had the same people telling us the giro hadnot  been received ot that they had unsafe addresses.
nadger
Rising Star

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

2 questions,
Are these basic accounts available to everybody & are they free ?
I will not ask the third question which is.. will they remain free ?
Sorry I did not mean ask that last question as no one but the Banks will know the answer !
nadger
Rising Star

They are free and available to anyone aged 18 onwards.
Don't think even the banks can answer your last question as who knows - a lot of will remember when we used to pay for our current accounts.
jmd
Grafter

I should think they will stay free as the government insited that banks had them so as to cater for folks on benefits!  Other people can use them of course too.
Saved us a lot of aggro at work as we no longer had people coming in saying the giro had not come and then we had to go through all the poaperwork, ring post office to see if cashed [quite often yes!] and then decide if should be replaced or referred to fraud!
nadger
Rising Star

I was surprised to receive an uncrossed cheque, recently, from DWP. It was something they'd owed me for about 30 months when they mistakenly took £9 from my state pension,  claiming an overpayment.