cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemical Brother's Money Saving tip

Community Veteran

Chemical Brother's Money Saving tip

Well, the New Year is almost upon us, we've all totally over-indulged and those belts are really tight now!
Of course, one of the biggest weights we carry, if you're like me, is all that coinage change in your pocket.
For the last few years, I've been putting all my loose change into a jar in the cupboard - it soon adds up over the year, and of course you can use it on a little something for yourself that you've always wanted, but never quite had the money to do it.
Once you have all that change, it's what to do with it all. Quite often the Post Offices and Banks won't take such a large amount, and you get bogged down with it, and it sits there at home doing nothing!
Take it to your local Tesco, Asda or Sainsburys - they have Coinstar Machines there - you can either donate your change to charity, or get a voucher to use in store for money off your shopping or change it for real money! - The only drawback is that you have to pay 7.9p for every £1 counted, which isn't bad compared to the time and hassle of it being weighed at the bank/post office.
Last night I took all my change to my local machine as I've wanted a Nintendo DS for a while - I was surprised to get a voucher for nearly £50!!
So maybe saving all that change isn't such a bad idea after all.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Chemical Brother's Money Saving tip

I always put my smaller change (any coin under 10p), or excessive surplus amounts, in charity boxes at shops or pubs.
My local pub has a (maybe RNIB?) box that fills up at an amazing rate from others doing the same.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m so poor, I can`t afford to change my mind without a moan loan from the missus!  Lips are sealed Undecided Cry
Community Veteran

7.9% is a rip-off.  i'd rather take the trouble to count it myself.  mostly my local shops are always happy to get more change.
techguy
Grafter

Yeah count it yourself, don't pay a company to provide a machine to do it, take a little out and give it to the charity of your choice.
Community Veteran

I've saved all my 5p and 10p coins for ages and got a healthy amount.  Recently i started collecting £2 coins as well and they really do add up quickly.  It's a good way of saving for something a little special Smiley
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]saves up £5 coins...[/me]
...well, Ok, not technically the same thing as they're not in circulation any more, but I do have a money box downstairs with two or three of them in, as a couple of aunts/uncles gave them to me as gifts a few years back when they were being circulated... although the ones given to me weren't brand new collectors' ones, they were just used/straight-from-circulation ones, but still, they seemed unusual enough to save rather than spend.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what do I do with about 20 Kg of pre Decimal coins from when we moved mum?
Community Veteran

The Bank of England will take them from you.  Worth a phone call to them.
Javert
Grafter

I keep a small container of change (a range of silver plus a few £1 coins) in the car for use in Car Parks.  I’ve been “caught out” a few times when I haven’t had sufficient change with me to buy a ticket.  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We have "posh" parking down here.... along the seafront. and various other carparks around the city. you can pay by mobile phone.... you call up the number on the ticket machine. tell em how long you want to stay, and then give your credit card details !!!.  Cheesy..
but.... like I said, I`m so poor  Cry  I use whatever free space I can find !!!... Smiley