cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check this out

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Check this out

I received this from a close family member today. Names and any links to her have been deleted:
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

I bought a bunch of stuff, over £150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the Electronic Pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford , Sainsburys last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My co-worker called Sainsburys who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
This is NOT limited to Sainsburys; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.
I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsburys and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this oneHuh?

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!
PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Check this out

I've just checked a few Tesco receipts and ok so far Smiley
Thanks for the heads-up.
My daughter always checks her receipt before leaving the check-out as did my late wife.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@petlew
Thanks for the heads up, will pay more attention in future.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I always check mine too. What concerns me though is how people will willingly do this at a supermarket where there are so many other people around. We're supposed to trust these sharks...
Won't be long before supermarket staff need CRB checks.. bring it on!
What also winds me up is ASDA. I've personally been victim of their price 'alterations' (Thanks to Walmart for turning a once honest company to a dishonest one) and I have to say their attitude stinks.
Ironically Sainsburys are now starting to become a happier place to shop for customer service and I went to Waitrose once the other day and I swear its the best service I've ever had. Tesco are down there with ASDA as far as I'm concerned although when their pay at pump didn't work one night and the needle was below red the duty manager went out of her way to help so credit to them for that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think you can only get cash back with a debit card, I always use a credit card, been asked if I want cash back a few times, when I said but its a credit card, they said didnt notice, you cant have any
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@petlew Maybe worth reporting to one of the newspapers, be a good story before christmas
Edited:- thought I'd read something like it before somewhere
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp
Community Veteran

Thanks for the information Petlew.  One advantage of using the self serve tills I guess Undecided
nadger
Rising Star

@p_p Like you I thought that cash back was only available on debit cards as stores would have to pay a percentage on credit card transactions.
Obviously giving customers cash could reduce overall bank paying in costs.
Steve
Pro

Thank you for sharing, I will be paying more attention now.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: journeys

- thought I'd read something like it before somewhere
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

Yes, I thought I had read it before and I had that email a few weeks ago when I looked in my deleted stuff!  Theses stories turn up every so often don't they with a slight variation but it was the mention of "Milford" that made we wonder as my email said it was Milford, Asda!!
ps I check my receipt anyway
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A further refinement of the scam I'm told by a different friend this evening is that you maybe the unknowing victim and followed at the check-out by a staff member who actually is given the cash by the till operator so he/she has never got any cash on her if asked. They work as a pair.  
Edit: oop's! thought I'd already heard about this. Its in part of the OP. Just have it from two sources now.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.