Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheating at Brexit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cheating at Brexit

@gleneagles

The thing with the BBC is that left-wingers will say it is biased to the right wing, right-wingers will say it is biased to the left; Brexiters will say it is biased towards remain, remainers that it is biased towards leave.

This is not the place to discuss that, but I accept your reluctance to believe what they say in this instance. Do you have an unbiased source to back up your claim about the cost to business of EU regulations?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @nozzer

To quote from your link:

Regulations also have benefits that can be set against costs

The £33.3 billion figure is simply a total of projected costs. Yet some regulations produce benefits as well.

As Open Europe notes, the projected benefits for the “top five costliest EU-derived regulations” outweighed the costs.

That would seem to back up what was said in the BBC article.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@7up wrote: 

If the UK went bankrupt over night the EU would drop its fight to keep us like a hot cake. They like our money and that is why they pretend to be your friend.

If the UK or US or China economy got to that state, I think the panic would outweigh any matters of friendship otherwise, all would have to work together. They'd nedd work together well before that though. 

Nations do not have friends, but interests, so how can one nation or a group in union pretend to be a friend?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@salmo wrote:

@7up wrote:Yes it is disrespectful to express a minority view especially when you yourself keep moaning that the referendum was won by the minority of the electorate that actually voted

I can not agree with the above statement re expressing a minority view. I voted to remain and still think the outcome was a big mistake. To say that it is disrespectful to express an honestly held view is wrong. In this case, although the majority was very small, I accept the result but to suggest that anyone is disrespectful for having a different view is not on.

I would hate to live in a society where I had to agree with the majority every time.

Totally agree!  And that would be whether I would have voted with a majority or not. I

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@7up wrote:

By all means, do tell us who you both voted for at the last election and i'll then constantly start moaning about how wrong it was of you to do so. I'm pretty sure you'd get fed up of hearing about it then too.

Likewiae, but probably with a 180 degree deflection too.Grin

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

We do not have EU citizenship, we have citizenship of a member state of the EU.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonpe

You are right, of course.

Wow... it seems I might have been wrong there... (it has been known on rare occasions Cheesy )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_European_Union

However, in common parlance EU Citizenship refers to the benefits of freedom of movement which we have as citizens of an EU member state. I think most reasonable people would understand that that is what is meant,

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

I'm happy to be one of the reasonable people who do not.  All US citizens have the same rights and obligations in whichever state of their union they find themselves; citizens of EU member states do not, e.g. should I move to a member state that has national service, I would not be 'called up', in fact such member states may even have a ban on nationals of other countries joining their armed forces (and some countries have a ban or their nationals joining the military of another country, however friendly it might be), similar rules might apply to doing jury service and voting.  In England* citizens of other EU member states  can now be required to do jury service whether they have permanent residency or not although they may not vote in general elections. 

*I say England and not the UK since I'm more familiar with English law, although I'd be surprised if the law applicable to the rest of the UK differs in this regard.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Equal rights in the US? Now that would be a first!

Rights for women, minors, and minority groups apart, prisoners in jail do not have the same rights as free citizens, those on parole have restricted rights as do convicted sex offenders and currently (although I'm no expert) individual States have different laws regarding access to federal elections.

I cannot think of one independent State that has equal rights for all their citizens and even those that do and have it written down, in application and administration it would be far less and this is yet another reason why we need to disengage from the EU. Lets have our less complicated precedential rights, and let them keep their own hotchpot of complicated legislation because that's what it is, a hotchpot.     

The US as an example of equal rights? Funny 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

A Texan in NY will have the same rights as a New Yorker, a Californian in Florida will have the same rights as a Floridian etc.

I hope that clarifies it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well you have some cojones I'll give you that in holding up the US as an example of equal rights. Guantanamo and the death penalty anyone? - and that's just for starters.

You really are..... well, let's not continue to be rude eh.

Fixes: 617

you seem to be confusing equal and the same rights there as no one mentioned equal.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

So same does not mean equal then, or is one of us being obtuse?

Happy to substitute one for the other but trust me, my argument would still hold.

Fixes: 617

The same means that all people have the same rights applied, these may not be equal.
You could put it another way and say that all people in the state are subject to the same discrimination applied.
The point being this is different to the eu but you seem to miss that

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'