cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheating at Brexit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheating at Brexit

We have had a thread about how bad it was of the Australian cricketers to tamper with the ball. Even the Prime Minister “is clear that cheating has absolutely no place in cricket or indeed in any sport.”

So why so quiet about cheating by Vote Leave in the run up to the referendum in 2016? 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/26/vote-leave-members-may-have-committed-criminal-offe...

Should those involved receive a lifetime ban from any involvement in politics? Or maybe just a 3 election ban?

And more importantly, how can the referendum result be considered to be the ‘democratically expressed view of the people’ when the basic rules of our democratic system were broken?

Surely we need to re-run the referendum.

142 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 63

Re: Cheating at Brexit

We can't send people to jail on the suspicion of a crime, we can't re-run a nationwide poll because of what "may" have happened either.

The opinions I express in general chat are always my own Smiley

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JonoH

We can and do send people to jail on the suspicion of a crime - it’s called being on remand. (Or ‘rendition’ when it involves sending people to a foreign jail because of a foreign power’s suspicions...)

However, that aside, it sounds like you would be in favour of re-running the referendum if it is shown that the rules were broken. In which case surely the whole of Brexit should be put on hold until the courts have had time to decide whether or not the rules were broken?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

So our democratic system is unfair and manipulated - well that's a new one. Who'd have thought eh.

What makes it worse of course is the Remain brigade were squeaky clean. Really? They need to look in the mirror and at history. Have we all forgotten how the European Council President Donald Tusk, said western political civilisation would be destroyed if the UK voted 'Leave' or Cameron speech about the "serried rows of white headstones" that World War 3 would be upon us if Brexit occurred?

Stuff and nonsense, so stop desperately grabbing at straws and accept (which some never will) that the UK is leaving.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Donald Tusk, said western political civilisation would be destroyed if the UK voted 'Leave' or Cameron speech about the "serried rows of white headstones" that World War 3 would be upon us if Brexit occurred?

And how did those two things break the rules? Or the laws governing the referendum? They didn’t? Oh... so that really isn’t relevant then, is it? Perhaps you should follow your own advice and

@Minivanman wrote:

stop desperately grabbing at straws

Fixes: 247

Moderators Note.
I'm placing a note earlier in this thread as it's yet another emotive subject.
If you wish to be able to carry on with such topics lets have polite and courteous posts from all sides.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

So telling lies is not breaking the rules?

Maybe in your world.  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@dvorak

"Your name will also go the list" Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1HwKA0J-gU

Community Veteran

Jail for such minor infractions or suspicions. Who would decide what?

And what would come next.

Disagreeing with the OP to result in a months posting ban? Or perhaps a lifetime ban?

It would certainly shorten some threads, save bandwidth.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, @Minivanman, I take your point. However, if we are to add lying into the mix, I think we would have to accept that untruths were told by both sides. After all, who could forget that bus? 

But if lies were told, then does that not support the view that the referendum result cannot be seen as the genuine expression of the “will of the people”?

A4C70FB0-16A1-4F2C-9988-F33C661CBCD5.jpeg

That bus was factually accurate, we do send that much.
Just because it doesn't mention the rebate we get back etc. doesn't mean it's incorrect.
A tad misleading if taken at face value perhaps, but not an out and out lie. Which is pretty much what all politicians do from all sides.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dvorak

We don’t send that much. The rebate is taken off before the money is sent. But surely saying that we would have £350M a week available  to fund the NHS is... well... a lie? And certainly more than ‘a tad misleading’ as you put it.

And do you not remember the one about Turkey being on the verge of joining the EU and what a security threat that was? Absolute nonsense. Or a ‘lie’ as it is known...

I merely pointed out that the gross amount is 350 million before rebate and that was correct, which you brought up.
There is no desire on my part to re-hash the misinformation dished out by either side.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous

Lets face it, when was our first past the post system ever fair, or come to that those women only short lists beloved of Labour and one where my old constituency of Neath was obliged to select from a list of three. 

The system has always been rotten which is why we need electoral reform, but those sitting pretty on those green benches are just going to sit on the hands as well, refusing to raise them for the Single Transferable Vote.

Ah well, the fact that you cannot please all of the people all of the time is certainly true. 

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I don't know anyone, Remain or Leave voters, who hadn't decided how to vote in the referendum long before the campaigning started.  The media hype and the literature provided by the political parties and the government were all in favour or remaining, yet the majority voted Leave.

It now looks like what we suspected is happening, i.e. we'll remain in all but name.