cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheapest/best sim for occasional data use

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Cheapest/best sim for occasional data use

With the demise of Samba, just as I was about to use it tomorrow!, I am need of a CHEAP sim data deal.
I don't need 1000's of minutes or Gb's of data, it is only for gps/google maps & email on my phone.
I am thinking about a 3 sim on 123 plan so with £10 I get loads of data @1p/Mb used and it doesn't just last a month, as I will probably take about a year+ to use £10's worth. (going for about £7 on ebay for a sim with £10 on it)
I also have a Peoplesnetwork sim but think it is a 30day expiry ?
So what are your thoughts?
13 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Cheapest/best sim for occasional data use

PAYG sim from 3 is a good deal, if you buy the 10 pound bundle (unlimited internet with texts and calls ) they only last 30 days but there's no run out time on cash top-ups so long as you use the phone at least once a month.
my kids all have zero spend contract's from 3 (unlimited data, 5k texts, 100 minutes) for £13 a month (I say zero spend because whilst they could buy topups and apply them to the account to get extra's with they cant go over the plan's "free" allowances)
in my experience there plan costs are cheaper then anyone elses and in the month you apply any topup to the account you get 150mb of data as a bonus valid for 30 days,
other providers seem to offer far lower data limits and charge per MB if you decide you would be better off buying bundles or going with a contract, as an added bonus as well 3's network is upgrading to give 4g service without charging a premium for it
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Have a look at GiffGaff.  Wink
Community Veteran

Looked at GG but it seems to be a 30 day rolling contract again. I just want to use a little seldom rather than pay £10+/month (which I can't afford!)
Community Veteran

Really?  Undecided
I have several GG sims and they're all basically PAYG and mostly used for data on smartphones.
Just top up credit as and when needed, which isn't often. Look past the Goodybags.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

GiffGaff prices here http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing
You can also earn payback ( which can be used as credit ) by helping on their forums.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m looking for something similar to HB..... but... I don`t make phone calls....or do texting.....  I just want it for mobile wifi internet connection...
I have a PAYG phone.... last top up was just before Christmas 2013... (£10).... I have still got just under £7.00  credit left... !...
( most of that £3.00 has been spent by her outdoors, when her credit has run out ! !   Undecided )
Already have a 3G dongle and sim card..... just sent them an email to ask them to confirm that the 3-2-1 plan top up of £10.00 will not expire in the next 12 months... ( answer is expected within 5 working days ! ! !) ...... so much for "high speed broadband ! ! ! ! !      Cheesy  )
Community Veteran

My PAYG phone on Tesco mobile, was topped up (£10) when I bought it, in 2006, still got £8 on it  Cheesy
I rarely text or use it for calls, it is for emergencies.
Will look at giffgaff again, headline seemed to be the bags, will look deeper.
Community Veteran

OK it seems to be saying that it charges 20p/day for upto 20Mb, then 20p/Mb. Compared to 3 which is 1p/Mb, so if I use 3.5Mb I would be charged 20p on GG and 4p on 3. Or if I use 100Mb, then it would cost me £16 on GG or £1 on 3?

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
just sent them an email to ask them to confirm that the 3-2-1 plan top up of £10.00 will not expire in the next 12 months... ( answer is expected within 5 working days ! ! !) ...... so much for "high speed broadband ! ! ! ! !      Cheesy  )

why not just look on the account page online ?
it tells what runs out and when next to the balance .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Compared to 3
Blimey, 3 are cheap! Haven't looked at them for a while.  Shocked
When my credit expires on my GG numbers I'll definitely look at moving to 3.  Cool
Community Veteran

Just put a TPO sim in just now, had it lying about, balance shows as £6.50 not bad as it was a free sim. Will use it till the credit expires.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Giff Gaff data is slower then a 3 legged tortoise trying to go uphill on ice at the moment, the problem is at Giff Gaff's end & apparently us Giff Gaff users are to expect a statement from Giff Gaff on what there going to do to fix it sometime in May  Roll eyes
As I have a healthy payback reward built up im waiting for the payout in early June before I decide if im going stay or PAC of elsewhere.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nanotm
Quote from: shutter
just sent them an email to ask them to confirm that the 3-2-1 plan top up of £10.00 will not expire in the next 12 months... ( answer is expected within 5 working days ! ! !) ...... so much for "high speed broadband ! ! ! ! !      Cheesy  )

why not just look on the account page online ?
it tells what runs out and when next to the balance .....

I have not got any credit on 3 at the moment.... and, although it says my account is "broadband"... it does not say that if I top up with £10 it will last forever without disappearing at the end of 30 days, like it did when I originally got the SIM card... this 3-2-1 tarriff looks as though it will go on forever, until it is used up... so I asked them to confirm that it will not expire during the next 12 months...