cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheapest Directory Enquiries number ? ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cheapest Directory Enquiries number ? ?

I am with BT for my phone.... and before anyone says "change it"... I`m not going to... (Better the devil you know;...... which has provided me with good service for 20 odd years... than the devil you don`t.....  Roll eyes )
Whenever I want a "unknown" phone number. I usually do research on the internet, as this is free... (ok so I pay bt for the line and PN for the connection)... however, my missus has just shown me how lazy she is... and 11 calls to 118 500 have cost £25.00 this month....
Yes, she has been suitably beaten.and almost starved to death, by placing her on bread and water for a week, together with turning down the central heating to 10 degrees, and I think she has got the message.....
however, I am sure she will revert back after a couple of weeks, and wondered if the cleaver moneysaving experts on the forum can come up with the cheapest directory enquiries using the "speech on the phone" and digitalis  mode....
9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Cheapest Directory Enquiries number ? ?

Community Veteran

You can get free enquiries from BT on BT.com - I think they limit you to 10 per day.  I've never had the need to use any other service.
On radio there is a company advertising a cheap directory service.  Their average call costs 48p but on top of this there is a connection charge of 87p from a BT line. Not cheap really Sad
Link added:  http://www.hellomaureen.co.uk/
itsme
Grafter

Believe 118 500 is still free if used from a BT phone box. This was useful when I had a telephone box across the road but it was removed 2 years ago.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't know how successful it is but there is 0800 118 3733 (0800 118 FREE) which is free from a BT landline. It plays a short advertisement then uses a voice recognition  system to look up the required number.
Are the required numbers in the paper phone book / yellow pages / Thomson Local that you are likely to have received?
Community Veteran

In the good old days when directory enquiries was a local service it was possible to tell the operator you didn't know the name of the business but it was on the corner of the High Street.  Amazing how many times the operator knew the business you were after and got you the number.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you cant beat free  http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha?

Which does not fill the criteria above.....

"speech on the phone"

Roll eyes
@artmo    Roll eyes 
@ Its me...... hardly a good idea,.... going out to a phone box (nearest at least half a mile away,) then coming home to make the call  Roll eyes
@ alan F..... that 0800 number seems like a good thing to try....  ( dumped  the yellow pages and phone book as they are never consulted... quicker on the net for me... missus too lazy,,,,, hence the post)
Community Veteran

smidgen off topic, but i agree with you, shutter, that bt does the job and the bit about the devil.  i don't see the logic in switching to someone who rents the line from bt to then rent to me.  the difference in costs is negligible, but i sorely resent bt raising the line rental again.
julesandsand
Grafter

Saw on The One Show last week 118500 had charged someone £58 for connecting someone to 999!!
At home I would use the internet to look up numbers but what about out and about on a mobile?
One of the 118 companies or your mobile operator?
The_10th
Grafter

I agree artificer & shutter re: phone provider. No one better to sort problems than the one who runs the network for little difference in costs.