cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap water

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cheap water

We just had a water meter installed. My estimate of the annual reduction in water/sewage charges will pay for our  broadband link
I live in a terraced 4 bed house in SE London and the kids have "flown the nest", the water charges based on the rateable value are £440 a year; under the metered scheme given current usage it will be a shade over £260. The Thames Water company is not the cheapest in the country by a long chalk, but it just goes to show that metered water may be a good option for some.
We may have to cancel the project to build an underground swimming pool under the house. That would send up the water charges.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
13 REPLIES
community
Grafter

Re: Cheap water

Yes you will not regret going to a meter.
We had one installed many years ago...can't remember when but at least 10 years.
Before we installed, we were paying £330 per year which immediately dropped to just over £200.
So by simple calculation, I reckon we have saved way over £1000!
Community Veteran

I'm paying £140 a year and have had a meter for at least 10 years.  On rateable value I was paying well over £300 so I'm happy with the meter Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just had my meter replaced, they say it is done every ten years, mine was 11
I think a single person over the road is not on a meter, will have to look when he is not out the front pressure washing his block paving, he has been doing it non stop for the last two days Crazy Crazy
Community Veteran

Believe it or not pressure washers don't use that much water. Just try filling a bucket via one.
Community Veteran

I broke into a drug smugglers' vault, cutting through 30 cm (12") of reinforced concrete using a high pressure water cutting jet. It only used 25 gallons of water and some garnet sand. The water pressure was 75,000 psi - a bit powerful than the average Karcher. Well that was the plot in one of my books. Not the kind of thing to use to clean your car  Wink
Still it was economical in the use of water, thus supporting VRCT's argument.
nadger
Rising Star

Have to agree that water meters can save one money provided they are connected to correct property.
Friend of mine split from his wife and bought house at other end of town. Couldn't understand why Anglian Water kept upping his DD so read meter and turned off water for weekend.
When he rechecked he'd supposedly used quite a lot of water so called out water company. He lived at No:4 but meter connected to No:14 and vice versa. He lives in a pedestrian cul de sac so properties face each other with green in between.
Friend lives on his own but four people in house opposite. They'd noticed water consumption had dropped but no reason to complain.
Friend got refund plus compensation and people opposite weren't charged extra for the 18 months involved.
Community Veteran

I had a similar problem in 2001 with a building in Moscow where I was responsible for the infrastructure, except it was electrical power rather than water. When we ran a power down test we discovered that our neighbours had tapped into our metered supply. The main problem was the neighbours were the local Russian Mafia complete with Ferrari's and Shoguns parked outside. An interesting management dilemma not taught in business school. Did we just disconnect them?
Fixes: 47

Very remotely Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

You've got it. I used used true Dilbert Pointy Haired manager technique. I quickly flew back to London then phoned the local Moscow IT Manager and told him he had to deal with with the problem.
He called the Electricity company and told them that they had a problem... That office was pulling about a Megawatt of power on a routine basis, their problem was we refused to pay the bill until they fixed the Mafia parasitic tap.
Money changed hands - it was fixed. We'd some leverage in that we'd paid a "security licence fee for telecoms" to the FSB a couple of months previously.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

here its not so much the Mafia (Or is it) its the canbis farmers who direct link into the mains, one very near me, the houses have storage area at the side of the front door, they had bored down though the concrete and direct tapped into the incomming mains
Community Veteran

It's all still very expensive for stuff that falls out of the sky. Using an infrastructure that hasn't much changed in several decades.
As it has been speculated elsewhere prices are kept artificially and unjustifiably high, by foreign owned companies, to help subsidise and keep charges down in their home country.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it might be, but 90 of our tap water comes not from essex but the midlands via a convoluted route and the Denver sluice on the Ouse
Yesterday a Cr...... builder who is building on the flood plain was digging a trench down the main road next to the entrance road an hit the main, when I went to town the road was under a foot of water, was he trying out the flood defence Crazy
Community Veteran

I wonder if the builder will pay for each cubic metre of water lost + repair cost .....