Cheap Eurotunnel Trips

nadger
Rising Star

Cheap Eurotunnel Trips

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Cheap Eurotunnel Trips

Thanks mate, will pass that on to the SO and their family.. we might take a trip over together!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Thanks Nadger.  Like you I look forward to my trips to France.  I stock up on my wines and also take a nice meal into the trip as well Smiley  Will be booking once I return from the US.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i wouldnt give france my custom! Shop local ;P
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 125

I'm interested in taking SWMBO to Calais for a bit of Xmas shopping but have never driven abroad before...
I'm aware of all the legal requirements for the car but wondered how far away from the station are any shops of note.
Could I just drive off the train, park the car and walk/bus/train/hike to the shops?
£22 seems too good a chance to miss Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: ukste20
i wouldnt give france my custom! Shop local ;P
We spend most of our money in Belgium  Wink
As SWMBO still smokes spending £800 in Adinkerke saves about £800  Smiley
Also need replacement rotisserie oven that can't be purchased in UK so will come from Auchan in Calais.
@Mav - we don't go there but Cite de Europe is next to Eurotunnel terminal so short drive if your worried.
A reminder to anyone driving in France that they now require 2 breathalyser kits to be carried in car.
We carry these kits, hi-viz jackets, headlamp converters and warning triangle.

Just had a look at Google maps, very close, indeed. Two roundabouts to navigate then the car park by the looks of it. I think I can cope with that.
I assume that it's much like Bluewater or one of many other in the UK with shops, restaurants, etc.
30 years since I was last in France.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Quote from: nadger
A reminder to anyone driving in France that they now require 2 breathalyser kits to be carried in car.

According the the AA this now doesn't come into effect till 2013.
Breathalysers - latest
The implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11  – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.
(October 2012)

nadger
Rising Star

@Mav - I'd heard about a delay regarding breathalyser kits but not seen anything official. Already have mine in car  Cry
Cite de Europe is a, now, fairly old hypermarket but used to contain all the major outlets. Web site will tell you more about current occupants but there used to be a large Carrefour.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wonder if you can buy fake breathalyser kits where the crystals just do not change  colour?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Within less than 5 minutes drive is Cite Europe.  It has a variety of shops including a very large Carrefour supermarket.  There used to be a Tesco Wine Shop also but this has now closed. Pity because they gave club points. Also a good selection of restaurants.
About 5 minutes in the other direction there is a large Auchan supermarket.  They give a very good exchange rate as well on currency. Sainsbury's used to be here but like Tesco have now closed.
Cite Europe

Thanks for the link.
For my first attempt at driving abroad that sounds ideal. Not too far.
SWMBO has never been to France so is looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it appears that I can't stay with the car while she shops (I hate shopping!) as she doesn't speak any French. I've tried to assure her they will also speak English but she wants me with her Lips are sealed
I'll try and teach her a few phrases before we go. With her accent we may have some fun getting her understood Cheesy

Looking at the link there's a mention of Ambleteuse, near to Calais.
That reminded me when I went with a friend and our mothers. I had recently passed my 'o' Level French and our respective parents were studying at evening classes.
We decided to show off by asking for directions from a couple of passers-by. We were so proud of ourselves until they replied and we didn't catch a word of it. We were used to the teacher who spoke slowly and this was the first time we actually spoke to a native!

Community Veteran

I don't think you'll have any problem with with the language Wink  Most of the people will be from the UK.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Just had a look at Google maps, very close, indeed. Two roundabouts to navigate then the car park by the looks of it. I think I can cope with that.

Mav, I suspect that you might kick yourself afterwards if you limit your journey to Cité Europe.
Cité Europe and the French Eurotunnel terminal are right on the A16/E40 motorway, which runs east-west along the coast. I'd suggest you at least have a blast along the A16 to see how you feel about driving on the wrong side of the road. If you are a reasonably confident driver, I think you'll be surprised to discover how easy it is on the motorway. After doing a bit on the motorway, you might just feel like having a go at mixing it with the traffic on ordinary roads. There are plenty of quiet little coastal towns and villages off the A16 you could have a drive around in order to get some practice.