cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap Car Spares

Fixes: 47

Cheap Car Spares

Believe it or not I used to think Halfords was a fairly cheap place to buy stuff for my car. Things like filters, plugs and oil.
I suppose I thought this because it's a place that deals specifically with this kind of thing and therefore would buy in bulk and pass the saving on to the customer.......please don't laugh, I've done worse.
HOWEVER
Spotting things like Castrol GTX High Mileage 15W40 4 Litre for £17.99 at Halfords  and for £14.99 at Wilkinsons of all places shattered all my cherished illusions.
Halfords, I remember, used to be a handy place for all your motoring needs. Now it's seems to be a high priced place for everything you don't need.....unless your needs exceed a 90db Sound Pressure Level.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Cheap Car Spares

Strat,  Here`s a tip from an ex- motor parts salesman.....
Give HALFORDS  (known as  "The Bike Hut") previously known (in your time as a kid) as the best place to buy a bike....Give Halfords a wide berth....(sorry that`s naval terminology for dont go any where near it  Grin  Grin )
If you dig out your yellow pages, and look up "motor factors" and call each of  them for prices of parts, you will be pleasantly surprised.... Smiley  (you will also be surprised at the differences in the price for the same part)    Cheesy  Shocked  Roll eyes ...  I have never bought anything from the bike hut for my car.....  Roll eyes

Thanks for the info from the inside Smiley
...and I should, of course support my local motor factors.
Community Veteran

You could also check out your local car accessory shops, sometimes they are cheaper than the factors..... Also for information..... I have never used the "premium brands" of Oil..... I always buy COMMA oils for my car,  They are made to the same (or sometimes better) spec as the major motor manufacturers  recommended specs.... I have never had any problem with them..... As I have only had Second Hand cars, the manufacturers warranty is not an issue..... Also, I use a local mobile mechanic to do my Oil Change/Filter change, AND I buy the parts from the Motor Factors so I only pay him for the labour.... He gets paid for the work he does, and doesn`t make a profit on the parts.... Wink

I've always done my own servicing so labour charges don't apply. I always buy a Haynes manual to go with any car I buy...and I've never had a new one.
Probably the only things I buy fitted are tyres and exhausts.
Clutches I have always done along with brakes although with my current car it would appear that they manufacturer built the bodywork around the engine as there is precious little space around it to work. Sad
Oh and of course now everything is computer controlled which means electrics are more complex and costly Angry Undecided
Community Veteran

Have you got one of them modern cars with the plug in diagnostics..... uses a scart plug somewhere near the fuse box? Huh
(where is that afro man when you want him? )
If so, there was a guy on ebay that was selling a bit of kit that could link you to a laptop and it had 3 software programs with it for diagnostic work on car engine management systems.... 
Called  OBD2 ELM323 interface....
Haven`t looked lately, but he could still be around..... Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I used to use that sort of thing before I packed up work, worked a treat and you could do all sorts of things with the output.
I think that all new cars have to have an EEC standard socket, that means only one metere,  vehicle several years ago had all sorts of different modules. 
Will have to look for that software sounds good.

Quote from: shutter
Have you got one of them modern cars with the plug in diagnostics..... uses a scart plug somewhere near the fuse box? Huh

Unfortunately in my case it was introduced a year after mine was made so it doesn't have the standard OBD2 connector as per the regulations.
I should be looking to replace it...probably with a push-bike as they are cheaper to fuel. Sad
Community Veteran

I should be looking to replace it...probably with a push-bike as they are cheaper to fuel.

Which brings us nicely back to the start......  Probably buy it at  Halfords  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin Sad

Cheers shutter....
I might have done once but not any more Wink Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

found the free software, lots of different versions, the only trouble was the interface cable, cheapest 49, dearest over 100
nadger
Rising Star

I bought OBD2 connector on eBay and downloaded free software
My older Thinkpad 600X has serial port so bought the cheaper connector - used it once to reset MIL light so in pocket already.

Nice one nadger......leave the local bodgers crying into their overflowing coffers Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: nadger

Reminds me, wouldn't be a good idea if there was some central point in the forums where all these useful links could be "stored" in some kind of type order; Motoring, Software, Hardware etc. Quite often I'd like to refer back to them at a later date, but often have to trawl for them. Yes I know I can bookmark them, you wanna see how many such I've got already, and don't know what half of them are for.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Interesting idea but quite a task to manage as bookmarks eventually fail for a variety of reasons like sites shut down or link targets get moved etc.
There are of course numerous download sites already available.