cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chasing Disease to Extinction

Fixes: 47

Chasing Disease to Extinction

Should we be chasing all diseases to extinction.

If we succeed, will the human population grow to such an extent as to cause a severe worldwide food shortage.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
37 REPLIES
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Chasing Disease to Extinction

It is not just food shortages that will be the problem.

There is a major problem at present in the NHS where beds are being occupied by those whose illness has been treated, but there is no where for them to be discharged to. Particularly the elderly. Local authorities have no room in care homes, and the home care industry is severely stretched with visits to their patients, being cut back to what is laughingly considered as a bare minimum, in some cases as little as 5 minutes. As the cost of care increases then I forsee that a shortage of money could be a deciding factor. This is already been seen in local authorities, with a large cut in the number of local authority care home places.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if it's a shortage of money but rather money being spent on the wrong priorities.

For example the money we spend on aid to other countries....sure we should send money and goods but to make a commitment of 0.7% increasing each year is plain wrong when people who have paid for services are unable to access them, life saving operations are being cancelled due to shortage of beds and medication being denied due to lack of funds how can that be justified.

Minivanman
Hero

That sounds rather Malthusian if I may say so.

Let's bring back Spanish Flu, the Black Death, and Smallpox - that'll sort it out. Global warming and food shortages? Bring it on!

Sorted. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

@agedgopher

Whatever happened to Senicide? Smiley

Remember this? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0yxxELdaUY

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wonder whether chasing disease to extinction will ever be possible. We can only know of those of which we are aware at any time. Who can say another won't appear soon after we say, "job done"?

More important is the damage done by our over use of things to tackle infections e.g. antibiotics, and perhaps the pursuit of uber-cleanliness; both reducing natural immunities. SWMBO was a District Nurse Midwife 50 years ago, and her opinion was that babies born at home seemed to have more resilience, than those who came out of hospital. They knew the bugs of the home.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Years ago as a five year old - and I mean years ago, myself and other tots would play (usually 'Dambusters' or something) in a 'river' running down from a sort of hole set into a bank of earth as I recalled. Unattended by adults we would spend hours on this section of Heathland back in the early 50s, and many years later I paid a passing visit to the area. Guess what, that 'hole' was a two foot concrete pipe and what looked to be some sort of outlet and yep, it's was still there and running with a trickle of smelly water. Some sort of storm drain overflow maybe but really no idea. 

Bugs? Bring em' on because sixty five years later I'm still here. Thumbs Up 

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman Senicide? Sorry that one had completely passed me by.

The pursuit of ultra cleanliness and a lack of exposure to bugs in general, I believe, has helped to create the large increase in allergies and a lack of resistance to the common illnesses that exist today.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fully agree with that.

In addition to that who knows what harm we may be doing to our immune systems with various additives in food and chemicals in household products that may weaken our systems.

How many things were considered safe years ago, only for us to discover in later years they were far from safe.

Equally new viruses may well be produced by some countries, either for research or as a weapon ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Strat wrote:

Should we be chasing all diseases to extinction.

If we succeed, will the human population grow to such an extent as to cause a severe worldwide food shortage.

I don't think it's possible to truly exterminate diseases to be honest. They've evolved from something somewhere and new ones keep turning up too like MRSA - 20 years ago it was unheard of, now every hospital is on alert for it (though technically an infection but the same principle still applies - it's biological and come from somewhere). It's almost as if the planet conspires against the human race when these new things keep turning up.

With that said, I have to wonder what the point of it all is anyway. We're making a right mess of the planet, the planet which seems to fight back, there are not unlimited resources here for us to harness so what happens once we've completely trashed it? - There's going to be tons of landfills that are breeding all sorts of vicious biologicals which will no doubt seep into water tables all round the world etc.

So from my POV no we can't exterminate diseases. Yes we may find cures for them but new ones will start coming about to replace them.

Sorry if some of you think thats all a bit far out, I do a lot of thinking... which is usually proven right a few years later. I should start writing down my forevisions in a book / online and release them early...

PS Strat... what a weird question to randomly ask lol

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

@7up I'm rather prone to the occasional random moments of quizzical weirdness.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thats fair enough lol... Glad i'm not the only one

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Yes, I don't think bringing up babies in a near-sterile environment allows their immune system to develop.  My cousin used to pick up anything she found on the floor and put it in her mouth, including the occasional dead fly; she has always been healthy and is now in her 40s.

Luzern
Pro

and hopefully many years ahead, before ingesting an equine being!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

And the old joke was, went to the doctors..... who told her she was stable Grin