Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charlie Gard

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Charlie Gard

His mother has issued a statement, having decided to let him go after consideration of the latest MRI scan.

Personally I think she and her partner have made a brave and correct decision.

RIP Charlie, and after a time of healing may mum and dad be blessed with a healthy child.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
140 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Charlie Gard

Brave yes, not sure about the correct thing though but given the amount of damage that has happened to him thanks to GOSH stalling their every effort it may well be the most appropriate thing for the little lad now.

I feel very disheartened that GOSH decided so many months ago that they knew better than somebody light years ahead of them in the USA. The very thought that there is an expert out there that they dared to ignore just so they could forcibly destroy a young childs only chance is sickening. There needs to be an investigation now into how GOSH is run - this must not happen again. If I ever had a child in their care I would find it very hard to trust them or their motives now.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I feel for the parents Sad

But a part of me says they just been  prolonging the inevitable , no one knows how much pain and suffering the baby went through while waiting , so sad Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

7up wrote:

Brave yes, not sure about the correct thing though but given the amount of damage that has happened to him thanks to GOSH stalling their every effort it may well be the most appropriate thing for the little lad now.

I feel very disheartened that GOSH decided so many months ago that they knew better than somebody light years ahead of them in the USA. The very thought that there is an expert out there that they dared to ignore just so they could forcibly destroy a young childs only chance is sickening. There needs to be an investigation now into how GOSH is run - this must not happen again. If I ever had a child in their care I would find it very hard to trust them or their motives now.

So your medical knowledge and expertise is in the same league as the American Consultant then @7up. As you obviously have a full medical understanding about the condition the boy was suffering, you must also have had an opportunity to examine him, and of course how the American’s treatment could help him, to make such a statement, I think not.

I’m sorry but you’re talking through a sphincter in your body that isn’t your mouth. This is a sad and tragic case, and isn’t one for the armchair Paediatrician.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This statement from today's Times is relevant

Dr Michio Hirano of Columbia University Medical Centre in New York had been invited to see Charlie in January but did not take up the invitation until July 18, Ms Gollop said. He had also told the court in evidence that he retained a financial interest in the compounds he wanted to prescribe.

and this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4726448/Hospital-slams-Charlie-s-doctor-giving-false-hope.ht...

But lawyers for Great Ormond Street said they were concerned to learn the doctor had a financial interest in some of the drugs he proposed to use. The children's hospital said it was disappointed he had been so optimistic when he had not examined Charlie himself, or read his latest medical records or seen his brain scans.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Words and events beyond reason but when have they ever been second to emotion - although many would have said goodbye to this little chap weeks ago.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

7up wrote:

I feel very disheartened that GOSH decided so many months ago that they knew better than somebody light years ahead of them in the USA. The very thought that there is an expert out there that they dared to ignore just so they could forcibly destroy a young childs only chance is sickening.  or their motives now.There needs to be an investigation now into how GOSH is run - this must not happen again. If I ever had a child in their care I would find it very hard to trust them

@7up

You and I are just ordinary guys, so we cannot be experts, so how can either of us know that someone is light years ahead of GOSH? Have you got any unbiased links, please? Another aspect is that experts vary in their opinions.

GOSH gave it's opinion, and the parents disagreed, so the case had to go to law. At all stages the verdict was the same. 

GOSH has provided a run down, and from it's reading I can see nowhere where proper procedure has not been followed. The courts'decisions were made in Charlie's best interests and override  th fact that money was raised too. Therefore IMO GOSH have done nothing  for which to be pilloried. Therefore no investigation is required.

I hate to say this. In a way in total innocence and love for their child, it was the parents who set in motion the chain of events that has caused so much pain.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
maranello
Aspiring Pro

@Mook

I'm shocked at your response to @7up's comment.  He is entitled to express his opinion, and if you disagree you should be able to find words which are less insulting and inflammatory. 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Of course he's entitled to his opinion @maranello as am I, and if @7up finds my words 'insulting and inflammatory' then I can assure you he will make it very, very clear.

If my previous post offends you or anyone else then please feel free to report it to the Moderators.

maranello
Aspiring Pro

@Mook

I chose to respond openly rather than overtly via the Moderators, as I was expressing my opinion, and was interested if others shared my view.

Clearly from your response you see nothing wrong with the tone of your response, and therefore we obviously disagree. 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
nadger
Rising Star

It's a shame that a thread about this tragic event has once again been reduced to a slanging match between posters Sad

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

This is my view:

General Chat

For tech-free friendly chats and any ‘off-topic’ natterings.

Goodbye.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This is a very emotional subject and raises strong feelings in most people.

Some staff at the hospital have been threatened and we have seen on tv agroup of people with their plackards insisting Charlie should be allowed to live but emotions need to be seperated from fact.

Why would medical staff from one of the greatest childrens hospital in the world not want a baby to live ?  They have the medical knowledge and access to all the necessary equiptment to make a clinical judgement on Charlie and I think it irresponsible for someone to come along and talk about some diet as a way forward it is simply giving false hope to the parents.

No parent should have to go through what Charlies parents have had to go through but I hope their pain eases with time but it will never go away.

Minivanman
Hero

One wonders how this became so public.

Social and mainline media have a lot to answer for and I have a rotten feeling that the little chaps parents got caught up in it all. I feel for them I really do, but have the utmost respect for the hospital and the way they have dealt with the case.

As said earlier, they should have let Charlie go long before this.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/file/23731/download?token=TWJkSxZu

10. When the hospital was informed that the Professor had new laboratory findings causing
him to believe NBT would be more beneficial to Charlie than he had previously opined,
GOSH’s hope for Charlie and his parents was that that optimism would be confirmed.
It was, therefore, with increasing surprise and disappointment that the hospital listened
to the Professor’s fresh evidence to the Court. On 13 July he stated that not only had he
not visited the hospital to examine Charlie but in addition, he had not read Charlie’s
contemporaneous medical records or viewed Charlie’s brain imaging or read all of the
second opinions about Charlie’s condition (obtained from experts all of whom had
taken the opportunity to examine him and consider his records) or even read the Judge’s
decision made on 11 April. Further, GOSH was concerned to hear the Professor state,
for the first time, whilst in the witness box, that he retains a financial interest in some
of the NBT compounds he proposed prescribing for Charlie. Devastatingly, the
information obtained since 13 July gives no cause for optimism. Rather, it confirms that
whilst NBT may well assist others in the future, it cannot and could not have assisted
Charlie.

I think that this makes the position very clear