cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charlie Gard

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Charlie Gard

It's a very difficult decision to make to be fair. Same with pets, etc. there is no right and wrong answer and you will go on for years wondering whether you did the right thing. I do.

With the ambulance staff tried to resuscitate someone close to me (lasted about an hour), they said they if they did he would be brain damaged. I said "He wouldn't want that". I don't know if I did the right thing by saying that.

P.S. Sorry PlusNet and mods, it's not nice reading I know - but that's the way it is.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@7up

Now if you want to get irate about something consider the  number of healthy babies and in some cases mums who have died as a result of lack of equiptment, staff shortages or staff neglect, one of several recent examples being lancaster and morecambe bay NHS trust.

I guess most of us would be supporting you in your views about that.

Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:

It's a very difficult decision to make to be fair. Same with pets, etc. there is no right and wrong answer and you will go on for years wondering whether you did the right thing. I do.

With the ambulance staff tried to resuscitate someone close to me (lasted about an hour), they said they if they did he would be brain damaged. I said "He wouldn't want that". I don't know if I did the right thing by saying that.

P.S. Sorry PlusNet and mods, it's not nice reading I know - but that's the way it is.

The key question to ask is why you are doing something is to your own benefit or the benefit of the person ?

Some people for example have strong religious views and may want to remain alive no matter what the circumstances whilst others with some incurable condition have had their bodies frozen in the hope their life might continue at a later date but on the other hand if someone has expressed the wish not to continue living due to a physical condition that affects their quality of life and can only get worse who has the right to go against their wishes, so what you said given the above circumstances would seem correct to me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One other article in the Mail not covered here; is that at no time have Charlies' parents personally criticised the procedures or staff of the GOSH. They have though criticised the media for doing so, sometimes erroneously in their name.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Mook wrote:

Yes, very serious. Surely it would only be a slanging match if we were trading insults and we are not, we are merely having a discussion regarding what the other has said.

I used that turn of phrase as the vernacular version would have been censored. Yes, I suppose I could have said “I think you’re talking rubbish…” but, well… I didn’t.

Mook it's too late to be polite. You wanted to start getting nasty, thats your issue. Don't now go trying to pretend it was anything other than that, the damage is done.

Not that i care in the slightest anymore.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

You take from my posts what you will, and interoperate them anyway you like that's your prerogative, I know what I meant and where I stand, and I'm happy with that.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@gleneages
How is it to my benefit? I had to make a decision for my father, who sadly I couldn't ask at the tine. I know what he would have wanted. Do I feel bad about it? Yes of course I do.
We have a member of the family who after a bad stroke had difficulty walking and couldn't talk. Still can't and I know what his wishes (my dad's) would have been.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

@Alex wrote:

The key question to ask is why you are doing something is to your own benefit or the benefit of the person ?

Some people for example have strong religious views and may want to remain alive no matter what the circumstances whilst others with some incurable condition have had their bodies frozen in the hope their life might continue at a later date but on the other hand if someone has expressed the wish not to continue living due to a physical condition that affects their quality of life and can only get worse who has the right to go against their wishes, so what you said given the above circumstances would seem correct to me.

@gleneagles Your first point is a very worthy one. I don't wish to impugn any suspect motive to the American professor, though he thought to have financial interments in the drug, but it has to be recognised that the States' system is  considerably more driven by the profit motive, than ours.

I question whether strong religious views would make a patient particularly anxious to stay alive at all costs. I'd say that he/she, having faith in God may be more content to depart. (I actually knew of a case of a friend who took such a decision even though treatment was available). If anything, it's the non religious who want to want to remain alive no matter what. It's they, who get up tight about missing organs from a child's body; a peculiar uptaking of early christian views of the body after death and resurrection, yet there's nothing like that in their thoughts; merely sentimentality or superstition.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

Who knows what the future would have held for mum and dad, and Charlie had he gone to the States! The struggles and heartache must already have put a strain on the relationship of the couple. I pray that the strain will not prove too

much, but we know unfortunate follow ups on such times are not the rarest.

The generosity of those who raised funds is not for criticism, but what if the couple saw little or no improvement yet felt pressed to carry on at expense without further financial support. Culture these days is to give on emotion. and then on to the next thing. I fear that would be much worse for them.

I do not know, how the fund raising was arranged, what it's remit was: a trust perhaps. I hope the remit was not written too narrowly. Too narrowly written can make it well nigh impossible to use money for even closely related causes. What a waste that would be!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Alex

I may have misunderstood what you were saying or you misunderstood my reply.

Clearly you knew your father well and his loss must have been very painful for you, what you said was based on what you thought your father would have wanted rather than what you wanted which would have been to keep your father alive so he could still be with you, had you done that it would have been to your benefit but you did the opposite which your father would have wanted.

Sorry if my comments have upset you, that was certainly not my intention.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

Oh dear! I understand the parents, but practicalities do exist, so I do not have kind thoughts on the lawyer. He's the one causing more pain.Roll eyesAngry

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Luzern

I don't know how much had been raised on behalf of Charlies parents, over a million according to some reports, but what an amazing gesture it would be if after all that has been said, they donated it unconditionally to the Great Ormond Street Hospital.  

They would certainly go up in my estimation if they did. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Luzern wrote:

Who knows what the future would have held for mum and dad, and Charlie had he gone to the States!

That was a point I tried to make but everyone else apparently knew better.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern

I don't know how much had been raised on behalf of Charlies parents, over a million according to some reports, but what an amazing gesture it would be if after all that has been said, they donated it unconditionally to the Great Ormond Street Hospital.  

They would certainly go up in my estimation if they did. 

@Minivanman If they're not prevented for the reasons I mentioned

@7up Thank you for supporting my post to support yours, but I do have some difficulty in thinking our motives for making comments are that similar.Smiley

May interest some, an American perspective.

Highlighted
nadger
Rising Star

@7up 25/30 years ago I worked for a cab company that had a contract with GOSH.

I did pick up quite a few parents and children ( patients) from there and can only say that people I met held GOSH in high regard,